Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

Default Mirror Speculation - Somewhat OT Not Serious

Hi all

For a little light relief, I wondered if someone might provide a reasoned
reponse to the following:

2 nights ago I sat on the settee nursing a backstrain, when a loud crash was
heard from the hallway.
It transpired that a mirror had dropped from a picture hook on the wall, hit
a radiator on the descent with the glass section finishing trapped behind
the radiator.
With the exception of chipping to the edges and a small flake from the
edge/surface, the mirror, frame and backing had all survived.
The glass took some retrieving, but survived a DIY hoist operation (to avoid
draining rad and removing).
It is all now re-assembled and returned to its rightful place.

So my thoughts a

As the mirror fell, but only chipped and didn't technically "break", is
anyone actually afflicted with 7 years of bad luck?
If the answer is yes, is the bad luck imposed on the house owner, or the
person nearest to the incident (on the basis that they caused the final
vibration/air movement to cause the fixing failure)? - no-one actually
touched or knocked the mirror to result in the final fall.
I believe that the lack of security of the mirror fixing may be attibutable
to SWMBO removing the mirror whilst builders were in and not looping the
string properly over the hook on replacement - only an assumption, but does
this make her culpable?
Does the repairer (yours truly) benefit from 7 years good luck?
How is the amount of bad luck determined in the event of minor damage? Is
it calculable based on the severity of damage sustained compared to complete
breakage?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

TheScullster wrote:
As the mirror fell, but only chipped and didn't technically "break", is
anyone actually afflicted with 7 years of bad luck?

Try one of the "religious nutter" threads.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"TheScullster" wrote in message

As the mirror fell, but only chipped and didn't technically "break", is
anyone actually afflicted with 7 years of bad luck?
If the answer is yes, is the bad luck imposed on the house owner, or the
person nearest to the incident (on the basis that they caused the final
vibration/air movement to cause the fixing failure)? - no-one actually
touched or knocked the mirror to result in the final fall.

It will be the unlucky person that actually believes in luck.
No sane person will be unlucky as a result.

After all there is only one thing that is bad luck.. being superstitious!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

[...]

Yes.

But don't suggest that to her or you'll have more than 7 years bad luck.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

Both Dennis@home and Chris Bacon seem to assume that the OP is sane!
Is this a pre-requisit of this group?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David W.E. Roberts

"TheScullster" wrote in message
snip
As the mirror fell, but only chipped and didn't technically "break", is
anyone actually afflicted with 7 years of bad luck?
If the answer is yes, is the bad luck imposed on the house owner, or the
person nearest to the incident (on the basis that they caused the final
vibration/air movement to cause the fixing failure)? - no-one actually
touched or knocked the mirror to result in the final fall.
I believe that the lack of security of the mirror fixing may be

attibutable
to SWMBO removing the mirror whilst builders were in and not looping the
string properly over the hook on replacement - only an assumption, but

does
this make her culpable?

snip

I predict 7 years of indifferent luck for SWMBO.

Only you will know (as the potential main contributor to and sharer in her
ongoing luck) if this will:

(a) Be noticeable.
(b) Be an improvement.

The kindest thing is not to tell her.

HTH
Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike

"TheScullster" wrote in
:

Both Dennis@home and Chris Bacon seem to assume that the OP is sane!
Is this a pre-requisit of this group?

Gordon Bennett!! You'd think your subject line would give them a clue!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

[...]

Certain death for a family member who lives in your house according to my
Grandma.You are now not lucky enough for 7 years bad luck even if you bury
the mirror in the moonlight as she did. Mad old women are full of great
stuff (until they fill their nappys)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

But don't suggest that to her or you'll have more than 7 years bad luck.

He did not say how long he has been married, but chances are he already
has ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Adam's Grandma was right, of course. There is certain death for everyone
who lives in or even enters this house! Thinks, does that not apply to
everyone in the whole wide world?

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

For a little light relief, I wondered if someone might provide a reasoned
reponse to the following:

2 nights ago I sat on the settee nursing a backstrain, when a loud crash was
heard from the hallway.
It transpired that a mirror had dropped from a picture hook on the wall,

snip

This is the ideal time to share my related story with the group as
everyone else I know has already heard it... several times over.

A friend (honest guv!) once hung a new mirror in the hallway - all
hunky dory and he was well chuffed with the result. Given that this was
about the limit of his DIY skills he shortly after had someone round to
do some work for him (pumbing something-or-other in).

Later that day he noticed that his mirror had been nicked - that
thieving b'stard plumber must've had it as - so he promptly gave the
guy a ring and started throwing the accusations around. The plumber
pleaded his innocence however this was not good enough so he then
phoned the police who called round later in the evening to take a
statement.

The copper arrived and started to take the details whilst idly peering
behind the radiator beneath where the mirror once hung...

Yep, the bloody thing had only gone and fallen down and wedged itself
behind there!

Mathew