Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

Default Fixing to prefab concrete garage

My Dad has asked me to go over and help fix up a cupboard in their
garage. The garage is a prefabricated concrete affair AFAICR. He tried
drilling it with his normal hammer drill but had no impact.

I'm taking my SDS over, but I'm wondering if attempting to drill it is
the best way, any other suggestions?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sun, 7 May 2006 20:34:06 +0100, chris French
wrote:

My Dad has asked me to go over and help fix up a cupboard in their
garage. The garage is a prefabricated concrete affair AFAICR. He tried
drilling it with his normal hammer drill but had no impact.

I'm taking my SDS over, but I'm wondering if attempting to drill it is
the best way, any other suggestions?

One way is to use some bracketry to pick up the panel joining bolts
(if it's that sort of 'prefab') and use those to create crossmembers /
batten to fix the cupboard to?

On mine I fixed 6 x 6 x 2" sawn blocks "Gripfilled" to each of the
panels (4 / panel), lined the garage with ply screwed to the blocks
and now I can fix most things where I like (you could do just one 8x4
panel maybe)?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

chris French explained :
My Dad has asked me to go over and help fix up a cupboard in their garage.
The garage is a prefabricated concrete affair AFAICR. He tried drilling it
with his normal hammer drill but had no impact.

I'm taking my SDS over, but I'm wondering if attempting to drill it is the
best way, any other suggestions?

--

I happen to have just done that this afternoon :-)

I needed to properly fix a shelf, one where I had myself tried to drill
a few years ago with a basic hammer drill and not managed to go deep
enough.

The SDS will easily do it, but obviously you need to avoid the
reinforcing steel around the edges of each section (cable and pipe
locator?). An obviously easy place to drill is in mid panel though the
panels are very thin there - too thin for screws and plugs, but nuts
and bolts work.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from chris French contains these words:

I'm taking my SDS over, but I'm wondering if attempting to drill it is
the best way, any other suggestions?

Glue a big slab of MDF up and fix to that.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

chris French wrote:
My Dad has asked me to go over and help fix up a cupboard in their
garage. The garage is a prefabricated concrete affair AFAICR. He tried
drilling it with his normal hammer drill but had no impact.

I'm taking my SDS over, but I'm wondering if attempting to drill it is
the best way, any other suggestions?

I should go very easy if you're drilling it, a "normal" hammer drill
should be OK unless you hit a bit of metak re-inforcing bar - if you
use a high-energy SDS you may crack panels, they're surprisingly thin.

Make sure all panels are held on properly, someimes internal (4x2
sheet steel with a hole in the middle) plates go missing. Use galvanized
bolts, head outside, not BZP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Chris Bacon
writes
chris French wrote:
My Dad has asked me to go over and help fix up a cupboard in their
garage. The garage is a prefabricated concrete affair AFAICR. He tried
drilling it with his normal hammer drill but had no impact.
I'm taking my SDS over, but I'm wondering if attempting to drill it
is the best way, any other suggestions?

I should go very easy if you're drilling it, a "normal" hammer drill
should be OK unless you hit a bit of metak re-inforcing bar - if you
use a high-energy SDS you may crack panels, they're surprisingly thin.

Make sure all panels are held on properly, someimes internal (4x2
sheet steel with a hole in the middle) plates go missing. Use galvanized
bolts, head outside, not BZP.

Fix to the posts

What's the problem ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

raden wrote:
In message , Chris Bacon
writes
chris French wrote:
My Dad has asked me to go over and help fix up a cupboard in their
garage. The garage is a prefabricated concrete affair AFAICR. He
tried drilling it with his normal hammer drill but had no impact.
I'm taking my SDS over, but I'm wondering if attempting to drill it
is the best way, any other suggestions?

I should go very easy if you're drilling it, a "normal" hammer drill
should be OK unless you hit a bit of metak re-inforcing bar - if you
use a high-energy SDS you may crack panels, they're surprisingly
thin. Make sure all panels are held on properly, someimes internal (4x2
sheet steel with a hole in the middle) plates go missing. Use
galvanized bolts, head outside, not BZP.

Fix to the posts

What's the problem ?

Concrete panel garages usually have concrete posts too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Phil L
writes
raden wrote:
In message , Chris Bacon
writes
chris French wrote:
My Dad has asked me to go over and help fix up a cupboard in their
garage. The garage is a prefabricated concrete affair AFAICR. He
tried drilling it with his normal hammer drill but had no impact.
I'm taking my SDS over, but I'm wondering if attempting to drill it
is the best way, any other suggestions?

I should go very easy if you're drilling it, a "normal" hammer drill
should be OK unless you hit a bit of metak re-inforcing bar - if you
use a high-energy SDS you may crack panels, they're surprisingly
thin. Make sure all panels are held on properly, someimes internal (4x2
sheet steel with a hole in the middle) plates go missing. Use
galvanized bolts, head outside, not BZP.

Fix to the posts

What's the problem ?

Concrete panel garages usually have concrete posts too.

I spent a year building these things

If it's a compton or a banbury , you have posts to build on to

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
raden wrote:
In message , Chris Bacon
writes
chris French wrote:
[...]

I'm just guessing that the posts are concrete, otherwise this post would
have been along the lines of 'how do I screw into timber posts?'

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Phil L
writes
raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
raden wrote:
In message , Chris Bacon
writes
chris French wrote:
[...]

You can go back to sleep ...
the posts have bolts which have sufficient "threadage" to be used on
the inside

--
geoff