Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to Choose Energy Saving Light Bulbs..??

Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the specifications
and/or brands to look out for when choosing energy saving light bulbs?

Or if anyone has any suggestions of low price retailers of energy
saving light bulbs?

Or any other info about them... Thank you!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Morrisons are selling Philips 60W & 100W equivalents for 49p a go IIRC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks - is that for energy saving light bulbs?

I thought they were a lot more expensive than that...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes they are energy saving - from memory the 60W equivalent are around
11W and the 100W equivalent around 16W. In my semi-local store there
are a random mixture of BC & ES on the shelves, just something to be
aware of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

Use a search engine, on this group and more widely, instead of
expecting to be spoon-fed. They were discussed a few days ago.

Sorry dear...PMT...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:

Personally, I quite like the Morrisons 49p philps ones.

I've installed 20 as garage lights, on a wire, along the middle of a
20*4m room.
Works well, and is a hell of a lot brighter and saves energy over the
other choice, which was 2*500W floodlights.

you've got a 20m garage? That would explain a lot, all the things you
get upto

But I still havent figured out why you were running a several foot long
fl tube at 1uA!

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Ian Stirling wrote:
Personally, I quite like the Morrisons 49p philps ones.
I've installed 20 as garage lights, on a wire, along the middle of a
20*4m room.

That is a good sized garage.

Works well, and is a hell of a lot brighter and saves energy over the
other choice, which was 2*500W floodlights.

How do these things cope in the cold?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Personally, I quite like the Morrisons 49p philps ones.
I've installed 20 as garage lights, on a wire, along the middle of a
20*4m room.

That is a good sized garage.

Indeed - I meant 12*4

Works well, and is a hell of a lot brighter and saves energy over the
other choice, which was 2*500W floodlights.

How do these things cope in the cold?

A bit slow to warm up.
But then, because they were so cheap, I've put in about double the
wattage that I really 'need', so to get up to half 'normal' brightness
isn't bad at all.
(based on one test with one inthe fridge)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Ian Stirling wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Personally, I quite like the Morrisons 49p philps ones.
I've installed 20 as garage lights, on a wire, along the middle of a
20*4m room.

That is a good sized garage.

Indeed - I meant 12*4

That's *still* a good-sized garage!

Works well, and is a hell of a lot brighter and saves energy over the
other choice, which was 2*500W floodlights.

How do these things cope in the cold?

A bit slow to warm up.
But then, because they were so cheap, I've put in about double the
wattage that I really 'need', so to get up to half 'normal' brightness
isn't bad at all.

So they will start OK, unlike (seemingly) my 4' or 5' tubes?

(based on one test with one inthe fridge)

That's nice & thorough. What about sub-zero, I wonder?

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 03:28 AM
GE Energy Saving Light Bulbs JimM UK diy 16 September 9th 03 06:08 PM