Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whats the best way to fill a gap in between plasterboard walls??

My house its a newish type with the external walls being brick, block
and "dob-n-dabed" plasterboard and the internal ones are just
plasterboard fixed to metal 'studs'.

On impulse, I decided to rip down a stud wall between my 2 little
bedrooms, to make way for a 'games' room' .

I found that the end which met the external wall, the stud wall was
errected first and this means that there is a gap of about 4" between
the plasterboard of the 2 old rooms (I hope this makes sense) which
goes back to the block work.

I have salvaged some of the old plasterboard and cut it into strips
which I will use to fill the gap, but I have a number of quesitons.

1. What should I use to fix the plasterboard into the gap. I realised
that Plasterboard Adhesive is the correct stuff, but these is just an
8ft x 4" strip and I wonder if there is anything else i could use.

2. Is it worth "tapeing" the new joints at either side of this new
strip of board?

3. What should I use to 'finish' the surface so that its a close match
to the rest of the room.

I have already bought a tub of 'jointing compound', but I am starting
to think that it might be the wrong stuff for this kind of job..

Can anyone else recommend something which would be ideal for a job like
this?

I look forwards to your thoughts

Jon