Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tavertine tiles Bathroom installation question

I need to some advise please.

I about tile my bathroom floor and walls (about 20 sqm all in all) with
honed & filled travertine tiles. I have two of my walls that are
plasterboard internal stud partitions. The flooring will be 18mm WBP
ply as I'm replacing the current uneven 18 mm chipwood T&G floor.

One of my main concerns is to do with the palsterboard walls, will
these walls be able to take on the weight of the travertine tiles, each
tile is 12mm thick and 40cm by 40cm.?
Also, I have stripped all the walls from paint so they are back to
plaster and I will use pva bond to seal them. Also, I will be using a
good quality tile adhesive (Bal).

I am grateful for any advise.

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

One of my main concerns is to do with the palsterboard walls, will
these walls be able to take on the weight of the travertine tiles, each
tile is 12mm thick and 40cm by 40cm.?

No problem if the plasterboard is in good condition.

Also, I have stripped all the walls from paint so they are back to
plaster and I will use pva bond to seal them. Also, I will be using a
good quality tile adhesive (Bal).

If using BAL, use White Star.

You will need to seal the tiles. I would use Lithofin MN StainStop, possibly
with one layer of Lithofin MN Colour Enhancer.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi 'The Natural Philosopher' I was planning to start tiling (using a
fixed batton/s) from one row up from the bottom and all the way to the
top and then I would do the bottom row last, would you think that this
approach is still okay?

Thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Stuart contains these words:

The other day we had "batons" and now it is "battons" ...lol...it is
battens.

Unless you're marching with 'em, in which case it's back to batons again.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks for all your advice, it really has been very helpful

By the way, I really am a verry gud spellar!

Many thanks

Ali