Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Graham

Default Combi-boiler heating at random

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on a problem I am having with
my combi-boiler. The problem is that the central heating comes on at
apparently random times, outside of the times set by the timer, and at a
high temperature regardless of the temperature settings. This happens
even when switched to "hot water only", i.e. the only way to stop this
happening appears to be by switching off the boiler completely. It
occurs intermittently for say half an hour at a time, but it is a bit
annoying especially now the weather is improving!

I don't have the combi-boiler model description to hand, if this would
be useful I can supply later. Does anyone have any ideas what could be
causing this. To be honest I suspect I'll have to call someone more
knowledgeable than myself out for this, but if I can be armed with some
idea of what's going on hopefully I can avoid any unnecessary expense.
Many thanks in advance,

Cheers
Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Paul Graham wrote:
[...]

Is it a wireless timer?

One of my relatives had a wireless remote timer and so did his
neighbour,both remotes where identical and the neighbours was triggering
the relatives reciever in the bathroom and vice versa.
It was pure coincidence that the relatives wife was to talking to the
neighbours wife about it that they happened to stumble on what might be
happening as it seemed too much of a coincidence that both parties should
have the same problem.

Uncanny but true.

Not saying this is happening to you but something wireless might be
triggering it?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Graham

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Is it a wireless timer?

One of my relatives had a wireless remote timer and so did his
neighbour,both remotes where identical and the neighbours was triggering
the relatives reciever in the bathroom and vice versa.
It was pure coincidence that the relatives wife was to talking to the
neighbours wife about it that they happened to stumble on what might be
happening as it seemed too much of a coincidence that both parties should
have the same problem.

Uncanny but true.

Not saying this is happening to you but something wireless might be
triggering it?

An interesting idea, but no, the timer is wired.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 29 May 2006 11:47:32 +0100, Paul Graham wrote:

[...]

Could be a warm start facility possibly as an option or as a permanent
feature.

A tad more to go on than "combi-boiler" would assist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
kimble

Paul Graham wrote:

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on a problem I am having with
my combi-boiler. The problem is that the central heating comes on at
apparently random times, outside of the times set by the timer, and at a
high temperature regardless of the temperature settings. This happens
even when switched to "hot water only", i.e. the only way to stop this
happening appears to be by switching off the boiler completely. It
occurs intermittently for say half an hour at a time, but it is a bit
annoying especially now the weather is improving!

Dodgy microswitch on the hot water flow sensor wossname? Presumably the
heat then goes to the radiators, as there isn't any actual flow...

Kim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

Paul Graham wrote:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on a problem I am having with
my combi-boiler. The problem is that the central heating comes on at
apparently random times, outside of the times set by the timer, and at a
high temperature regardless of the temperature settings. This happens
even when switched to "hot water only", i.e. the only way to stop this
happening appears to be by switching off the boiler completely. It
occurs intermittently for say half an hour at a time, but it is a bit
annoying especially now the weather is improving!

Dodgy frost stat? (possibly built-in, and utilising one of the water
sensors)

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Graham

The boiler is an ALPHA CB24X
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Graham

kimble wrote:
Paul Graham wrote:

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on a problem I am having
with my combi-boiler. The problem is that the central heating comes on
at apparently random times, outside of the times set by the timer, and
at a high temperature regardless of the temperature settings. This
happens even when switched to "hot water only", i.e. the only way to
stop this happening appears to be by switching off the boiler
completely. It occurs intermittently for say half an hour at a time,
but it is a bit annoying especially now the weather is improving!

Dodgy microswitch on the hot water flow sensor wossname? Presumably the
heat then goes to the radiators, as there isn't any actual flow...

Kim.

Thanks to everyone who responded. It turns out that it *was* a dodgy
microswitch on the hot water wossname First prize to Kim

Cheers
Paul

Combi Boiler Stops Heating [email protected] UK diy 6 January 10th 06 01:37 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Heating design diagram (preliminary) John Aston UK diy 55 December 10th 04 08:31 PM
New CH System advice. Mark Trueman UK diy 20 October 12th 04 06:29 PM
Noisy new boiler when heating water only David Hearn UK diy 8 May 20th 04 07:44 PM