Posted to uk.d-i-y
richard

Default Power Jack for Sony Discman

Hello Everyone, I only manage to dip in here every now and then these
days but it is always nice to see the regulars still plugging away...

Anyway, would anyone know the specs for the power jack that would plug
in to a Discman? Maplin do a huge selection -- they said take it to
one of their shops and try everyone - I don't have a shop near me.

RS only do the 2.1 and 2.5 and another one ( I forget) none of which
fit. I have to make up a doodah for my mate's kids. 3 kids in the car,
trip to Germany, all with Discmans, lots of batteries. I have the DC
adaptor, just can't find the right power connector.

Ta.

--
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

richard wrote:
Hello Everyone, I only manage to dip in here every now and then these
days but it is always nice to see the regulars still plugging away...

Anyway, would anyone know the specs for the power jack that would plug
in to a Discman? Maplin do a huge selection -- they said take it to
one of their shops and try everyone - I don't have a shop near me.

RS only do the 2.1 and 2.5 and another one ( I forget) none of which
fit. I have to make up a doodah for my mate's kids. 3 kids in the car,
trip to Germany, all with Discmans, lots of batteries. I have the DC
adaptor, just can't find the right power connector.

Ta.

Have you thought of going to *Sony* site and looking up the specs?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
richard wrote:

Hello Everyone, I only manage to dip in here every now and then these
days but it is always nice to see the regulars still plugging away...

Anyway, would anyone know the specs for the power jack that would plug
in to a Discman? Maplin do a huge selection -- they said take it to
one of their shops and try everyone - I don't have a shop near me.

RS only do the 2.1 and 2.5 and another one ( I forget) none of which
fit. I have to make up a doodah for my mate's kids. 3 kids in the car,
trip to Germany, all with Discmans, lots of batteries. I have the DC
adaptor, just can't find the right power connector.

Ta.

Have you thought of going to *Sony* site and looking up the specs?

Proprietry items are sometimes incompatible with the standard Maplin
connectors - just to prevent folk plugging in their own PSU. You could
try Ebay for a s/h Sony psu.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
richard wrote:
RS only do the 2.1 and 2.5 and another one ( I forget) none of which
fit. I have to make up a doodah for my mate's kids. 3 kids in the car,
trip to Germany, all with Discmans, lots of batteries. I have the DC
adaptor, just can't find the right power connector.

There are well over a dozen sizes of these type of power connectors, so it
might be worth measuring the existing one. The diameter of the centre
contact can vary too as well as the outside one.

--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Sinclair

In message , John Weston
writes
I found the Maplin yellow power connector works fine with my Sony 7600
radio and another Sony device. I use this with a Maplin switched mode
PSU, which is probably overkill.

Roger that on the yellow tip - it seems to be an industry standard for
coding the tips. I have a universal PSU I bought from somewhere (might
have been Maplin) that plugs into the cigar lighter in the car and comes
with a collection of tips - the yellow tip from that fits my Discman.

I think from Maplin you would want a lead (AQ81C).plus tip I (AR22Y)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ce=14&doy=15m6

I have in my hands the PSU from my Discman and that has a yellow tip, is
4mm OD and has a small hole up the middle for the centre contact (about
2mm diameter).

For completeness it is centre +ve and 4.5 V @500 mA

Cheers,

Andy
--
Andrew Sinclair http://www.smellycat.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y
richard

Default Power Jack for Sony Discman --followup

"Andrew Sinclair" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Andrew, from the spec you gave me I was able to find the
wireable plug in the list.

Rich