Junior Member

Location: Scotland
Smile Paint a Design on wall!

Hi all...

Wonder if anyone can help....

In the middle of decorating my bedroom and would like to do the below design on my back wall as a focal point but in different colours.

However, anyone have any ideas how to measure it out on the wall before painting so as to make it look even?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint a Design on wall!-paint_pic_01-jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Paint a Design on wall!

Nico_2t wrote:
Hi all...

Wonder if anyone can help....

In the middle of decorating my bedroom and would like to do the below
design on my back wall as a focal point but in different colours.

However, anyone have any ideas how to measure it out on the wall
before painting so as to make it look even?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Filename: paint_pic_01.jpg |
Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment....tachmentid=178 |

Nico_2t

Drawing pins and String, pin each length of string at both ends of the wall
and pin at about 12" intervals of the string for the sweep,then get a
pencil and carefully run it up the string till you have the sweep/s marked
on the wall then you need a steady hand to paint the joining sweeps lines
once you have done the lines you can then relax and paint the entire inside
sweeps.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Nico_2t wrote:
Hi all...

Wonder if anyone can help....

In the middle of decorating my bedroom and would like to do the below
design on my back wall as a focal point but in different colours.

However, anyone have any ideas how to measure it out on the wall
before painting so as to make it look even?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tie a pencil to a piece of string.
Fasten the string to the top of the wall with a drawing pin, near the
ceiling, with the pencil hanging down.
Draw your first arc.
Wrap the string around the pencil until it's about a foot shorter and do the
same again.

Junior Member

Location: Scotland
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil L
Nico_2t wrote:
Hi all...

Wonder if anyone can help....

In the middle of decorating my bedroom and would like to do the below
design on my back wall as a focal point but in different colours.

However, anyone have any ideas how to measure it out on the wall
before painting so as to make it look even?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tie a pencil to a piece of string.
Fasten the string to the top of the wall with a drawing pin, near the
ceiling, with the pencil hanging down.
Draw your first arc.
Wrap the string around the pencil until it's about a foot shorter and do the
same again.

Thanx for reply.

Am still none the wiser....wonder if it would alright with just equal stripes straight across!!!

Anyway..

1) What length of string should i use?
2) How will that make them equal in width
3) I'm being thick am I?! (careful with your answer)

Thanx again
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Nico_2t wrote:
Hi all...

Wonder if anyone can help....

In the middle of decorating my bedroom and would like to do the below
design on my back wall as a focal point but in different colours.

I the name of all that's holy, why? Do you want to look like a chav?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Nico_2t wrote:
Phil L Wrote:
Nico_2t wrote:
[...]

I don't know, it depends how far down the wall you want the arc.

2) How will that make them equal in width

Because the string is always straight, provided you keep it tight while you
are drawing.

3) I'm being thick am I?! (careful with your answer)

Quite possibly, or maybe I'm not being clear :-p

Have you never seen a groundsman draw a large circle on a football pitch? -
or a semi circle?
He knocks a stake into the centre spot with a rope attached to it, then
measures out half of the width of the final circle.
Attached to the end of the rope is his whitewash brush and he walks around
in a circle, this is the same way you can do an arc....if you shorten the
rope/string you will get another circle/arc slighlty smaller than the first,
but equal

Junior Member

Location: Scotland
Wink

Thanx for your help...it worked a treat...much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The3rd Earl Of Derby