Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

Default Who said the Aldi hand trolly was naff?

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:27:14 GMT The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote :
Whilst in Aldi this morning I was a bit set back at what I saw...
I thought pensioners in this country where on a pittence of a
pension,now I'm not sure.

There's no doubt some are but ...

"The average UK pensioner is nearly twice as well-off financially now as
they were back in 1979, a report from insurer Clerical Medical has said.

Average weekly pensioner income rose from £47 in 1979 to more than £300 by
2004, the study found.

However, after stripping out the impact of inflation, the average pensioner
is now 97% better off than in 1979.

... Average pensioner incomes rose 3.5% a year in the five years up to
2004. This compares to average annual rises of 2.5% in the 1980s and 2.7%
in the 1990s."

Probably not to be found on the Daily Mail website g. Usual caveat about
averages applies.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]