Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default £300 to replace consumer unit

d-i-Why?! wrote:
Just been quoted £300 parts and labour to replace an old fuse box with
a new consumer unit. Is this a reasonable quote? The parts are only
about £50 but I believe the new part-p regulations prevent me doing
the work.

Well I had this job done two years ago; the labour cost was 50 GBP (for
2.5 hrs work).

Further to Owain's comment about testing, none was necessary in my case
(it would certainly have failed!) as the CU change was a prelude to me
doing a full rewire. A periodic inspection report by the same sparks
subsequently cost 84 GBP, so I suppose you could add that figure to my 50.

David