Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whats the best way to fill a gap in between plasterboard walls??

My house its a newish type with the external walls being brick, block
and "dob-n-dabed" plasterboard and the internal ones are just
plasterboard fixed to metal 'studs'.

On impulse, I decided to rip down a stud wall between my 2 little
bedrooms, to make way for a 'games' room' .

I found that the end which met the external wall, the stud wall was
errected first and this means that there is a gap of about 4" between
the plasterboard of the 2 old rooms (I hope this makes sense) which
goes back to the block work.

I have salvaged some of the old plasterboard and cut it into strips
which I will use to fill the gap, but I have a number of quesitons.

1. What should I use to fix the plasterboard into the gap. I realised
that Plasterboard Adhesive is the correct stuff, but these is just an
8ft x 4" strip and I wonder if there is anything else i could use.

2. Is it worth "tapeing" the new joints at either side of this new
strip of board?

3. What should I use to 'finish' the surface so that its a close match
to the rest of the room.

I have already bought a tub of 'jointing compound', but I am starting
to think that it might be the wrong stuff for this kind of job..

Can anyone else recommend something which would be ideal for a job like
this?

I look forwards to your thoughts

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On thing I want to point out that may not be clear in my original post
is that the 'strip' of board that I am fitting goes against a block
wall.

There are already 2 board (From the original rooms) fitted and finished
against and external wall.. There is simply a 3-4" gap between them
(where the old stud wall used to be) which I need to fill.

I was wondering if I could simply screw the strip of board to the
blocks (using some off-cuts of timber to give me the required gap)?

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Insulation?? What type of insulation are you talking about?

I just want to use the Plasterboard, as its simply scrap from the wall
I have taken down and costs nothing...

When it comes to 'skimming', whats the best kind of product for largish
areas like this? Will the 'Joint Filler' that I have bought do the job?

The reason I bought its that as well as the gap in the wall, I also
have to finish the ceiling and the opposite wall too and figured that i
would use the same stuff that they used when the house was built!

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

wrote:

I just want to use the Plasterboard, as its simply scrap from the wall
I have taken down and costs nothing...

The simplest would be to fix the plasterboard to the wall on a few dabs
of adhesive. Try and set its level just a fraction below that of the
existing bards.

When it comes to 'skimming', whats the best kind of product for largish
areas like this? Will the 'Joint Filler' that I have bought do the job?

Yup, use the joint filler[1]. Once the filler has gone off, give it a
sand and job done.

[1] If you can get yourself a nice wide trowel or taping knife all the
better - a cheapo wickes version of:

would do nicely and makes it easier to get a nice even smoth finish to
the filler which saves too much sanding.

--
Cheers,

John.