Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Problem with new briggs & Stratton 40

Phil Jones wrote:
That's the part!
It only needs to be a pinhole to affect the performance.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil Jones wrote:
My Briggs and Stratton mower wouldn't go after coming out of winter
storage.
It started but then ran rough and eventually died, after that it wouldn't
start. The problem with mine was a torn diaphragm in the carb. The man in
the mower shop sold me a new one(£2.82) and now it runs as well as ever.
He
also told me not to store the mower over winter with petrol still in the
carb as this is what weakens the diaphragm.

Is that the very thin thing between the carb and the petrol tank?

I couldn't get a new one this weekend, but had a look at the old one
and it seems to be intact :=((

Ive had B & S for years and never paid any attention to laying them up
for the winter.

I did have a big problem when I laid one up for 2 years tho. Battery was
totally flat and the old petrol in it really didn't want to fire up...

I bought a new battery, and drained as much old fuel as I could, and
refilled with new....after it got started i put the old petrol back
in..it ran OK ish diluted about 50/50 with new.

In general if these things are getting enough fuel, and a spark, they
will at least start.

Check the choke is working, and if possible drain the carb and tank and
clean any jets, and refill with new fuel. Should fire up allright.

Rough running sounds like water or dirt in the fuel. Or a very rich
mixture..when it did start, did it run smoky blue? Or run in bursts, or
just sound like it wanted to tear its guts out it was so irregular?

I forgot which Briggs it was, and whether it had a motor start or pull
start..