DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tavertine tiles Bathroom installation question (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/154091-tavertine-tiles-bathroom-installation-question.html)

[email protected] April 19th 06 10:28 PM

Tavertine tiles Bathroom installation question

I need to some advise please.

I about tile my bathroom floor and walls (about 20 sqm all in all) with
honed & filled travertine tiles. I have two of my walls that are
plasterboard internal stud partitions. The flooring will be 18mm WBP
ply as I'm replacing the current uneven 18 mm chipwood T&G floor.

One of my main concerns is to do with the palsterboard walls, will
these walls be able to take on the weight of the travertine tiles, each
tile is 12mm thick and 40cm by 40cm.?
Also, I have stripped all the walls from paint so they are back to
plaster and I will use pva bond to seal them. Also, I will be using a
good quality tile adhesive (Bal).

I am grateful for any advise.

Regards

The Natural Philosopher April 20th 06 01:56 AM

wrote:
I need to some advise please.

I about tile my bathroom floor and walls (about 20 sqm all in all) with
honed & filled travertine tiles. I have two of my walls that are
plasterboard internal stud partitions. The flooring will be 18mm WBP
ply as I'm replacing the current uneven 18 mm chipwood T&G floor.

One of my main concerns is to do with the palsterboard walls, will
these walls be able to take on the weight of the travertine tiles, each
tile is 12mm thick and 40cm by 40cm.?
Also, I have stripped all the walls from paint so they are back to
plaster and I will use pva bond to seal them. Also, I will be using a
good quality tile adhesive (Bal).

I am grateful for any advise.

Regards

Provided you tile up from the bottom, and use spacers, the weight is all
compression loads anyway, so tile away and don't worry.

Christian McArdle April 20th 06 09:38 AM

Tavertine tiles Bathroom installation question

One of my main concerns is to do with the palsterboard walls, will
these walls be able to take on the weight of the travertine tiles, each
tile is 12mm thick and 40cm by 40cm.?

No problem if the plasterboard is in good condition.

Also, I have stripped all the walls from paint so they are back to
plaster and I will use pva bond to seal them. Also, I will be using a
good quality tile adhesive (Bal).

If using BAL, use White Star.

You will need to seal the tiles. I would use Lithofin MN StainStop, possibly
with one layer of Lithofin MN Colour Enhancer.

Christian.

Steve Firth April 20th 06 03:24 PM

wrote:
I need to some advise please.

I about tile my bathroom floor and walls (about 20 sqm all in all) with
honed & filled travertine tiles. I have two of my walls that are
plasterboard internal stud partitions. The flooring will be 18mm WBP
ply as I'm replacing the current uneven 18 mm chipwood T&G floor.

One of my main concerns is to do with the palsterboard walls, will
these walls be able to take on the weight of the travertine tiles, each
tile is 12mm thick and 40cm by 40cm.?
Also, I have stripped all the walls from paint so they are back to
plaster and I will use pva bond to seal them. Also, I will be using a
good quality tile adhesive (Bal).

I am grateful for any advise.

FWIW, I did something similar several years ago. I was told by the local
"expert" that it was impossible to put these tiles on a wall and they
were designed for floors only.

I don't like plasterboard as a backing for tiles, so I used 18mm WBP for
the walls, and sealed the surface with an epoxy coating. The tiles were
applied using a swimming pool tile adhesive, but I can't recall the name
of the manufacturer. The tiles were also fitted very close together,
because a large line of grout looks bloody awful with marble.

[email protected] April 20th 06 09:38 PM

Tavertine tiles Bathroom installation question

Hi 'The Natural Philosopher' I was planning to start tiling (using a
fixed batton/s) from one row up from the bottom and all the way to the
top and then I would do the bottom row last, would you think that this
approach is still okay?

Thanks again.

Steve Firth April 20th 06 10:32 PM

Tavertine tiles Bathroom installation question

wrote:
Thanks Steve,

For the walls, if I go for your approach, what would be the minimum
thickness of the WBP I can get away with as 18mm seems a bit too much.
How would I fix the WBP on the plasterboard? I would prefer not to fix
any battons to the wall in order to fix the WBP as the bathroom is
very small.

Ah sorry, I'm not advocating you do what I did. I was working on a
studwork wall and building a shower enclosure. So I removed plasterboard
completely and made good afterwards.

The Natural Philosopher April 21st 06 12:36 AM

wrote:
Hi 'The Natural Philosopher' I was planning to start tiling (using a
fixed batton/s) from one row up from the bottom and all the way to the
top and then I would do the bottom row last, would you think that this
approach is still okay?

Thanks again.

Purrfect.

Unless I have a straight level line to star from, thats how I always do
it anyway.

Stuart April 21st 06 02:36 PM

On 20 Apr 2006 13:53:17 -0700, wrote:

Thanks Steve,

For the walls, if I go for your approach, what would be the minimum
thickness of the WBP I can get away with as 18mm seems a bit too much.
How would I fix the WBP on the plasterboard? I would prefer not to fix
any battons to the wall in order to fix the WBP as the bathroom is
very small.

Regards

The other day we had "batons" and now it is "battons" ...lol...it is battens.

Stuart

Guy King April 21st 06 03:14 PM

Tavertine tiles Bathroom installation question

The message
from Stuart contains these words:

The other day we had "batons" and now it is "battons" ...lol...it is
battens.

Unless you're marching with 'em, in which case it's back to batons again.

--
Skipweasel

[email protected] April 29th 06 12:08 AM

Tavertine tiles Bathroom installation question

Many thanks for all your advice, it really has been very helpful

By the way, I really am a verry gud spellar!

Many thanks

Ali