Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whats the best way to fill a gap in between plasterboard walls??

My house its a newish type with the external walls being brick, block
and "dob-n-dabed" plasterboard and the internal ones are just
plasterboard fixed to metal 'studs'.

On impulse, I decided to rip down a stud wall between my 2 little
bedrooms, to make way for a 'games' room' .

I found that the end which met the external wall, the stud wall was
errected first and this means that there is a gap of about 4" between
the plasterboard of the 2 old rooms (I hope this makes sense) which
goes back to the block work.

I have salvaged some of the old plasterboard and cut it into strips
which I will use to fill the gap, but I have a number of quesitons.

1. What should I use to fix the plasterboard into the gap. I realised
that Plasterboard Adhesive is the correct stuff, but these is just an
8ft x 4" strip and I wonder if there is anything else i could use.

2. Is it worth "tapeing" the new joints at either side of this new
strip of board?

3. What should I use to 'finish' the surface so that its a close match
to the rest of the room.

I have already bought a tub of 'jointing compound', but I am starting
to think that it might be the wrong stuff for this kind of job..

Can anyone else recommend something which would be ideal for a job like
this?

I look forwards to your thoughts

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On thing I want to point out that may not be clear in my original post
is that the 'strip' of board that I am fitting goes against a block
wall.

There are already 2 board (From the original rooms) fitted and finished
against and external wall.. There is simply a 3-4" gap between them
(where the old stud wall used to be) which I need to fill.

I was wondering if I could simply screw the strip of board to the
blocks (using some off-cuts of timber to give me the required gap)?

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Insulation?? What type of insulation are you talking about?

I just want to use the Plasterboard, as its simply scrap from the wall
I have taken down and costs nothing...

When it comes to 'skimming', whats the best kind of product for largish
areas like this? Will the 'Joint Filler' that I have bought do the job?

The reason I bought its that as well as the gap in the wall, I also
have to finish the ceiling and the opposite wall too and figured that i
would use the same stuff that they used when the house was built!

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

wrote:

I just want to use the Plasterboard, as its simply scrap from the wall
I have taken down and costs nothing...

The simplest would be to fix the plasterboard to the wall on a few dabs
of adhesive. Try and set its level just a fraction below that of the
existing bards.

When it comes to 'skimming', whats the best kind of product for largish
areas like this? Will the 'Joint Filler' that I have bought do the job?

Yup, use the joint filler[1]. Once the filler has gone off, give it a
sand and job done.

[1] If you can get yourself a nice wide trowel or taping knife all the
better - a cheapo wickes version of:

would do nicely and makes it easier to get a nice even smoth finish to
the filler which saves too much sanding.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony

I did this exact thing myself a month ago and I agree with John Rumm -
cut a piece of plasterboard to size and set it on adhesive into the gap
onto the blockwork (I actually used coving adhesive - long story but it
worked and dried real strong). Set it just below the level of the two
existing boards. Then, when it's all set, use a trowel to lay joint
filler over the whole new 3-4" board, scraping off the excess to the
level of the existing boards using a jointing knife. It's important to
use a nice, wide, flexible jointing knife to get a level finish.
Finally, when the jointing compound is dry, sand real well to leave a
smooth surface ready for priming before you paint it.

To get a good result, focus on getting a smooth, level finish with the
jointing knife and lots of sanding.

To avoid cracking at the joints in future you might choose to also use
some scrim tape over the joints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Tony wrote:

To avoid cracking at the joints in future you might choose to also use
some scrim tape over the joints.

Only problem with that is the tape will be going on to an already
finished surface, which I found is more trouble than it's worth.

You have to feather the finished surface over the tape and well onto the
finished wall. This leads to loads of dust and sanding and leaves the
"new" bit of wall higher than the wall either side. You just won't ever
get it not noticeable.

I'd give the tape a miss.
Even on tapered edge P.Board I found the tape troublesome when using
Jointing compound to "fill in" the joint.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.