Snowman

Default Getting cables under the floorboards

I would like to pass some cables across a downstairs room under the
floorboards. The last time I did this I lifted some floorboards in the
corners of the room, and shoved some plastic rods through with string
attached, pulling cables through with string and leaving the string there
when I finished. I'm going from different places this time, so can't use the
string. It was a bit of a faff though, so I wondered if anyone has any tips
for making the job easier, or what tools to use, etc.

Peter.

Christian McArdle

It was a bit of a faff though, so I wondered if anyone has any tips
for making the job easier, or what tools to use, etc.

Well, I use garden cane and twine. I've heard of people using toy guns
firing some sort of projectile attached to some despooled thread. This can
be used to pull through the string and then the cable.

If the ground below is smooth, I've even heard of cheap radio controlled
cars, a mirror and a torch being used in a similar manner. I doubt either
method would handle sleeper walls well.

Christian.

Ian Smeaton

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
It was a bit of a faff though, so I wondered if anyone has any tips
for making the job easier, or what tools to use, etc.

Well, I use garden cane and twine. I've heard of people using toy guns
firing some sort of projectile attached to some despooled thread. This can
be used to pull through the string and then the cable.

If the ground below is smooth, I've even heard of cheap radio controlled
cars, a mirror and a torch being used in a similar manner. I doubt either
method would handle sleeper walls well.

==============================
Hi Christian,

I don't know if it's an urban myth, but I remember a tale which involved
judicious use of a cat, some string, and a kipper.

Cheers,

Ian

Julian Fowler

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:07:34 +0100, "Ian Smeaton"
wrote:

I don't know if it's an urban myth, but I remember a tale which involved
judicious use of a cat, some string, and a kipper.

We used tinned cat food rathe than a kipper, and the string was very
light thread, partially cut so that it would break if it got snagged
.... but we did exactly this to start the process of running a cable
under the kitchen floor of a London flat :-)

Julian

--
Julian Fowler
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Julian Fowler wrote:
We used tinned cat food rathe than a kipper, and the string was very
light thread, partially cut so that it would break if it got snagged

But then you wouldn't be able to pull the cat out. Suppose they're cheap
enough, though.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Owain

"Dave Plowman" wrote
| Julian Fowler wrote:
| We used tinned cat food rathe than a kipper, and the string was very
| light thread, partially cut so that it would break if it got snagged
| But then you wouldn't be able to pull the cat out. Suppose they're cheap
| enough, though.

That Is Not A Nice Comment.

The problem with cats though is that they're inquisitive and may not take
the shortest route, so if they decide to have an explore all around under
the floorboards before popping out to claim the kipper you might have to
re-do cable length calculations.

I can't see a suggested derating factor for "Below Floorboards Pulled By
Cat" in the tables for mounting methods in the IEE regs.

Owain

Snowman

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:49:12 +0100, "Owain"

That's the difference between the IEE and the IETF

IETF? - Institution of electrical tractive felines?

Or try EIA/TIA 568 - lots of reference to CAT's in there :-)
--
Andy

Actually a CAT5 cable was one of those I was planning to go under the floor!

Peter.

Owain

"Andy Wade" wrote
| "Andy Dingley"
| That's the difference between the IEE and the IETF
| IETF? - Institution of electrical tractive felines?

Very good.

| Or try EIA/TIA 568 - lots of reference to CAT's in there :-)

The problem with anything more than CAT1 is getting the cats to pull in the
same direction. It must be bloody pandemonium trying to install a 6 CAT
cable. Particularly if only four of them like kipper.

Owain

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:10:53 +0100, "Andy Wade"
wrote:

That's the difference between the IEE and the IETF

IETF? - Institution of electrical tractive felines?

Internet Engineering Task Force

Publishers of RFC 1149
"A Standard for the Transmission of IP Datagrams on Avian Carriers"
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1149.txt

and RFC 2549
"IP over Avian Carriers with QoS"
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2549.txt
Owain

"Andy Dingley" wrote
| Internet Engineering Task Force
| Publishers of RFC 1149
| "A Standard for the Transmission of IP Datagrams on Avian Carriers"
| ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1149.txt
| and RFC 2549
| "IP over Avian Carriers with QoS"
| ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2549.txt

RFC 875 - Gateways, architectures, and heffalumps

Available from the above sites.

Owain

David

"Ian Smeaton" wrote in message ...
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
It was a bit of a faff though, so I wondered if anyone has any tips
for making the job easier, or what tools to use, etc.

Well, I use garden cane and twine. I've heard of people using toy guns
firing some sort of projectile attached to some despooled thread. This can
be used to pull through the string and then the cable.

If the ground below is smooth, I've even heard of cheap radio controlled
cars, a mirror and a torch being used in a similar manner. I doubt either
method would handle sleeper walls well.

I don't know if it's an urban myth, but I remember a tale which involved
judicious use of a cat, some string, and a kipper.

I've done the job using a pet rat (borrowed from a friend while on
holiday) - tied a length of cotton loosely around its middle and it
worked a treat (tied a length of string to the cotton, pulled that
through, then attached the cable to the string.

It was crucial that Ratty was constrained to operate within two
joists, so didn't have the run of the entire house between the
floors...

David
James Hart

David wrote:
"Ian Smeaton" wrote in message
"Christian McArdle" wrote in
message t...
[...]

Wasn't there a poster on here recently with a trained ferret earning a few
hundred nicker a week of the wee beastie?

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

Alan J. Wylie

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 18:11:25 +0100, Andy Dingley said:

Internet Engineering Task Force

Publishers of RFC 1149 "A Standard for the Transmission of IP
Datagrams on Avian Carriers"
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1149.txt

The first, and only implementation of the standard:
http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/

See also
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1217.txt

or any of the April RFCs listed at
http://home.swipnet.se/cfmd/rfc/dir/fye.html
http://www.bpfh.net/rfc/
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_1st_RFC

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.glaramara.freeserve.co.uk/
"Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,
Peter Twydell

In article , Ian Smeaton
writes

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
It was a bit of a faff though, so I wondered if anyone has any tips
for making the job easier, or what tools to use, etc.

Well, I use garden cane and twine. I've heard of people using toy guns
firing some sort of projectile attached to some despooled thread. This can
be used to pull through the string and then the cable.

If the ground below is smooth, I've even heard of cheap radio controlled
cars, a mirror and a torch being used in a similar manner. I doubt either
method would handle sleeper walls well.

==============================
Hi Christian,

I don't know if it's an urban myth, but I remember a tale which involved
judicious use of a cat, some string, and a kipper.

Cheers,

Ian

How do you get the kipper to run so that the cat will chase it?
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
PoP

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:42:28 +0100, Peter Twydell
wrote:

How do you get the kipper to run so that the cat will chase it?

Let me explain.....

The kipper is dead, and has no ability to run. What you do is pull the
kipper through using a piece of string from the place where you want
your cat to run to. Attach a piece of string to the cat before it sets
off, then you can collect the string from the cat when it comes out
the other side. Job complete.

Hmm, I'm sure there's a problem with my logic somewhere, but I can't
see what it is

PoP

And proved to work :- 'http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/'

and RFC 2549
"IP over Avian Carriers with QoS"
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2549.txt

AP

--

We were always told that a million monkeys typing for a million years
would eventually produce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the

Cables in plastic conduits Me UK diy 7 August 31st 03 05:32 PM
laying floorboards on concrete? Nicholas UK diy 4 August 27th 03 11:25 PM
Cooker outlet plates and 10mm cables Graham Gibson UK diy 5 August 27th 03 05:36 PM
Painting floorboards a colour M. Farlow UK diy 2 July 4th 03 03:43 AM