Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(back at home\)

Default pigeon scarer

Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 14:19:16 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

Shoot the buggers.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

wrote:

Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

Probably better playing the cd's instead of hanging them up.

Maybe a sign about Bird Flu Prevalent Here ..lol..In Pidgeon English,of course.

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"tim (back at home)" wrote:
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

Google for anti-roost pigeon (or bird deterrent) spikes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(back at home\)

"Phil Anthropist" wrote in message
"tim (back at home)" wrote:
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

Google for anti-roost pigeon (or bird deterrent) spikes.

A sensible answer at least - thanks,

but)

1) They are roosting on the floor of the balcony, not
the guardrail

2) The balcony has to be in a state that I can use it
after I have got rid of them.

I've thought of putting up netting to stop them getting in,
but that will look horrible

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 14:19:16 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

Large plastic owl and move it about, not a joke !!

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"tim (back at home)" wrote:
A sensible answer at least - thanks,

but)

1) They are roosting on the floor of the balcony, not
the guardrail

2) The balcony has to be in a state that I can use it
after I have got rid of them.

I've thought of putting up netting to stop them getting in,
but that will look horrible

tim

In that case you could ask the pest control department at your local council
for advice, and possibly also ask for advice from a local pest control firm
in your Yellow Pages. See http://www.picas.org.uk/conventional_control.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 16:23:42 +0100, "tim \(back at home\)"
wrote:

I've thought of putting up netting to stop them getting in,
but that will look horrible

tim

True..but what is worse .Netting or pidgeons.??

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 16:23:42 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

A sensible answer at least - thanks,

What was wrong with my idea? Shoot them.

If you don't have a gun, poison them.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 14:19:16 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

Large plastic owl and move it about, not a joke !!

Its cheaper and easier to try a black paper cut-out of a hawk stuck to the
window first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , Stuart
writes
wrote:

I've thought of putting up netting to stop them getting in,
but that will look horrible

tim

True..but what is worse .Netting or pidgeons.??

Get an airgun . Take a few pot shots at them and they'll soon get the
message to sod off elsewhere!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|"Phil Anthropist" wrote in message
| "tim (back at home)" wrote:
| Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.
|
| Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?
|
| My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
| hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
| they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.
|
| tim
|
| Google for anti-roost pigeon (or bird deterrent) spikes.
|
|A sensible answer at least - thanks,
|
|but)
|
|1) They are roosting on the floor of the balcony, not
|the guardrail
|
|2) The balcony has to be in a state that I can use it
|after I have got rid of them.
|
|I've thought of putting up netting to stop them getting in,
|but that will look horrible

Public Buildings in Bradford have pigeon problems, because they roost on
The Victorian decorative stonework.

They all have netting over the stonework, which is almost invisible from
Ground Level. The sides and edges have a wire run through the net, which
is *Well* anchored at both ends.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

"tim (back at home)" wrote:
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

Google for anti-roost pigeon (or bird deterrent) spikes.

A sensible answer at least - thanks,

but)

1) They are roosting on the floor of the balcony, not
the guardrail

2) The balcony has to be in a state that I can use it
after I have got rid of them.

I've thought of putting up netting to stop them getting in,
but that will look horrible

tim

Chicken wire as a temporary block of the balconeys opening.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

tim (back at home) wrote:
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

http://www.astwell.co.uk/Bird_Scarer.htm

or pigeon netting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

tony sayer wrote:

Get an airgun . Take a few pot shots at them and they'll soon get the
message to sod off elsewhere!.....

I don't think pigeons are actually bright enough to associate death with a
place.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"tim \(back at home\)" writes:
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

In Los Angeles, you will see concrete owls on the tops of
buildings. When I first saw them, I thought they must be a
local symbol or mascot. However, when I asked someone, I
was told they are there to scare pigeons away, and come to
think of it, I don't recall seeing any pigeons when I'm
there.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 14:19:16 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

Shoot the buggers.

An automated airgun would be a nice toy.
Obviously, it'd need safety interlocks.

Combine with many pigeon recipies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
tony sayer wrote:

Get an airgun . Take a few pot shots at them and they'll soon get the
message to sod off elsewhere!.....

I don't think pigeons are actually bright enough to associate death with a
place.

Well the y do here!. Perhaps its because their Cambridge pigeons.

Just open the door slightly and once they see the barrel, there're
off!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"tim (back at home)" wrote:
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

Regarding suggestions to shoot them, uk.legal.moderated is quite good if you
ever need legal advice following arrest for gun-related offences.

Phil
----

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(back at home\)

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 16:23:42 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

A sensible answer at least - thanks,

What was wrong with my idea? Shoot them.

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that having killed
the first 2, some more would take their place.

If you don't have a gun, poison them.

Of course I don't have a gun, I live in a town
centre third floor flat. The rozzers would be
round in a jiffy if I displayed such an item (they
are 200 yards away from my abode).

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
misterroy

http://www.trapman.co.uk/feral-pigeon-trap.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

Get an airgun . Take a few pot shots at them and they'll soon get the
message to sod off elsewhere!.....

I don't think pigeons are actually bright enough to associate death with a
place.

So there's no way they could find their way home ... ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mogga

"tim (back at home)" wrote:
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

Google for anti-roost pigeon (or bird deterrent) spikes.

A sensible answer at least - thanks,

but)

1) They are roosting on the floor of the balcony, not
the guardrail

2) The balcony has to be in a state that I can use it
after I have got rid of them.

You own it?

I've thought of putting up netting to stop them getting in,
but that will look horrible

A friend used a thin thread just above the handrail to stop them
landing on that ... Not sure how effective it was but you have to stop
them laying eggs. They're horrid things and you'll end up with dead
baby ones.

tim

--
Get money off vouchers for everything
http://www.moneyoffvouchers.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , "tim (back at home)"
writes

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 16:23:42 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

A sensible answer at least - thanks,

What was wrong with my idea? Shoot them.

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that having killed
the first 2, some more would take their place.

If you don't have a gun, poison them.

Of course I don't have a gun, I live in a town
centre third floor flat. The rozzers would be
round in a jiffy if I displayed such an item (they
are 200 yards away from my abode).

Shouldn't be a problem, just report a break in - that'll keep them away

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason

..
I've thought of putting up netting to stop them getting in,
but that will look horrible

Here in Newcastle, there are entire building fronts covered in netting to
keep the pigeons off. The building here has a net from top to bottom:

http://www.freefoto.com/preview.jsp?...stle+upon+Tyne

It is black and very fine, and virtually invisible.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

John Cartmell wrote:
So there's no way they could find their way home ... ;-)

Bright enough to fly away if a sudden movement disturbs them sure and they
can mysteriously navigate home. But time & time again pidgeons and similar
'no brain' creatures will return to a set of circumstances or a place that
obviously means sudden death to their own kind.

Either they aint that bright or perhaps there are so many of the buggers its
new ones every time?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 01:21:03 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

| I don't think pigeons are actually bright enough to associate death
| with a place.
|
|tony sayer wrote:
| Just open the door slightly and once they see the barrel, there're
| off!.....
|
| John Cartmell wrote:
| So there's no way they could find their way home ... ;-)
|
|Bright enough to fly away if a sudden movement disturbs them sure and they
|can mysteriously navigate home. But time & time again pidgeons and similar
|'no brain' creatures will return to a set of circumstances or a place that
|obviously means sudden death to their own kind.
|
|Either they aint that bright or perhaps there are so many of the buggers its
|new ones every time?

Well it is *certainly* not the dead ones which return ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(back at home\)

"tim (back at home)" wrote:
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

Google for anti-roost pigeon (or bird deterrent) spikes.

A sensible answer at least - thanks,

but)

1) They are roosting on the floor of the balcony, not
the guardrail

2) The balcony has to be in a state that I can use it
after I have got rid of them.

You own it?

Eh?

I've thought of putting up netting to stop them getting in,
but that will look horrible

A friend used a thin thread just above the handrail to stop them
landing on that ... Not sure how effective it was but you have to stop
them laying eggs. They're horrid things and you'll end up with dead
baby ones.

They've laid an egg this morning

Now what do I do?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

"tim (back at home)" wrote:
[...]

How long ya been in the flat?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(back at home\)

"Jason" wrote in message
.. .

..
I've thought of putting up netting to stop them getting in,
but that will look horrible

Here in Newcastle, there are entire building fronts covered in netting to
keep the pigeons off. The building here has a net from top to bottom:

http://www.freefoto.com/preview.jsp?...stle+upon+Tyne

It is black and very fine, and virtually invisible.

From the outside, perhaps.

But surely from the inside it's always going to get in
the way of one 'enjoying' the balcony

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:06:01 +0100, Owain wrote:

Dave Stanton wrote:
Large plastic owl and move it about, not a joke !!

In some of the "cheap tat" shops I've seen dummy CCTV cameras that have
a PIR motion sensor and a small motor to move them. One of those
mechanisms fitted under said owl?

Owain

Good idea, but I was also thinking moving it from place to place.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"tim (back at home)" wrote in message

They've laid an egg this morning

Now what do I do?

Hardboil it.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(back at home\)

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...

"tim (back at home)" wrote:
[...]

7.5 years.

This is the first time they have decided that they like
my balcony.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 10:18:52 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Hardboil it.

Mary Fisher!

What about all that tree-hugging stuff you normally do ;-)

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:24:38 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

Of course I don't have a gun, I live in a town centre third floor flat.

In some parts of the country, a gun is the norm for flat dwellers.

I was thinking more of an air rifle, very effective at short range. An
AK47 does tend to make a bit of a mess of the woodwork.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo

Phil Anthropist wrote:

Regarding suggestions to shoot them, uk.legal.moderated is quite good if you
ever need legal advice following arrest for gun-related offences.

So they now have broadband in the cells...

Mungo :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

The Medway Handyman wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

Get an airgun . Take a few pot shots at them and they'll soon get the
message to sod off elsewhere!.....

I don't think pigeons are actually bright enough to associate death with a
place.

Pigeons are a LOT smarter han you think. Round here you just walk down
the garden and they grin at you.
Walk with a long sticklike object and they scatter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"tim \(back at home\)" writes:
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

In Los Angeles, you will see concrete owls on the tops of
buildings. When I first saw them, I thought they must be a
local symbol or mascot. However, when I asked someone, I
was told they are there to scare pigeons away, and come to
think of it, I don't recall seeing any pigeons when I'm
there.

LA has the greatest density of guns per individual anywhere in the world
I shouldn't wonder.

Surprised the wols are there,let alone pidgins. ;-)

Pigeon Control PDQ Home Repair 27 February 27th 06 02:05 AM
OT pigeon hate tony sayer UK diy 83 August 19th 05 09:01 AM