Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Who said the Aldi hand trolly was naff?

Well its good construction the wheels are solid rubber,the axle is a steel
bar right through..I think it'll stand up to shift heavy loads. ;-)

Well worth 13GBP.

Did anyone buy one of those nail/stapler guns in Aldi last week,if so how
much where they? they have three still left and was pondering on buying one
but couldn't see the price anywhere?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Whilst in Aldi this morning I was a bit set back at what I saw...
I thought pensioners in this country where on a pittence of a pension,now
I'm not sure.
Seen two pensioners humping the flat screen TV's on their trollys at
699.99GBP a go?

I've always said no one is poor in this country.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Seen two pensioners humping the flat screen TV's on their trollys#
at 699.99GBP a go?

Simply frightful. I'd expect this sort of behaviour of ****ed-up
teenagers out of control on Saturday night.

These LCD & plasma sets are rubbish, anyway.

FU set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Seen two pensioners humping the flat screen TV's on their trollys at
699.99GBP a go?

I've always said no one is poor in this country.

The Queen & the DoE are pensioners. They can probably afford a 700 GBP TV -
but that doesn't prove that all pensioners are rich - and certainly doesn't
prove that no-one is poor.

Of course a far greater concern is the number of people who don't understand
simple logic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:27:14 GMT The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote :
Whilst in Aldi this morning I was a bit set back at what I saw...
I thought pensioners in this country where on a pittence of a
pension,now I'm not sure.

There's no doubt some are but ...

"The average UK pensioner is nearly twice as well-off financially now as
they were back in 1979, a report from insurer Clerical Medical has said.

Average weekly pensioner income rose from £47 in 1979 to more than £300 by
2004, the study found.

However, after stripping out the impact of inflation, the average pensioner
is now 97% better off than in 1979.

... Average pensioner incomes rose 3.5% a year in the five years up to
2004. This compares to average annual rises of 2.5% in the 1980s and 2.7%
in the 1990s."

Probably not to be found on the Daily Mail website g. Usual caveat about
averages applies.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:05:02 +0100, John Cartmell
had this to say:

In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Seen two pensioners humping the flat screen TV's on their trollys at
699.99GBP a go?

I've always said no one is poor in this country.

The Queen & the DoE are pensioners.

Are they? Do they actually receive a pension?

Just because they are of pensionable age doesn't mean that they get a
pension!

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Tony Bryer wrote:
"The average UK pensioner is nearly twice as well-off financially now as
they were back in 1979, a report from insurer Clerical Medical has said.

Probably without bothering to define their use of the word 'average'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John Cartmell wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Seen two pensioners humping the flat screen TV's on their trollys
at 699.99GBP a go?

I've always said no one is poor in this country.

The Queen & the DoE are pensioners.

Are they? Do they actually receive a pension?

Just because they are of pensionable age doesn't mean that they get a
pension!

I must admit to not having seen them in any Post Office queue...

You won't, most pensioners have changed the way they withdraw their money
nowadays through the the gov iniative of the bank withdrawl...damn big que
at the bank on a thursday now. :-(

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Seen two pensioners humping the flat screen TV's on their trollys at
699.99GBP a go?

I've always said no one is poor in this country.

The Queen & the DoE are pensioners. They can probably afford a 700 GBP
TV -
but that doesn't prove that all pensioners are rich - and certainly
doesn't
prove that no-one is poor.

In order to obtain a 'Pension' ; off the state, one is required to have made
the appropriate number of _contributions_ - they used to be called 'stamps'
but are now a percentage of salary. [One can, of course, pay for the
contributions oneself].
I doubt that either the Queen or DoE (Dept of Enviroment?} have made the
contributions. They have attained 'old age' but (presumably) are not
pensioners

Of course a far greater concern is the number of people who don't
understand
simple logic.

Ooh! Fancy! A do-it-yerself petard hoist! [the only relevance to d-i-y in
the post]

..... advert deleted .....

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nobody

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 06:29:12 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

I doubt that either the Queen or DoE (Dept of Enviroment?}

Duke of Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

wrote:

I doubt that either the Queen or DoE (Dept of Enviroment?}

Duke of Edinburgh

However DoE is/was an official abbreviation ... Department of Environment
(UK), Department of Energy (US) ... as an abbreviation for HRH Prince Philip
KG KT etc. etc. what can I say? "Nobody" use that !

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

wrote:

I doubt that either the Queen or DoE (Dept of Enviroment?}

Duke of Edinburgh

However DoE is/was an official abbreviation ... Department of Environment
(UK), Department of Energy (US) ... as an abbreviation for HRH Prince Philip
KG KT etc. etc. what can I say? "Nobody" use that !

I did think the phrase "Queen or DoE" in relation to being pensioners might
*just* give sufficient clue! ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:35:29 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

wrote:

I doubt that either the Queen or DoE (Dept of Enviroment?}

Duke of Edinburgh

However DoE is/was an official abbreviation ... Department of Environment
(UK), Department of Energy (US) ... as an abbreviation for HRH Prince Philip
KG KT etc. etc. what can I say? "Nobody" use that !

I did think the phrase "Queen or DoE" in relation to being pensioners might
*just* give sufficient clue! ;-)

He just didn't realise that you were on acronym terms with the
Royals.:-)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Did anyone buy one of those nail/stapler guns in Aldi last week,if so how
much where they? they have three still left and was pondering on buying one
but couldn't see the price anywhere?

£17.99 today in the Blackwater Aldi.

I already have a cheap pneumatic nailer (cosmo) I picked up off ebay.
I'm not overly impressed as it won't shoot the longest nails it carries
into anything like decent wood.

Shorter ones are ok.

Don't think i'll try another cheap nailer on this basis ..

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
zymurgy wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Did anyone buy one of those nail/stapler guns in Aldi last week,if
so how much where they? they have three still left and was pondering
on buying one but couldn't see the price anywhere?

£17.99 today in the Blackwater Aldi.

7.99GBP in Aldi,I bought one. :-)

I must have only glanced at the price

How is it ? Think i'll need you to test drive it before I take a chance
..

P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...

Works fine on the nails/staples it came with,lots of punch to it.
I basically only got it for stapling, I'm recovering a 3 piece suite and
it
was either an hand stapler of this ilk...
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/P...roductID=20799

But the Aldi won. :-)

Just as well really as that T59 stapler isn't much good for fabrics (unless
you want them insulating). 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
zymurgy wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Did anyone buy one of those nail/stapler guns in Aldi last week,if
so how much where they? they have three still left and was pondering
on buying one but couldn't see the price anywhere?

£17.99 today in the Blackwater Aldi.

7.99GBP in Aldi,I bought one. :-)

Still up for 17.99 there. Weird

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Cartmell wrote:
The Queen & the DoE are pensioners.

Are they? Do they actually receive a pension?

Just because they are of pensionable age doesn't mean that they get a
pension!

I must admit to not having seen them in any Post Office queue...

Only the poor pensioners queue up. Most would have it paid direct into
their bank account.

--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
tonytrans wrote:
Whether people queue up for their pension or have it paid into their
bank account is not related to how well off they are.

Perhaps not - they may like to get out and queue up. I just assumed the
majority of those who do don't have a suitable bank account.

--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Junior Member

Wink

Just one or two comments on the wealth of pensioners.
Firstly, increases in the state pension may have been greater than the declared (frigged) inflation during the period. Since when did the declared inflation rate reflect the rise in the cost of living in any way?
Pensioners have contributed to their pension and have the right to spend their cash on anything they like without comment from anyone else.
Whether people queue up for their pension or have it paid into their bank account is not related to how well off they are.
There is no reason why pensioners should not be well off, particularly if they have saved for their retirement.
Kind Regards, Tony.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember tonytrans
saying something like:

Since when did the
declared inflation rate reflect the rise in the cost of living in any
way?

Exactly; which makes looking over declared historical rates of inflation
suspect at best and downright wrong most of the time.
--

Dave

Aldi tools (Redux) [email protected] UK diy 4 March 16th 06 02:09 PM
My ALDI router does not fit the table ! ARGHH help [email protected] UK diy 11 February 11th 06 01:25 PM
Glue pot - Aldi ? Rick UK diy 10 December 17th 05 01:36 AM
Aldi Power Craft tools, eg: Circular Saw Jonathan UK diy 20 September 23rd 05 06:54 PM
major lottery win from Aldi !! Rusty UK diy 1 August 26th 05 11:09 AM