Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi Boiler Stops Heating

Hi,
Our combi boiler fires up when we put the hot tap on but after about 30
seconds it then stops again. After another 30 seconds it repeats the
process. Unfortunately this means we are unable to use the shower.

A British Gas engineer came round and, just by switching the hot tap
on, told us that the problem is not the boiler but the mains pressure
into the house and requested to call the water board.

They stated that if the neighbours are unaffected this would be
unlikely (which they are not). Also, the radiators still heat okay
(although they do not require the boiler to be constantly on).

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to resort to digging up my drive
unless all other avenues have been explored.

Thanks
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's a Potterton - around 5-6 years old.

Although the radiators are hot, the boiler still emits a similar
pattern when heating just the central heating, i.e. on for a short
period, off for a short period. I may be wrong, but I think the boiler
used to fire for much longer when heating the radiators before the
flame going out.

Would that still point it to the diverter valve?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One other thing. The cold water pressure from my taps is very high, the
hot water tap not so high.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil

Ed Sirett wrote:

The prime suspect is a scaled up secondary heat exchanger that won't allow
enough heat to go from the boiler into the HW.

If the model is a Puma then the CH delay is normal on-off 30seconds - on.
Longer than that it'll be the wax pellet actuator.
However it should not fire up and down repeatedly until the radiators are
hot.

The second British Gas engineer stated my water pressure was fine and
that the heat exchanger would need replacing due to limescale build up.

Before I get the quote, can anyone provide any insight as to what a
reasonable quote would be for parts and labour? Previous quotes from
British Gas have been halved by me obtaining the parts myself and
getting a local plumber/electrician to fit.

Non-modulating condensing boilers? Egremont UK diy 34 July 22nd 05 07:02 PM
Heating design diagram (preliminary) John Aston UK diy 55 December 10th 04 08:31 PM
New CH System advice. Mark Trueman UK diy 20 October 12th 04 06:29 PM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Noisy new boiler when heating water only David Hearn UK diy 8 May 20th 04 07:44 PM