Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

Default Surveyors - don't you love them !

Got sight today of the full structural survey commissioned by my
buyers on my house. Cost them just over £1000 plus VAT and he was on
site for 5.5 Hrs.

Apparently our genuine Edwardian fire place surrounds are cast
aluminium
Apparently our 9" x 6" galvanised iron airbricks are also cast
aluminium
It seems our two fir trees planted in the 1950's are leylandii (they'd
be twice as tall if they were !)
Apparently the baltic pine spindles on the first stair run are non
original and are a different pattern from the higher stair runs which
I never got round to having dipped and stripped unlike the other
(identical!) ones.
Sadly it seems that the emulsion painted plywood plumbing inspection
panel that has its grain showing is infact likely to be asbestos.
However it is good to hear that the boiler flue is in excellent
condition despite the fact that the top section joint has swiveled
over at 45 degrees (trivial problem easily fixed but not seen by the
blind surveyor)

Oh and the boiler that was installed in 1986 is apparently quite new !

OK it's not my money, and he has (correctly as there isn't anything
particularly to worry about) given the house a clean bill of health,
but where do they get these people from !!!!!

It really annoys me that the buyers have paid very significant money
for a document full of factual errors and yet covered in the usual
escape clauses regarding what he cannot see to the extent that it is a
worthless piece of paper.

AWEM