Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Horton

Default Little house of horrors

Saw a bit of this last night when I was down the gym. so no audio.
Anyway, some dodgy geezers were doing a garden feature for a little old
lady. It had lights and a water pump. These were all powered from what
looked like unprotected T&E that was fed through a newly drilled hole in
the house and attached by some means to a double socket.

At least it's not a permanent connection.

This cable then ran the length of the garden to the feature that they
had constructed. All the electric connections and pumps etc. seemed to
be wrapped in plastic bags, sealed with tape and buried a few cm's under
the earth. Nice.

A testimony to the effectiveness of Part P.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:06:35 +0100, Rob Horton wrote:

Saw a bit of this last night when I was down the gym. so no audio.
Anyway, some dodgy geezers were doing a garden feature for a little old
lady.

What amused me was that after the program makers did a "this is how it
should be done" feature where they installed a new water feature and
pavement someone stole the lot. Hmm, which dodgy character with a truck had
recently been at the house?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Cap

On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:53:56 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:06:35 +0100, Rob Horton wrote:

Saw a bit of this last night when I was down the gym. so no audio.
Anyway, some dodgy geezers were doing a garden feature for a little old
lady.

What amused me was that after the program makers did a "this is how it
should be done" feature where they installed a new water feature and
pavement someone stole the lot. Hmm, which dodgy character with a truck had
recently been at the house?

Also it would have been interesting to know what they spent on the replacement
rockery. Me thinks a tad more than the £2500 the customer wanted to spend.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:02:54 +0100, Andy Cap wrote:

On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:53:56 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:06:35 +0100, Rob Horton wrote:

Saw a bit of this last night when I was down the gym. so no audio.
Anyway, some dodgy geezers were doing a garden feature for a little old
lady.

What amused me was that after the program makers did a "this is how it
should be done" feature where they installed a new water feature and
pavement someone stole the lot. Hmm, which dodgy character with a truck had
recently been at the house?

Also it would have been interesting to know what they spent on the replacement
rockery. Me thinks a tad more than the £2500 the customer wanted to spend.

They needed double the number of workers to finish the job in the alloted
time. That said, the sort of project i=involved is hte sort of thing I've
done in a weeked by myself. Much of the re-work was ********, for example
the renting of a skip. Why in the name of $DEITY? When I did a similar
water feature and rockery at a previous home the dug up old concrete
pavement was used as the structural element in the new rockery, saving a
fortune in good stone which only needs to be in a location where you can
see it.

The new scheme also used hundreds of bedding plants which is damned silly
in a rockery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Andy Cap" wrote in message

Also it would have been interesting to know what they spent on the
replacement
rockery. Me thinks a tad more than the £2500 the customer wanted to spend.

My thoughts exactly! Yes the 'little old lady' was ripped off by 'Water
features R Us' but they never said how much it cost to do it right, I bet it
would have cost a lot more than £2500 if she was paying for the labour etc.
I do like the program and agree that rouges should be 'named and shamed' but
sometimes I think the examples are programme biased.

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Rob Horton
writes
Saw a bit of this last night when I was down the gym. so no audio.
Anyway, some dodgy geezers were doing a garden feature for a little old
lady. It had lights and a water pump. These were all powered from what
looked like unprotected T&E that was fed through a newly drilled hole
in the house and attached by some means to a double socket.

At least it's not a permanent connection.

This cable then ran the length of the garden to the feature that they
had constructed. All the electric connections and pumps etc. seemed to
be wrapped in plastic bags, sealed with tape and buried a few cm's
under the earth. Nice.

A testimony to the effectiveness of Part P.

I also remember the baldy beardy **** saying (about the roof tiles)
something along the lines of "Even a DIYer could have done better

Got my back up, that did, when I get the exact wording, I shall write in
and complain

******

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , John
wrote:

I do like the program and agree that rouges should be 'named and shamed' but
sometimes I think the examples are programme biased.

Always the way in TV. I would normally take any opportunity to knock the
aerial cowboys featured. I agree that he was a con artist, but take issue
with the fact that "A new aerial was not required". Maybe in the strictest
sense, but we would have advised that the aerial was obviously a cheap
"contractor" type and so would be unsuitable for reliable digital
performance, bearing in mind the analogue closedown not far away. She would
then have had the option of repairing the existing rig. or replacing to full
digital spec.

One other point was the lashing. If he had replaced that, he would have been
critisised for more non required work! If it was in good condition, there
would be no need to replace it. The brief glimpse I saw, looked fine, but
maybe it was u/s?

--
AJL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White

John wrote:
I do like the program and agree that rouges should be 'named and
shamed'

Whoops, spell checker strikes again...

Certainly rogues should be named and shamed, but it's wrong to persecute
rouges.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Ian White contains these words:

Certainly rogues should be named and shamed, but it's wrong to persecute
rouges.

Nah, hound the pinkos.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember raden saying
something like:

I also remember the baldy beardy **** saying (about the roof tiles)
something along the lines of "Even a DIYer could have done better

Right old ****ed roof that was; looking at it sideways would have had
the tiles off.
--

Dave

New house Older than Told and has multiple issues inspector missed. [email protected] Home Ownership 8 January 25th 06 05:33 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Ownership 4 March 4th 04 04:31 AM
House Moisture JAG Home Repair 6 August 29th 03 06:53 PM