Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

Default £300 to replace consumer unit

"d-i-Why?!" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just been quoted £300 parts and labour to replace an old fuse box with
a new consumer unit. Is this a reasonable quote? The parts are only
about £50 but I believe the new part-p regulations prevent me doing
the work.

If you're competent to do the job do it and then apply for a 'Regularisation
Certificate' from your local Council. They are obliged to do the testing for
the cost of the certificate only (about £70-00p) and if they decide to
appoint an outside contractor to do the testing (because of their own lack
of competent testers) they're NOT allowed to pass on the cost of testing to
you.

I did this about 6 months ago and my local Council confirmed that things
are as I've described.

Cic.