Posted to uk.d-i-y
yourashower

Default fixing shower tray

Problem: Walls out of alignment in corner of bathroom. Walls already
tiled. Corner tray placed into corner leaves gap of about 5mm between
wall and shower try for about 2 feet along one wall (the space tapers
away). Should I just pack out with grout and then silicone on top?
...or what?

If I put the tray further into wall the shower enclosure will not fit.

Suggestions appreciated.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

yourashower wrote:
Problem: Walls out of alignment in corner of bathroom. Walls already
tiled. Corner tray placed into corner leaves gap of about 5mm between
wall and shower try for about 2 feet along one wall (the space tapers
away). Should I just pack out with grout and then silicone on top?
..or what?

If I put the tray further into wall the shower enclosure will not fit.

Suggestions appreciated.

Robert

Stuff the join with silicone than use silicone to fix a quadrant trim to
cover the gap - they look better than bare silicone and are much tougher.
Or - remove bottom row of tiles, fit tray, retile (and still fit
quadrant trim).

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
yourashower

Dave

Thanks for taking the time to reply....

1. don't have enough tiles to re-tile, sadly, and can't find anymore
beyond what I need to extend the tiled wall area around the new shower
enclosure. However, if I was to re-tile we wouldn't manage to lose the
fact that the corner is 90 degrees, so there would still be the gap.

2. When you say "quadrant trim" ... would a plastic quadrant trim,
siliconed on, be much better than, say, cementing a row of quad. tiles
and grouting them? For some reason a convex plastic trim not entered
my mind!

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

yourashower wrote:
Dave

.... snipped

2. When you say "quadrant trim" ... would a plastic quadrant trim,
siliconed on, be much better than, say, cementing a row of quad. tiles
and grouting them? For some reason a convex plastic trim not entered
my mind!

Robert

You need to guarantee a seal, using a continuous trim gives less
opportunity for gaps. Also, you can fill the space behind with silicone
so if anything gets around the trim it won't go further.

Tile shops sell a range of them, some are ceramic look-alikes in various
colours and effects.

Dave

Fixing a broken shower handle matt p Home Repair 5 November 14th 05 08:30 PM
shower tray repair Mike Regan UK diy 1 September 24th 05 09:58 PM
More shower tray probs jacob UK diy 8 March 9th 05 09:13 PM
Shower tray - advice on selection Lobster UK diy 5 January 9th 04 04:40 PM
another leaky shower question Witchy UK diy 6 October 9th 03 06:09 PM