Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Default How to Choose Energy Saving Light Bulbs..??

wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
wrote:
snip
But I still havent figured out why you were running a several foot long
fl tube at 1uA!

To measure the V/I curve of the discharge.
It was quite pretty in the dark, a moon-like glow.

ah, I guessed wrong. Thought maybe you were looking to make the worlds
highest efficacy nightlighting system.

Nope - the actual efficiency at that current is fairly poor.
It causes fairly rapid electrode damage too, surprisingly.
And if you heat the electrodes, the efficiency drops to zero, as they
use several watts.

As for nightlights, I have on my todo list (not very high) to add 1
white LED per room, as emergency lighting, triggered when power fails.