Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem with new briggs & Stratton 40

Hi All,

I bought a new Hayter Hawk mower last year which came with a Briggs and
Stratton 40 engine (4 stroke). Auto Choke and a govenor instead of a
throttle.

I will cut a long story short, but it has never been a very good
runner, it has been running very rich, fouling the plug and now refuses
to start at all.

Unfortunately whille trying to figure out what was wrong I took the top
cover off while it was running and this hit the flywheel/fan as it was
coming off and broke a couple of the fan blades. I don't think this
has affected the way it runs, but the manufacturers or their agents
might consider it to breach the warranty terms :=((

It seems like it has been running with full choke, but I can't see any
choke mechanism. Previous threads speak of a carb where the choke is
shut by a spring and opened by vacum. There is what looks to be a
vacum connection to the carb (pipe about 1/4" bore) which connects to
the carb (to the bowl under the air filter) I can't see any way this
can act as a choke though. The connections on this seem sloppy so it's
possible it's not getting the necessary suck, also I put my finger over
the end while the mower was running and couldn't feel any "pull".
(Don't know if i would though??)

I've spoken to the supplier (Hilliers - Large garden centre/nursery) -
"We don't have a service dept, contact Horace Fuller for warranty
claims".

Horace Fuller "Probably because you are using last years fuel - we
could take a look, but it's unlikely to be covered by the warranty"

I did run a tank full of new fuel through, but it got no better and has
now stopped altogether.

I also emailed Hayter a couple of days back and got an automated reply
saying they would be in touch soon.

I am dischuffed! The previous mower had a Briggs and Stratton with a
manual choke and throttle which ran great with just the occasional oil
change for about 20 years. I only got rid of it as it didn't have a
grass box.

Questions.......

Anyone know what the problem might be? how to fix it?

Also how should I proceed with the supplier/manufacturer/agent?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Jones

My Briggs and Stratton mower wouldn't go after coming out of winter storage.
It started but then ran rough and eventually died, after that it wouldn't
start. The problem with mine was a torn diaphragm in the carb. The man in
the mower shop sold me a new one(£2.82) and now it runs as well as ever. He
also told me not to store the mower over winter with petrol still in the
carb as this is what weakens the diaphragm.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Jones wrote:
My Briggs and Stratton mower wouldn't go after coming out of winter storage.
It started but then ran rough and eventually died, after that it wouldn't
start. The problem with mine was a torn diaphragm in the carb. The man in
the mower shop sold me a new one(£2.82) and now it runs as well as ever.. He
also told me not to store the mower over winter with petrol still in the
carb as this is what weakens the diaphragm.

Is that the very thin thing between the carb and the petrol tank?

I couldn't get a new one this weekend, but had a look at the old one
and it seems to be intact :=((

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Jones

That's the part!
It only needs to be a pinhole to affect the performance.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil Jones wrote:
My Briggs and Stratton mower wouldn't go after coming out of winter
storage.
It started but then ran rough and eventually died, after that it wouldn't
start. The problem with mine was a torn diaphragm in the carb. The man in
the mower shop sold me a new one(£2.82) and now it runs as well as ever.
He
also told me not to store the mower over winter with petrol still in the
carb as this is what weakens the diaphragm.

Is that the very thin thing between the carb and the petrol tank?

I couldn't get a new one this weekend, but had a look at the old one
and it seems to be intact :=((

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Phil Jones wrote:
That's the part!
It only needs to be a pinhole to affect the performance.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil Jones wrote:
My Briggs and Stratton mower wouldn't go after coming out of winter
storage.
It started but then ran rough and eventually died, after that it wouldn't
start. The problem with mine was a torn diaphragm in the carb. The man in
the mower shop sold me a new one(£2.82) and now it runs as well as ever.
He
also told me not to store the mower over winter with petrol still in the
carb as this is what weakens the diaphragm.

Is that the very thin thing between the carb and the petrol tank?

I couldn't get a new one this weekend, but had a look at the old one
and it seems to be intact :=((

Ive had B & S for years and never paid any attention to laying them up
for the winter.

I did have a big problem when I laid one up for 2 years tho. Battery was
totally flat and the old petrol in it really didn't want to fire up...

I bought a new battery, and drained as much old fuel as I could, and
refilled with new....after it got started i put the old petrol back
in..it ran OK ish diluted about 50/50 with new.

In general if these things are getting enough fuel, and a spark, they
will at least start.

Check the choke is working, and if possible drain the carb and tank and
clean any jets, and refill with new fuel. Should fire up allright.

Rough running sounds like water or dirt in the fuel. Or a very rich
mixture..when it did start, did it run smoky blue? Or run in bursts, or
just sound like it wanted to tear its guts out it was so irregular?

I forgot which Briggs it was, and whether it had a motor start or pull
start..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Phil Jones wrote:
That's the part!
It only needs to be a pinhole to affect the performance.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil Jones wrote:
[...]

Push mower with pull start .

Hayter eventually answered my email and arranged for one of their
dealers to take a look at it. Here is what he found for those who come
Googling after

He checked the gasket mentioned above, and despite the fact that it has
a bit of a bulge in it he siad it didn't look too bad. He replaced it
with a (flat) new one, but although he managed to start the mower, it
still didn't run right.

He said ti could be a dud coil, spark plug, or else the keyway had gone
on the flywheel. He checked the flywhel which was fine, and then
replaced the plug.

The machine then ran fine.

He reconnecd the plug had probably been dud since new. he reconned the
ones that Brigs and Stratton fit aren't up to much.

I had intended to replace the plug and gasket myself last weekend, but
when I wasn't able to get the gasket I didn't bother getting the plug.

Oh well, I saved a few quid, as he siad he would send the bill to
Hayter.

He said a couple of other things, the carb is one piece plastic and has
no jets or float. The aforementioned gasket kind of flutters like a
heart valve in order to supply the fuel. Also it has no choke as such
9though I think it somehow supplies a richer mixture when it's at low
revs (ie hasn't started).

He reconned that they are usualy very reliable, though some customers
machines seem to require a new gasket each season, while others don't.
- Perhaps it's a split between those who follow the manufacturers
instructions not so store the machine with petrol in, and those who
don't.

He also said not to tip the machine over on it's right hand side
(petrol tank side) as that results in the contents of the sump going
into the carb!