Posted to uk.d-i-y
ken r

Default Energy Saving Bulbs

"Doki" wrote in message
Why do they all hum?

Because of the small circuit in the base. If you have a knackered one saw
the base up and have a look. The cheap crappy made ones by Philips I have
buzz like mad. It's the small transformer inside at fault. A load of
Philips energy savers sold in Morrisons had to be recalled due to a safety
problem a while back. Most people were sent replacements if they got in
touch and quoted the bar code number etc. The light would flicker slightly
when OFF if the slightest current appeared between neutral and earth. I do
mean really tiny.

Fluorescent is out now - make way for LEDs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
ken r wrote:
Fluorescent is out now - make way for LEDs.

We'll see. I'm not convinced.

--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

Fluorescent is out now - make way for LEDs.

Blimey, a fluorescent bulb is pricey enough. How much is an LED one going to
be?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
Fluorescent is out now - make way for LEDs.

Blimey, a fluorescent bulb is pricey enough. How much is an LED one going
to be?

Fluorescents are 47p.
A LED one should be as cheap in a year or three.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

ken r wrote:
"Doki" wrote in message
Why do they all hum?

Because of the small circuit in the base. If you have a knackered one saw
the base up and have a look. The cheap crappy made ones by Philips I have
buzz like mad.

True. I had a few very old Philips ones that hummed. Now gone, replaced
with cheap chinese made ikea blinders...

It's the small transformer inside at fault. A load of
Philips energy savers sold in Morrisons had to be recalled due to a safety
problem a while back. Most people were sent replacements if they got in
touch and quoted the bar code number etc. The light would flicker slightly
when OFF if the slightest current appeared between neutral and earth. I do
mean really tiny.

Never a safety problem. That is a myth.

Fluorescent is out now - make way for LEDs.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

ken r wrote :
Fluorescent is out now - make way for LEDs.

Though not for perhaps a good while yet.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ken r wrote:

Fluorescent is out now - make way for LEDs.

Thats a victory of marketing over fact if ever I saw one. LEDs have
never come anywhere near fluorescents in performance for the entirety
of their existence. While we dont know which will win out in the long
term, all the evidence points to it being fluorescent.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

True. I had a few very old Philips ones that hummed. Now gone, replaced
with cheap chinese made ikea blinders...

That's funny, my experience is the exact opposite.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

RedOnRed wrote:
True. I had a few very old Philips ones that hummed. Now gone, replaced
with cheap chinese made ikea blinders...

That's funny, my experience is the exact opposite.

The philips ones were *very* old, and humming with a rasp was noted
towards the end of almost an 7 year life. My cheapie Ikea's 11W take an
age to warm up but when they do, staring at the bulbs is painful. I've
got two of those in a three bulb fitting - I daren't add the third :-(

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Tue, 02 May 2006 10:31:05 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

RedOnRed wrote:
True. I had a few very old Philips ones that hummed. Now gone, replaced
with cheap chinese made ikea blinders...

That's funny, my experience is the exact opposite.

The philips ones were *very* old, and humming with a rasp was noted
towards the end of almost an 7 year life. My cheapie Ikea's 11W take an
age to warm up but when they do, staring at the bulbs is painful. I've
got two of those in a three bulb fitting - I daren't add the third :-(

Hi,

Why not get more Philips? The 'softone' ones are pretty good IMO.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Adrian C wrote:
RedOnRed wrote:
True. I had a few very old Philips ones that hummed. Now gone, replaced
with cheap chinese made ikea blinders...

That's funny, my experience is the exact opposite.

The philips ones were *very* old, and humming with a rasp was noted
towards the end of almost an 7 year life. My cheapie Ikea's 11W take an
age to warm up but when they do, staring at the bulbs is painful. I've
got two of those in a three bulb fitting - I daren't add the third :-(

There are/were philips ones that are basically conventional ballasts,
with the tube wrapped round the inductor, and a little starter, all
inside a glass enclosure.

Not 'electronic' ballasts in the conventional sense.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Pete C wrote:
The philips ones were *very* old, and humming with a rasp was noted
towards the end of almost an 7 year life. My cheapie Ikea's 11W take an
age to warm up but when they do, staring at the bulbs is painful. I've
got two of those in a three bulb fitting - I daren't add the third :-(

Hi,

Why not get more Philips? The 'softone' ones are pretty good IMO.

Will probably do when/if this room gets redecorated, got more recent
Philips bulbs elsewhere in more critical areas and they are fine. But at
the moment one bulb missing out the fitting is a minor blot on the
general mess of everything else, and I'm curious to see what the IKEA
CFL bulbs do at near the end of their lives. (shhhh... don't tell me!)

--
Adrian C

Energy Saving Bulbs Guy King UK diy 0 May 1st 06 12:27 AM
Energy Saving Bulbs MoxieMouse Home Repair 4 January 9th 06 05:49 PM
Energy Saving flourecent in Bathroom Vince Home Repair 20 October 29th 05 12:42 AM
GE Energy Saving Light Bulbs JimM UK diy 16 September 9th 03 06:08 PM