Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

Default Mirror Speculation - Somewhat OT Not Serious

Hi all

For a little light relief, I wondered if someone might provide a reasoned
reponse to the following:

2 nights ago I sat on the settee nursing a backstrain, when a loud crash was
heard from the hallway.
It transpired that a mirror had dropped from a picture hook on the wall, hit
a radiator on the descent with the glass section finishing trapped behind
the radiator.
With the exception of chipping to the edges and a small flake from the
edge/surface, the mirror, frame and backing had all survived.
The glass took some retrieving, but survived a DIY hoist operation (to avoid
draining rad and removing).
It is all now re-assembled and returned to its rightful place.

So my thoughts a

As the mirror fell, but only chipped and didn't technically "break", is
anyone actually afflicted with 7 years of bad luck?
If the answer is yes, is the bad luck imposed on the house owner, or the
person nearest to the incident (on the basis that they caused the final
vibration/air movement to cause the fixing failure)? - no-one actually
touched or knocked the mirror to result in the final fall.
I believe that the lack of security of the mirror fixing may be attibutable
to SWMBO removing the mirror whilst builders were in and not looping the
string properly over the hook on replacement - only an assumption, but does
this make her culpable?
Does the repairer (yours truly) benefit from 7 years good luck?
How is the amount of bad luck determined in the event of minor damage? Is
it calculable based on the severity of damage sustained compared to complete
breakage?

Phil