Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet refurb: outlet problems

The downstairs toilet is due a refurb.

The current pan has a built-in outlet which disappears vertically into
the drain set in the floor but I've only seen replacements in places
like B&Q with a horizontal outlet. However, I'm told there are adaptors
to turn the horizontal outlet into a vertical one.

The question is: do they work well and fit easily, or are they a bodge?
If they're a bodge, can anyone direct me to an inexpensive source of a
suitable pans please?

If I can use an adaptor, will the new pan and cistern still fit up
against the wall, or will there be issues?

TIA

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Wed, 17 May 2006 23:44:49 +0100, F wrote:

The downstairs toilet is due a refurb.

The current pan has a built-in outlet which disappears vertically into
the drain set in the floor but I've only seen replacements in places
like B&Q with a horizontal outlet. However, I'm told there are adaptors
to turn the horizontal outlet into a vertical one.

The question is: do they work well and fit easily, or are they a bodge?
If they're a bodge, can anyone direct me to an inexpensive source of a
suitable pans please?

If I can use an adaptor, will the new pan and cistern still fit up
against the wall, or will there be issues?

TIA

Ive got one on mine and I would imagine loads of people do .They are just a
piece of pipe with a short horizontal bit and a longer vertical bit you push the
outlet on the pan in to the short bit and the other end fits in to the bit that
comes up through the floor ...suitable sealed with some material .I think I used
Plumbers Mait . I dont recall it causing any fitting issues.......

This is probably waht you are looking for ...

http://www.trademate.co.uk/products/productextra.asp?ProductCode=863582&M=I&Bounceback =/products/DrilldownProducts.asp?mode=2:Level2=7:Level3=BS:Su bDesc=WC's+-+Pan+Connectors

http://www.productselector.co.uk/Doc...882107.pdf?ac=

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]

There is also one with more of a 'swan neck' shape (hopefully the 'solids'
can make a sharp bend). Seen yesterday in B&Q when I was pondering the same
issue.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

F wrote:
The current pan has a built-in outlet which disappears vertically into
the drain set in the floor but I've only seen replacements in places
like B&Q with a horizontal outlet. However, I'm told there are adaptors
to turn the horizontal outlet into a vertical one.

"bent pan connectors"

The question is: do they work well and fit easily, or are they a bodge?
If they're a bodge, can anyone direct me to an inexpensive source of a
suitable pans please?

They're OK but not as neat as what you have now.

If I can use an adaptor, will the new pan and cistern still fit up
against the wall, or will there be issues?

You may have "issues". Measure up first, and I'd go to a proper
plumbers merchant rather than B&Q. You may be able to get a pan
like the one you have now (S trap). You may be able to trim the
pan. You may be able to use a swan-necked pan connector.

Do you really need to change what you've got? There's plenty
of tarting up you can do (chrome or "gold" flush pipe, seats,
different cistern...).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:

"bent pan connectors"

Is that a term for a gay plumber?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
"bent pan connectors"

Is that a term for a gay plumber?

I'm confused. How is a whistling plumber relevant?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

"bent pan connectors"

Is that a term for a gay plumber?

I'm confused. How is a whistling plumber relevant?

And can he whistle the Dabrowski Mazurka?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
The downstairs toilet is due a refurb.

The current pan has a built-in outlet which disappears vertically into
the drain set in the floor but I've only seen replacements in places
like B&Q with a horizontal outlet. However, I'm told there are adaptors
to turn the horizontal outlet into a vertical one.

The question is: do they work well and fit easily, or are they a bodge?
If they're a bodge, can anyone direct me to an inexpensive source of a
suitable pans please?

Work well enough IMHO. Most have rubber seals so they are a simple push
fit onto the pan.

If I can use an adaptor, will the new pan and cistern still fit up
against the wall, or will there be issues?

Depends on the relative dimensions of the old and new pans and cisterns
and where the outlet of the new one ends up relative to the hole in the
floor.

Go to B&Q and buy a selection of straight and bent pan connectors.
Later, you can return any (unused) that you don't need, for a refund.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the help. Looks like there will be less of a problem than I
imagined (famous last words...!).

--
Frank