Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Default Energy Saving Bulbs

Adrian C wrote:
RedOnRed wrote:
True. I had a few very old Philips ones that hummed. Now gone, replaced
with cheap chinese made ikea blinders...

That's funny, my experience is the exact opposite.

The philips ones were *very* old, and humming with a rasp was noted
towards the end of almost an 7 year life. My cheapie Ikea's 11W take an
age to warm up but when they do, staring at the bulbs is painful. I've
got two of those in a three bulb fitting - I daren't add the third :-(

There are/were philips ones that are basically conventional ballasts,
with the tube wrapped round the inductor, and a little starter, all
inside a glass enclosure.

Not 'electronic' ballasts in the conventional sense.