Posted to uk.d-i-y
d-i-Why?!

Default £300 to replace consumer unit

Just been quoted £300 parts and labour to replace an old fuse box with
a new consumer unit. Is this a reasonable quote? The parts are only
about £50 but I believe the new part-p regulations prevent me doing
the work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Just been quoted £300 parts and labour to replace an old fuse
box with new consumer unit. Is this a reasonable quote?

It is pretty much a going rate, AIUI.

The parts are only about £50 but I believe the new part-p
regulations prevent me doing the work.

Part P doesn't prevent you doing the work. However, if you do so legally,
you'll have to pay for an inspection, which might not be cheap.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

d-i-Why?! wrote:

Just been quoted £300 parts and labour to replace an old fuse box with
a new consumer unit. Is this a reasonable quote? The parts are only
about £50 but I believe the new part-p regulations prevent me doing
the work.

we had a discussion on this a while ago, and worked out that the
paperwork got completed in less than 1% of such jobs. The important
question is are you competent.

Its also worth mentioning that fuseboxes do get replaced with no good
reason many a time.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

"d-i-Why?!" wrote

***Just been quoted £300 parts and labour to replace an old fuse box with
a new consumer unit. Is this a reasonable quote? The parts are only
about £50 but I believe the new part-p regulations prevent me doing
the work.***

Need to check this with your own Building Control Dept but:

If you are competent to do the work yourself it should be possible to:

Advise BCO of work to be done (issue building notice)
Pay fee for BCO inspection (about £70 IIRC for upto £1000 value work)
Co-ordinate for them to inspect/test on completion, but prior to energising!

May differ between councils and it is worth checking that they are capable
of and willing to test.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"d-i-Why?!" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just been quoted £300 parts and labour to replace an old fuse box with
a new consumer unit. Is this a reasonable quote? The parts are only
about £50 but I believe the new part-p regulations prevent me doing
the work.

============================
If you're competent to do the job do it and then apply for a 'Regularisation
Certificate' from your local Council. They are obliged to do the testing for
the cost of the certificate only (about £70-00p) and if they decide to
appoint an outside contractor to do the testing (because of their own lack
of competent testers) they're NOT allowed to pass on the cost of testing to
you.

I did this about 6 months ago and my local Council confirmed that things
are as I've described.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

"d-i-Why?!" wrote in message
roups.com...
Just been quoted £300 parts and labour to replace an old fuse box with
a new consumer unit. Is this a reasonable quote? The parts are only
about £50 but I believe the new part-p regulations prevent me doing
the work.

I had an old fuse box replaced (before Part P) but less than 2 years ago.
For labour only I was charged less than £100 ..in Liverpool

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

wrote in message
oups.com...
d-i-Why?! wrote:

Just been quoted £300 parts and labour to replace an old fuse box with
a new consumer unit. Is this a reasonable quote? The parts are only
about £50 but I believe the new part-p regulations prevent me doing
the work.

we had a discussion on this a while ago, and worked out that the
paperwork got completed in less than 1% of such jobs. The important
question is are you competent.

Its also worth mentioning that fuseboxes do get replaced with no good
reason many a time.

NT

Another vague unsubstantiated comment from NT. To put my mind at rest, would
electrical credentials do you have ??

Steve Dawson ( At risk of a flaming )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

d-i-Why?! wrote:
Just been quoted £300 parts and labour to replace an old fuse box with
a new consumer unit. Is this a reasonable quote? The parts are only
about £50 but I believe the new part-p regulations prevent me doing
the work.

Well I had this job done two years ago; the labour cost was 50 GBP (for
2.5 hrs work).

Further to Owain's comment about testing, none was necessary in my case
(it would certainly have failed!) as the CU change was a prelude to me
doing a full rewire. A periodic inspection report by the same sparks
subsequently cost 84 GBP, so I suppose you could add that figure to my 50.

David