Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to Choose Energy Saving Light Bulbs..??

Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the specifications
and/or brands to look out for when choosing energy saving light bulbs?

Or if anyone has any suggestions of low price retailers of energy
saving light bulbs?

Or any other info about them... Thank you!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Morrisons are selling Philips 60W & 100W equivalents for 49p a go IIRC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks - is that for energy saving light bulbs?

I thought they were a lot more expensive than that...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes they are energy saving - from memory the 60W equivalent are around
11W and the 100W equivalent around 16W. In my semi-local store there
are a random mixture of BC & ES on the shelves, just something to be
aware of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

Use a search engine, on this group and more widely, instead of
expecting to be spoon-fed. They were discussed a few days ago.

Sorry dear...PMT...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:

Personally, I quite like the Morrisons 49p philps ones.

I've installed 20 as garage lights, on a wire, along the middle of a
20*4m room.
Works well, and is a hell of a lot brighter and saves energy over the
other choice, which was 2*500W floodlights.

you've got a 20m garage? That would explain a lot, all the things you
get upto

But I still havent figured out why you were running a several foot long
fl tube at 1uA!

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Ian Stirling wrote:
Personally, I quite like the Morrisons 49p philps ones.
I've installed 20 as garage lights, on a wire, along the middle of a
20*4m room.

That is a good sized garage.

Works well, and is a hell of a lot brighter and saves energy over the
other choice, which was 2*500W floodlights.

How do these things cope in the cold?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Personally, I quite like the Morrisons 49p philps ones.
I've installed 20 as garage lights, on a wire, along the middle of a
20*4m room.

That is a good sized garage.

Indeed - I meant 12*4

Works well, and is a hell of a lot brighter and saves energy over the
other choice, which was 2*500W floodlights.

How do these things cope in the cold?

A bit slow to warm up.
But then, because they were so cheap, I've put in about double the
wattage that I really 'need', so to get up to half 'normal' brightness
isn't bad at all.
(based on one test with one inthe fridge)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Personally, I quite like the Morrisons 49p philps ones.
I've installed 20 as garage lights, on a wire, along the middle of a
20*4m room.

That is a good sized garage.

Indeed - I meant 12*4

That's *still* a good-sized garage!

Works well, and is a hell of a lot brighter and saves energy over the
other choice, which was 2*500W floodlights.

How do these things cope in the cold?

A bit slow to warm up.
But then, because they were so cheap, I've put in about double the
wattage that I really 'need', so to get up to half 'normal' brightness
isn't bad at all.

So they will start OK, unlike (seemingly) my 4' or 5' tubes?

(based on one test with one inthe fridge)

That's nice & thorough. What about sub-zero, I wonder?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Personally, I quite like the Morrisons 49p philps ones.
I've installed 20 as garage lights, on a wire, along the middle of a
20*4m room.

snip
That's nice & thorough. What about sub-zero, I wonder?

I've stuck one in the freezer.
Will post in an hour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Personally, I quite like the Morrisons 49p philps ones.
I've installed 20 as garage lights, on a wire, along the middle of a
20*4m room.

snip
That's nice & thorough. What about sub-zero, I wonder?

I've stuck one in the freezer.
Will post in an hour.

First bulb - 1/2 hour in freezer.
Starts instantly, quite dim for first 10 seconds, then it rapidly warms
up towards normal brightness.
I would estimate that a 20W bulb is equivalent to the initial output of
a 11W bulb at room temperature 15 seconds in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Taz

I've got the blighters all over the house. Only ever had to return one
'cos it didn't work at all. Watch out for some of the real cheapies -
they can produce a bluish light that actually induced nausea.

Great for middle of the night swap-outs if someone in the house is
likely to get a hangover...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Ian Stirling wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
What about sub-zero [performance of bulbs], I wonder?

I've stuck one in the freezer.
Will post in an hour.

First bulb - 1/2 hour in freezer.
Starts instantly, quite dim for first 10 seconds, then it rapidly warms
up towards normal brightness.
I would estimate that a 20W bulb is equivalent to the initial output of
a 11W bulb at room temperature 15 seconds in.

That's very useful, thanks for the results!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
What about sub-zero [performance of bulbs], I wonder?
I've stuck one in the freezer.
Will post in an hour.

First bulb - 1/2 hour in freezer.
Starts instantly, quite dim for first 10 seconds, then it rapidly warms
up towards normal brightness.
I would estimate that a 20W bulb is equivalent to the initial output of
a 11W bulb at room temperature 15 seconds in.

That's very useful, thanks for the results!

Overnight, the 2 20W bulbs (the philiips ones from morrisons) in the
freezer behave the same. (when taken out and plugged into a socket 5
seconds later)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Ian Stirling contains these words:

As for nightlights, I have on my todo list (not very high) to add 1
white LED per room, as emergency lighting, triggered when power fails.

I fancy doing that down the stairs, one on each tread.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Ian Stirling contains these words:

As for nightlights, I have on my todo list (not very high) to add 1
white LED per room, as emergency lighting, triggered when power fails.

I fancy doing that down the stairs, one on each tread.

I came up with a neat method of doing that.
Into the diagonal bit of the stairs, route out a 10mm*10mm or so groove.
Drill a hole per tread in this, all the way through, aimed down at the
tread, 10mm dia, painted matt black internally.
Place a 3.5mm mono switched socket in this hole, and wire up all the
sockets in series.
Feed with 20mA current limited supply, and wire up LEDs to 3.5mm plugs.
This gets you replacable colour changable lights.
Alas, I have no stairs

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Owain wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Into the diagonal bit of the stairs, route out a 10mm*10mm or so groove.
Drill a hole per tread in this, all the way through, aimed down at the
tread, 10mm dia, painted matt black internally.
Place a 3.5mm mono switched socket in this hole, and wire up all the
sockets in series.

molex connectors would probably be cheaper and easier than 3.5mm plugs -
see Big Clive's LED charm bracelet.

But really fiddly to put in.
The advantage of 3.5mm plugs is that they are by nature round, and hard
to get the wrong way round down a hole.

Alas, I have no stairs

By design, or did the feck-up fairy get hold of the plans between the
architect and the builder?

One floor level throughout.

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 03:28 AM
GE Energy Saving Light Bulbs JimM UK diy 16 September 9th 03 06:08 PM