Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

Default Does amonia deter cats...

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:44:07 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

I wanted a particular air gun, common a few years ago and was amazed
to find it now a "prohibited weapon", along with machine guns etc.

I wonder what that was... a "B-k", perhaps? One of the air-
guns with a pumped up cartridge?

Yep. You can stick sparklets bulbs in, carry around huge air cylinders
on an air line, but not a self contained in the thing. Can't quite
work out why!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:17:46 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Clint Sharp wrote:
[snip caticide]
What could the law do?

It is an offence under the Protection of Animals Acts 1911-1988 and
carries a fine of up to £5000 or six months imprisonment.

That's for cruelty to animals. If the animal is killed instantly,
iy's not cruelty, apparently, so the above does not apply.

A hypothetical question since most people do not have legal access to
weapons able to guarantee instant killing of an animal the size of a
cat.

It's not a question, it's a statement, and has been tested
in court (not by me, I hasten to add). If an animal is
killed instantly, by a blow from a stick, or a shot, or
whatever, it isn't cruelty.

Possibly or possibly not. The perpetrator may, however, be prosecuted
under the Criminal Damage Act.

Note also that if a cat is somebody's domestic pet, it is their
property and is not feral.

Which is why I said in another post that the owner might take
action against the cat-slayer, since his property has been
destroyed.

I suspect that an insurer would take a dim view as well....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 21 Apr 2006 09:17:38 -0700, "Aidan" wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Does amonia deter cats...

Yes, fill a supersoaker with it and aim carefully.

Under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 any person who deliberately
and intentionally administers any poison to an animal is guilty of an
offence. Equally, a person commits an offence if he (or she)
knowingly puts poison down in any building or place without taking
reasonable precautions to avoid harming cats and kittens in the area.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Andy Hall wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
It is an offence under the Protection of Animals Acts 1911-1988 and
carries a fine of up to £5000 or six months imprisonment.

That's for cruelty to animals. If the animal is killed instantly,
iy's not cruelty, apparently, so the above does not apply.

A hypothetical question since most people do not have legal access to
weapons able to guarantee instant killing of an animal the size of a
cat.

It's not a question, it's a statement, and has been tested
in court (not by me, I hasten to add). If an animal is
killed instantly, by a blow from a stick, or a shot, or
whatever, it isn't cruelty.

Possibly or possibly not.

There is no "possibly or possibly not" about it. It's a fact.

The perpetrator may, however, be prosecuted under the Criminal Damage Act.

I have no idea about that. I suspect it is not the case, although
if you can come up with a case that supports this, I should be
interested. Action can certainly be taken by the ex-owner, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

EricP wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
I wanted a particular air gun, common a few years ago and was amazed
to find it now a "prohibited weapon", along with machine guns etc.

One of the air-guns with a pumped up cartridge?

Yep. You can stick sparklets bulbs in, carry around huge air cylinders
on an air line, but not a self contained in the thing. Can't quite
work out why!

It's because they could be converted to fire .22 (or sometimes
larger, e.g. .38) cartridges. Some were, and have been used
by criminals.

BTW, the "sparklet" ones make a nice bang, if you fired one
when being burgled, I bet the burglar would sht a brick.
However, it must be said that this would under most
circumstances be considered a naughty thing to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:35:11 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Does amonia deter cats...

Yes, fill a supersoaker with it and aim carefully.

Under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 any person who deliberately
and intentionally administers any poison to an animal is guilty of an
offence. Equally, a person commits an offence if he (or she)
knowingly puts poison down in any building or place without taking
reasonable precautions to avoid harming cats and kittens in the area.

Heaving this back to practicalities, I see three easy and legal methods:

a) Get a large cat. Ours had the bonus of chasing foxes off its turf.
b) Use orange juice. Generally quite good as an applied deterrent.
c) Use a supersoaker or similar filled with water. Once you've
established territorial rights, the cat is unlikely to return.

(side note: we kept half an eggcup full of water by the kitchen door.
The cat had this dumped on his head every time he tried to enter; he
soon stopped and kept out of the kitchen for the next four years, until
we moved)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

It's because they could be converted to fire .22 (or sometimes
larger, e.g. .38) cartridges. Some were, and have been used
by criminals.

I did that to an ordinary .22 air rifle as a kid. Smuggled home a sock
full of short .22 rounds as a kids - perhaps 500 of 'em, then carefully
filed the breech to allow the casing to enter. A nail, cut down so it
just reached the piston was slipped into the air-hole (bloody thing kept
falling out if you weren't careful) and away you went.

The difference in power over the air rifle was most entertaining for the
few days the rounds lasted.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:44:56 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
It is an offence under the Protection of Animals Acts 1911-1988 and
carries a fine of up to £5000 or six months imprisonment.

That's for cruelty to animals. If the animal is killed instantly,
iy's not cruelty, apparently, so the above does not apply.

A hypothetical question since most people do not have legal access to
weapons able to guarantee instant killing of an animal the size of a
cat.

It's not a question, it's a statement, and has been tested
in court (not by me, I hasten to add). If an animal is
killed instantly, by a blow from a stick, or a shot, or
whatever, it isn't cruelty.

Possibly or possibly not.

There is no "possibly or possibly not" about it. It's a fact.

Case reference?

The perpetrator may, however, be prosecuted under the Criminal Damage Act.

I have no idea about that. I suspect it is not the case, although
if you can come up with a case that supports this, I should be
interested. Action can certainly be taken by the ex-owner, though.

I said " may be prosecuted"

The CPS takes this view:

"An animal may also be classed as property capable of being "damaged
or destroyed" under the terms of the Criminal Damage Act 1971. A
charge of criminal damage may be appropriate in the event of the death
or injury of an animal owned by someone other than the defendant."

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
from visiting your yard if sprayed on the top of walls?

It deters them if you squirt it in their eyes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Does amonia deter cats...

Yes, fill a supersoaker with it and aim carefully.

Under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 any person who deliberately
and intentionally administers any poison to an animal is guilty of an
offence. Equally, a person commits an offence if he (or she)
knowingly puts poison down in any building or place without taking
reasonable precautions to avoid harming cats and kittens in the area.

Ah well, back to flaying them alive then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Does amonia deter cats...
Yes, fill a supersoaker with it and aim carefully.

Under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 any person who deliberately
and intentionally administers any poison to an animal is guilty of an
offence. Equally, a person commits an offence if he (or she)
knowingly puts poison down in any building or place without taking
reasonable precautions to avoid harming cats and kittens in the area.

Ah well, back to flaying them alive then.

Did you ever get the patent on that mechanical flayer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Does amonia deter cats...

Yes, fill a supersoaker with it and aim carefully.

Under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 any person who deliberately
and intentionally administers any poison to an animal is guilty of an
offence. Equally, a person commits an offence if he (or she)
knowingly puts poison down in any building or place without taking
reasonable precautions to avoid harming cats and kittens in the area.

Heaving this back to practicalities, I see three easy and legal methods:

a) Get a large cat. Ours had the bonus of chasing foxes off its turf.

Well... you might think so. Our Maine Coon is enormous and
approaching 8kg at less than a year (and isn't over-weight), but is as
soft as ....

b) Use orange juice. Generally quite good as an applied deterrent.

Yes that does work, as do pieces of orange peel.

c) Use a supersoaker or similar filled with water. Once you've
established territorial rights, the cat is unlikely to return.

Some cats enjoy water... (yes same cat - enjoys pond and comes in
filthy.)

In general though, they do dislike water.

THe ultrasonic devices are mildly effective but won't deter a
determined cat.

(side note: we kept half an eggcup full of water by the kitchen door.
The cat had this dumped on his head every time he tried to enter; he
soon stopped and kept out of the kitchen for the next four years, until
we moved)

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 20:49:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

a) Get a large cat. Ours had the bonus of chasing foxes off its turf.

Well... you might think so. Our Maine Coon is enormous and
approaching 8kg at less than a year (and isn't over-weight), but is as
soft as ....

Ours was a Maine Coon too. Yes, it was soft...but not when it came to
foxes (and Dobermans).

c) Use a supersoaker or similar filled with water. Once you've
established territorial rights, the cat is unlikely to return.

Some cats enjoy water... (yes same cat - enjoys pond and comes in
filthy.)

Worked on him!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Clint Sharp
wrote:

Barbaric? So, you never kill vermin then?

No, sadly killing animal abusers is called murder. Apart from that, I would
never cause or wish harm on ANY living creature. And no, I don't eat them
either.

A sadist enjoys inflicting pain, I don't

Well it's either sadism or mental instability.

but I wonder if you've ever
seen a cat tormenting a captured creature,

I agree it's not pleasant, however in many cases a well fed domestic cat
can't generally be bothered to catch wildlife after a short kittenhood. Any
cat I see with a captured creature, would have it taken away.

Bear in mind of course that Man claims he is the most intelligent creature
on the planet and therefore should be able to rise above such pre-historic
behaviour. The cat knows no different, we do.

--
AJL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..

And no, I don't eat them
either.

Yes you do.
Millions every day just like every other person on the planet.