Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Default Energy Saving Bulbs

ken r wrote:
"Doki" wrote in message
Why do they all hum?

Because of the small circuit in the base. If you have a knackered one saw
the base up and have a look. The cheap crappy made ones by Philips I have
buzz like mad.

True. I had a few very old Philips ones that hummed. Now gone, replaced
with cheap chinese made ikea blinders...

It's the small transformer inside at fault. A load of
Philips energy savers sold in Morrisons had to be recalled due to a safety
problem a while back. Most people were sent replacements if they got in
touch and quoted the bar code number etc. The light would flicker slightly
when OFF if the slightest current appeared between neutral and earth. I do
mean really tiny.

Never a safety problem. That is a myth.

Fluorescent is out now - make way for LEDs.

--
Adrian C