Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default pigeon scarer

tim (back at home) wrote:
"mogga" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 16:23:42 +0100, "tim \(back at home\)"
wrote:

"Phil Anthropist" wrote in message
"tim (back at home)" wrote:
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim
Google for anti-roost pigeon (or bird deterrent) spikes.
A sensible answer at least - thanks,

but)

1) They are roosting on the floor of the balcony, not
the guardrail

2) The balcony has to be in a state that I can use it
after I have got rid of them.

You own it?

Eh?

I've thought of putting up netting to stop them getting in,
but that will look horrible

A friend used a thin thread just above the handrail to stop them
landing on that ... Not sure how effective it was but you have to stop
them laying eggs. They're horrid things and you'll end up with dead
baby ones.

They've laid an egg this morning

Now what do I do?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

tim

Eat the egg, then eat the pigeon that laid it. Then eat the pigeon that
laid the pigeon that laid the egg.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

tim (back at home) wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...

"tim (back at home)" wrote:
[...]

How long ya been in the flat?

7.5 years.

This is the first time they have decided that they like
my balcony.

tim

They've come back from their holidays.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 08:47:08 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

They've laid an egg this morning

So they are going to keep coming back, you won't be able to scare them
away now.

If a gun is not practical, trap them, preferably with a twin-chamber
trap. Failing that, get a washing up bowl, prop it up on a stick tied
to a string, and wait ...

Don't try to release them, they will come back. See he

http://www.pigeonwatch.co.uk/recipes.htm

Don't bother to pluck them, just skin the breasts.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:30:42 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Eat the egg, then eat the pigeon that laid it. Then eat the pigeon that
laid the pigeon that laid the egg.

Does this ultimately imply eating God?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

wrote:

Eat the egg, then eat the pigeon that laid it. Then eat the pigeon that
laid the pigeon that laid the egg.

Does this ultimately imply eating God?

Yes, but not in Korea where there is a character inversion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Pigeons are a LOT smarter han you think. Round here you just walk down
the garden and they grin at you.
Walk with a long sticklike object and they scatter.

If you are seeing pigeons grinning at you, I'd leave off the ale for a
while.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 14:19:16 +0100, "tim \(back at home\)"
wrote:

Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

PIR triggered cat noises?

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:29:38 +0100, Owain wrote:

Dave Stanton wrote:
In some of the "cheap tat" shops I've seen dummy CCTV cameras that have
a PIR motion sensor and a small motor to move them. One of those
mechanisms fitted under said owl?

Good idea, but I was also thinking moving it from place to place.

What about paving the patio with veroboard with alternate tracks
connected to an electric fence impulser?

Owain

LOL nice one !!!

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(back at home\)

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 08:47:08 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

They've laid an egg this morning

So they are going to keep coming back, you won't be able to scare them
away now.

I had feared this.

They don't fly away as soon as they see me through the
window any more. I now have to bang on the window.

Actually, they look quite cute looking after their egg.

Pity they are pigeons.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"tim \(back at home\)" writes:

Actually, they look quite cute looking after their egg.

We had one at work just outside the window. Actually, the
nest was on top of one of the security floodlamps, which
probably helped with the egg. We setup a webcam on it,
and people from all round the world were watching our
pigeon. The pigeons left the nest and didn't reuse it
after the chick had gone. As nests go, it was rather
pathetic anyway -- very little in the way of any nesting
materials.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , tim (back at home)
writes
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

tim (back from Sweden?)

A quick google suggests pigeons are susceptible to ultrasound attack so
that might me an avenue to explore. Looks like catty ultrasound deterrents
are cheaper than birdy deterrents so may be a cheaper source. DIY
cheaper still if you're of the veroboard & solder fraternity.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 18:22:03 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

Actually, they look quite cute looking after their egg.

Don't be fooled. They are pests and spread diseases. It's like rabbits
(and foxes) if they had scales they would be been wiped out by now.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(back at home\)

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"tim \(back at home\)" writes:

Actually, they look quite cute looking after their egg.

We had one at work just outside the window. Actually, the
nest was on top of one of the security floodlamps, which
probably helped with the egg. We setup a webcam on it,
and people from all round the world were watching our
pigeon. The pigeons left the nest and didn't reuse it
after the chick had gone. As nests go, it was rather
pathetic anyway -- very little in the way of any nesting
materials.

Yep, it was about three dozen loose sticks until I
cleared it away yesterday.

They came back with 5 or 6 sticks and laid their egg
on that.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(back at home\)

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , tim (back at home)
writes
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

tim (back from Sweden?)

Yup, I like to keep some continuity.

(I used to post here a lot 6 ISP accounts ago, but
much less frequently since I started the trips abroad)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 18:22:03 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

Actually, they look quite cute looking after their egg.

Don't be fooled. They are pests and spread diseases. It's like rabbits
(and foxes) if they had scales they would be been wiped out by now.

They're birds. They do have scales. You need to take more interest in the
wild-life around you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"tim (back at home)" wrote in message

Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Wood or Feral?

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , Dave
writes
On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 22:16:09 GMT, "VisionSet" wrote:

"tim (back at home)" wrote in message

Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Wood or Feral?

Who cares. Stick doves on the list too.
Cutout of hawks etc DO NOT WORK. I've tried several designs placed in various
places. The pigeon is such a completely STUPID FILTHY creature that even if it
going to get attacked still pecks away and spreads filth everywhere if lands. As
you can guess I hate the damn things. My elderly (fit and alert but stupendously
inconsiderate) neighbour has multiple bird feeders and spends all of 1 hour per
day watching them. She then retires to the other end of house and spies of the
passers-by for the rest of the day. Thing is I work nights and the bird noise in
the early hours from this overfeeding wakes me at 05:30 most mornings. So I get
maybe 3 hours sleep on a good night. Oh yes, the PIGeons. The small birds throw
seed up in the air and it lands on what's left of the lawn. There. the pigeons
go for it.
AFAIK you cannot (in law) just go firing an airgun within certain distance of
anothers property. Also poisoning is probably illegal - and in the present time
of bird flu risk rather silly as it may cause unnecessary worry.
Wish I had a solution for you - but haven't found one myself.

A small improvement for me recently though. The clouds of sparrows that feed off
this artificial feast were slowed up recently when a WONDERFUL Sparrow Hawk
barrelled into the sods. It grabbed a sparrow and ripped it to shreds on my
lawn. It was at least, quick. At least there is some natural justice and I hope
the Hawk sticks around. Pity the real cause isn't prey for it!

ps Actually maybe there ought to be some emergency legislation to stop
over-feeding of wild birds - that's the last thing we need now with high risk
bird-flu possibility.

Been to the council with this at all?. Environmental health and that?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news

A small improvement for me recently though. The clouds of sparrows that
feed off
this artificial feast were slowed up recently when a WONDERFUL Sparrow
Hawk
barrelled into the sods. It grabbed a sparrow and ripped it to shreds on
my
lawn. It was at least, quick. At least there is some natural justice and I
hope
the Hawk sticks around. Pity the real cause isn't prey for it!

ps Actually maybe there ought to be some emergency legislation to stop
over-feeding of wild birds - that's the last thing we need now with high
risk
bird-flu possibility.

Been to the council with this at all?. Environmental health and that?...
--
Tony Sayer

I've just seen this outpouring and would like to point out that sparrowhawks
are birds too. They defaecate and are as prone to AI as any other bird - and
far more likely to contract it than humans.

They only take one bird at a time so won't impact on flocks of sparrows.
They have also been known to kill pigeons, they even frighten my bantams.

You can't over-feed wild birds. They're far more sensible than humans, you
never see a fat one even when they feed on the detritus of human activity.

:-)

Out now to buy another sack of wild bird grain ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Eat the egg, then eat the pigeon that laid it. Then eat the pigeon that
laid the pigeon that laid the egg.

Does this ultimately imply eating God?

Only if you have adequate salt and vinegar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:56:56 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

Does this ultimately imply eating God?

That would be a very light snack.

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 23:35:52 GMT, Dave wrote:

Wood or Feral?

Who cares. Stick doves on the list too.

Bloody doves, what a racket!

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

"tim \(back at home\)" writes:

Actually, they look quite cute looking after their egg.

We had one at work just outside the window. Actually, the
nest was on top of one of the security floodlamps, which
probably helped with the egg. We setup a webcam on it,
and people from all round the world were watching our
pigeon. The pigeons left the nest and didn't reuse it
after the chick had gone. As nests go, it was rather
pathetic anyway -- very little in the way of any nesting
materials.

Yep, it was about three dozen loose sticks until I
cleared it away yesterday.

They came back with 5 or 6 sticks and laid their egg
on that.

Give them something better to work with, poor little birdies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Rob Morley wrote:
In article

They came back with 5 or 6 sticks and laid their egg
on that.

Give them something better to work with, poor little birdies.

Sticks of dynamite.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(back at home\)

"tim (back at home)" wrote in message
Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.

Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?

My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.

tim

Up until yesterday, Mrs Pigeon was sitting on two eggs
in the corner of my balcony.

This morning, I noticed that both birds were sitting on the
outside ledge of the balcony so I looked out of the window
to see an empty nest. The birds flew away when they saw
me and haven't been back.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"tim (back at home)" wrote in message

Up until yesterday, Mrs Pigeon was sitting on two eggs
in the corner of my balcony.

This morning, I noticed that both birds were sitting on the
outside ledge of the balcony so I looked out of the window
to see an empty nest. The birds flew away when they saw
me and haven't been back

I doubt that they'll be back but you might be lucky.

I'm hoping for four chicks in a week's time.

Mary

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:47:43 +0100, "tim \(back at home\)"
wrote:

|"tim (back at home)" wrote in message
| Bloody pigeons have started to roost on my balcony.
|
| Does anyone know how to stop them doing this?
|
| My sister suggested hanging up some CDs but this
| hasn't helped, neither has removing the furniture that
| they were sitting under, they still sit in the same place.
|
| tim
|
|Up until yesterday, Mrs Pigeon was sitting on two eggs
|in the corner of my balcony.
|
|This morning, I noticed that both birds were sitting on the
|outside ledge of the balcony so I looked out of the window
|to see an empty nest. The birds flew away when they saw
|me and haven't been back.

Clear away all traces of the nest, or they may come back.

Pigeon Control PDQ Home Repair 27 February 27th 06 02:05 AM
OT pigeon hate tony sayer UK diy 83 August 19th 05 09:01 AM