Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

Default Removal of (large) trees and planning

What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's private
garden?

Am I allowed to trim them? Cut them down? etc. Any reference to the
relevant regulations wold be great. Are these specific to each council?

What is the situation regarding bushes? I have a few that are larger than
some of the trees...

TIA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim_in_sussex

JoeJoe wrote:
What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's private
garden?

complex issue

how private? & how well known are they to the neighbours, local
busybodies; our masters?

to stay legal, issues you need to go into a

Are you in a conservation area?

Any tree preservation orders in force [hedges can have these too]?

Any restrictive covenants in your house title?

How much are you wanting to cut back? There is a 5cubic metre/year
timber cutting allowance - beyond that you must get a Forestry
Commission licence to cut [ in addition to any other permissiion
needed].

Discrete initial queries about your area and not specific to your
property are advisable. Otherwise you may alert the council and get a
preservation order or worse clamped down. If you become aware of
impending restrictions, move fast.

Ask at your local council for leaflets about conservation areas, tree
preservation orders and it may also be able to give you the Forestry
Commission leaflet about felling timber.

If you do need to seek permission to deal with the trees, application
is usually free, unlike normal planning permission

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's
private garden?

Am I allowed to trim them? Cut them down? etc. Any reference to the
relevant regulations wold be great. Are these specific to each council?

What is the situation regarding bushes? I have a few that are larger than
some of the trees...

TIA.

Cut them down, who is going to know unless you contct the local news team.
Surely no one can be sad enough to have the time to watch you and then
report your actions.
I've cut a few trees down and got shut of a few in a skip!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:52:01 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's private
garden?

Am I allowed to trim them? Cut them down? etc. Any reference to the
relevant regulations wold be great. Are these specific to each council?

What is the situation regarding bushes? I have a few that are larger than
some of the trees...

TIA.

I believe you may also run into regs concerning birds nesting at this time
of year.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 22:52:01 +0100, "JoeJoe" wrote:

What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's private
garden?

Am I allowed to trim them? Cut them down? etc. Any reference to the
relevant regulations wold be great. Are these specific to each council?

What is the situation regarding bushes? I have a few that are larger than
some of the trees...

TIA.

AFAIK, unless there is a tree presrvation order, you can cut em down.
The act of asking if there is an order, often resuts in one occouring,
the reason being that as you are asking, they must be nice trees worth
keeping.

The fine for knocking down preserved trees is not as much as the cost
of keeping them. Also oonce planning see em, they may insist you keep
em.

Round here devlopers move in, and chainsaw all the tress at say 4am,
then they go for planning. This stops an order being made before they
are finished. Any fines thay may get are just part of the
cost-of-works.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , john
writes

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's
private garden?

Am I allowed to trim them? Cut them down? etc. Any reference to the
relevant regulations wold be great. Are these specific to each council?

What is the situation regarding bushes? I have a few that are larger than
some of the trees...

TIA.

Cut them down, who is going to know unless you contct the local news team.
Surely no one can be sad enough to have the time to watch you and then
report your actions.

A some people can be bothered about everything their neighbours are
doing.....

I've cut a few trees down and got shut of a few in a skip!

so I have I in a previous house, however.

Did the trees have TPO? were they in a conservation area? if not then
you are pretty much free to do what you want anyway.

To the OP's question. Someone else has mentioned finding out if they are
covered by TPO's or conservation area status (you should have been told
this when the house was purchased). You have to get permission
(TPO)/notify the council of intended works, though there are exemptions
such as those with trunks 75mm diameter

The rules are the same across the country (E&W I'm talking here, dunno
about Scotland & NI)

Here is a link to the info on the Huntingdonshire DC website:

http://www.huntsdc.gov.uk/Environmen...conservation/T
ree+Preservation.htm
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

"jim_in_sussex" wrote in message
oups.com...

JoeJoe wrote:
What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's
private
garden?

complex issue

how private? & how well known are they to the neighbours, local
busybodies; our masters?

Neighbours are OK, although I cannot guarantee that all will stay quite.

to stay legal, issues you need to go into a

Are you in a conservation area?

No.

Any tree preservation orders in force [hedges can have these too]?

Don't think so.

Any restrictive covenants in your house title?

Don't think so.

How much are you wanting to cut back? There is a 5cubic metre/year
timber cutting allowance - beyond that you must get a Forestry
Commission licence to cut [ in addition to any other permissiion
needed].

Discrete initial queries about your area and not specific to your
property are advisable. Otherwise you may alert the council and get a
preservation order or worse clamped down. If you become aware of
impending restrictions, move fast.

That was my concern - certainly don't want to feed the trolls...

Ask at your local council for leaflets about conservation areas, tree
preservation orders and it may also be able to give you the Forestry
Commission leaflet about felling timber.

Will do that. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PhilC

"Rick" wrote in message
[...]

Many local authorities have sites covered by TPO's on their website it's
worth a look. Another poster mentioned volume of timber removed and Forestry
Commission licence I'm sure this does not apply to domestic situations and
never heard of a hedge/shrub TPO! May be he is referring to Ancient Monument
status of some very rare ancient hedgerows

PhilC

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

"Rick" wrote in message
[...]

That was my thinking as well.

Whilst I usually always follow the law to the letter (makes me sleep better
at night...), waiting nearly two years for a planning permission, just
because we were honest and clear about our plans has exhausted our patience
for the council lot. They seem to take great pleasure in making your life
difficult... One change alone to our plan resulted in an extra £10k added to
the overall cost... Despite allowing the houses to the right and left of us
doing exactly what we were planning to do, one only a year ago, they
insisted that they cannot allow us to do it now...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , PhilC
writes

Many local authorities have sites covered by TPO's on their website it's
worth a look. Another poster mentioned volume of timber removed and Forestry
Commission licence I'm sure this does not apply to domestic situations

I'm pretty sure too.

and
never heard of a hedge/shrub TPO!

Indeed, hedges/shrubs aren't specifically not covered by TPO's

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:52:01 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's
private
garden?

Am I allowed to trim them? Cut them down? etc. Any reference to the
relevant regulations wold be great. Are these specific to each council?

What is the situation regarding bushes? I have a few that are larger
than
some of the trees...

TIA.

I believe you may also run into regs concerning birds nesting at this time
of year.

I don'tknow if there are regs but that's my concern about one of the trees
in our garden - the only large one left and the only bird-friendly one in
sight. All the neighbours have removed theirs (and some beautiful ones, such
as a mature red hawthorn), the gardens look like allotments :-(.

Spouse wants to fell it, I say we shouldn't at this time of year, the rest
of the year is either too busy or too cold, then nesting time comes round
again :-)

There are collar doves, blackbirds, tits (coal and blue) and sparrows in
there and possibly others.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:52:01 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's
private
garden?

I believe you may also run into regs concerning birds nesting at this time
of year.

I don'tknow if there are regs

There are. Under the Wildlife and Countryside act 1981 it is illegal to
disturb nesting wild birds (with possibly a few exceptions - i can't
remember)

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:52:01 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's
private
garden?

I believe you may also run into regs concerning birds nesting at this
time
of year.

I don'tknow if there are regs

There are. Under the Wildlife and Countryside act 1981 it is illegal to
disturb nesting wild birds (with possibly a few exceptions - i can't
remember)

Even in the city?

That would be very good to know.

Mary

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Rick wrote:
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 22:52:01 +0100, "JoeJoe" wrote:

What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's
private garden?

Am I allowed to trim them? Cut them down? etc. Any reference to the
relevant regulations wold be great. Are these specific to each
council?

What is the situation regarding bushes? I have a few that are
larger than some of the trees...

TIA.

AFAIK, unless there is a tree presrvation order, you can cut em down.
The act of asking if there is an order, often resuts in one occouring,
the reason being that as you are asking, they must be nice trees worth
keeping.

I agree, chop them down first and don't bother asking questions later.

The fine for knocking down preserved trees is not as much as the cost
of keeping them. Also oonce planning see em, they may insist you keep
em.

Round here devlopers move in, and chainsaw all the tress at say 4am,
then they go for planning. This stops an order being made before they
are finished. Any fines thay may get are just part of the
cost-of-works.

This is how it should be, if you buy the land/house etc then the trees are
yours to do what you please, all these 'orders' and regulations are in place
to prevent those who enquire from cutting them down, those that don't
enquire chop them down anyway, and it's a bit late for anyone to do anything
about it then.

If you go to google and search for prosecutions in the UK, there are none,
even for developers who have cut down a lot at once.
My advice is don't ask, just chop, if you ask the answer will more than
likely be 'no' and worse still they will be keeping an eye on them from then
on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"chris French" wrote in message

There are. Under the Wildlife and Countryside act 1981 it is illegal to
disturb nesting wild birds (with possibly a few exceptions - i can't
remember)

Even in the city?

Yes.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

JoeJoe wrote:
What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's private
garden?

Am I allowed to trim them? Cut them down? etc. Any reference to the
relevant regulations wold be great. Are these specific to each council?

What is the situation regarding bushes? I have a few that are larger than
some of the trees...

TIA.

Unless they have preservation orders on them, you can do what you ruddy
well like AFAIAW.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Default tits, how did they get that name?

Mary Fisher wrote:

There are collar doves, blackbirds, tits (coal and blue) and sparrows in
there and possibly others.

Mary, can you tell me how the tit family got its name?
I tried a google for an answer and got the obvious mammary return.

Dave

p.s. This is a valid question raised in the real ale pub that I have to
attend every day :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Dave wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

There are collar doves, blackbirds, tits (coal and blue) and
sparrows in there and possibly others.

Mary, can you tell me how the tit family got its name?
I tried a google for an answer and got the obvious mammary return.

Dave

p.s. This is a valid question raised in the real ale pub that I have
to attend every day :-)

Tit is an old Germanic word for "small" and is used in various northern
European languages to refer to small objects, animals, or people, especially
girlsfor example, titta is a Norwegian dialect word for "little girl." The
word is most common in American English in combinations that denote various
small birds, such as the titmouse or tomtit. A titman in the 19th century
could mean a small or stunted person, as Henry David Thoreau indicates when
he calls his generation "a race of tit-men." Tit and titman are still used
in New England, mostly by farmers to refer to the runt of a litter of pigs.

From Dictionary.com

Attached Images

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Phil L wrote:

Dave wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

From Dictionary.com

Many thanks for that quick answer :-)
It looks like I am going to spend some time at that site.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Dave wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

There are collar doves, blackbirds, tits (coal and blue) and
sparrows in there and possibly others.

Mary, can you tell me how the tit family got its name?
I tried a google for an answer and got the obvious mammary return.

Dave

p.s. This is a valid question raised in the real ale pub that I have
to attend every day :-)

Tit is an old Germanic word for "small" and is used in various northern
European languages to refer to small objects, animals, or people, especially
girlsfor example, titta is a Norwegian dialect word for "little girl."

Hence "Titty" in Swallows & Amazons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Phil L
writes
Dave wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

So how did it come to be associated with breasts then ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mogga

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 17:11:29 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"chris French" wrote in message

There are. Under the Wildlife and Countryside act 1981 it is illegal to
disturb nesting wild birds (with possibly a few exceptions - i can't
remember)

Even in the city?

Yes.

In Manchester police attended a tree felling to stop people protesting
- there was a birds nest in one of the trees but the police said
magpies don't count.

--
Get money off vouchers for everything
http://www.moneyoffvouchers.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

raden wrote:
So how did it come to be associated with breasts then ?

No idea, probably because they are (mostly) small?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:34:29 UTC, raden wrote:

Tit is an old Germanic word for "small" and is used in various northern
European languages to refer to small objects, animals, or people, especially
girlsfor example, titta is a Norwegian dialect word for "little girl." The
word is most common in American English in combinations that denote various
small birds, such as the titmouse or tomtit. A titman in the 19th century
could mean a small or stunted person, as Henry David Thoreau indicates when
he calls his generation "a race of tit-men." Tit and titman are still used
in New England, mostly by farmers to refer to the runt of a litter of pigs.

So how did it come to be associated with breasts then ?

It's a corruption of 'teat'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article , raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
Dave wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

Old English Titt = teat

And before you ask, tittilate is from the Latin for tickle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 18:42:03 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Dave wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

From Dictionary.com

So weight watchers are trying to make tits of themselves?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:22:44 UTC, John Cartmell
wrote:

Tit is an old Germanic word for "small" and is used in various northern
European languages to refer to small objects, animals, or people, especially
girlsfor example, titta is a Norwegian dialect word for "little girl."

Hence "Titty" in Swallows & Amazons.

Actually, not...funnily enough, have just been putting our Ransomes on a
new shelf.....

In the BBC series, they sanitised it to 'Kitty'. The real name was, of
course, Letitia, but she hated the name.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"chris French" wrote in message

There are. Under the Wildlife and Countryside act 1981 it is illegal to
disturb nesting wild birds (with possibly a few exceptions - i can't
remember)

Even in the city?

Yes.

Good. Thanks.

Mary
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Dave" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

There are collar doves, blackbirds, tits (coal and blue) and sparrows in
there and possibly others.

Mary, can you tell me how the tit family got its name?
I tried a google for an answer and got the obvious mammary return.

Dave

p.s. This is a valid question raised in the real ale pub that I have to
attend every day :-)

I couldn't possibly compete with beer drinkers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 21:56:07 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

There are collar doves, blackbirds, tits (coal and blue) and sparrows in
there and possibly others.

Mary, can you tell me how the tit family got its name?
I tried a google for an answer and got the obvious mammary return.

Dave

p.s. This is a valid question raised in the real ale pub that I have to
attend every day :-)

I couldn't possibly compete with beer drinkers.

If it's Tetleys you wouldn't be....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 20:54:59 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
Dave wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

Presumably the origin for "slap and tickle" one assumes...

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , mogga
writes
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 17:11:29 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"chris French" wrote in message

There are. Under the Wildlife and Countryside act 1981 it is illegal to
disturb nesting wild birds (with possibly a few exceptions - i can't
remember)

Even in the city?

Yes.

In Manchester police attended a tree felling to stop people protesting
- there was a birds nest in one of the trees but the police said
magpies don't count.

As I said, there could be some exceptions, without looking it up I
couldn't be sure what.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

anything to do with French for small - petit - perhaps ?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim_in_sussex

chris French wrote:
In message , PhilC
writes

Many local authorities have sites covered by TPO's on their website it's
worth a look. Another poster mentioned volume of timber removed and Forestry
Commission licence I'm sure this does not apply to domestic situations

I'm pretty sure too.

yes that is right - a fact omitted from the Forestry Commission leaflet
& the allowance is per quarter, see:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-5YGFHR

Q. Does the '5 cubic metre rule' apply to the landowner or the
tenant?

A. Forestry Act 1967 Section 9 (3), as amended by the Forestry
(Modification of Felling Restrictions) Regulations 1985 - SI 1985 No
1958), provides that;

'felling of trees of licensable size by any person on land in his
occupation or occupied by a tenant of his, does not require a felling
licence provided that the aggregate cubic content of the trees felled
by that person does not exceed 5 cubic metres in any calendar quarter;
and the cubic content sold does not exceed 2 cubic metres'.

This is taken to mean that the allowance applies to the occupier of the
land regardless of whether the occupier is the landowner or a tenant.

Trees in a garden
Q. Is a licence required for felling a tree(s) in a garden?
A. No. Felling trees in a garden is exempt from felling licence
requirements. However, the owner may need permission from the local
authority if there is TPO on the tree(s).

Apologies for taking the FF leaflet at face value. Be careful though,
various comments that come my way indicate the FF are tetchy b*t*ds and
will prosecute at the drop of a hat - 'garden' means just that, not
attached paddocks or fields or woodland and so on..

It may be that the FF is a downtrodden dept and feels the need to raise
its profile by wielding the big stick every so often. It may be
underbudgetted too, & so need to raise funds - yes fines do go the
Treasury, but costs go to the FF.

and
never heard of a hedge/shrub TPO!

Indeed, hedges/shrubs aren't specifically not covered by TPO's

Hedges certainly can be protected, though my recollection is that it is
done in a similar way to TPOs, I can't recall exact details.

All hedges within a Conservation are protected, garden or not, and
whether or not they form a property boundary. Also 5 cubic m of tree
isn't very much wood.

Finally would endorse comments by other posters re not drawing
attention to your trees. TPOs can be imposed at the drop of a hat.
Any contact with the council needs to be anonymous and vague, and refer
to a large area - several parishes, 'north (or S E W) side of the
District': ask for a list of conservation areas not a specific one; If
you want to see a specific plan or details, ask to see several well
separated ones. If they won't show you anything without a name or
address, you are Mr Smith living at your great-granny's address and
lookiing to move into the area and house hunting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

wrote:

So how did it come to be associated with breasts then ?

Old English Titt = teat

And before you ask, tittilate is from the Latin for tickle.

Well, it can't be co-incidence can it? :-))

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's
private garden?

Am I allowed to trim them? Cut them down? etc. Any reference to the
relevant regulations wold be great. Are these specific to each council?

What is the situation regarding bushes? I have a few that are larger than
some of the trees...

TIA.

Thanks for all the useful advice - Trees are now gone (trees? what trees?
;-) )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Tit is an old Germanic word for "small" and is used in various northern
European languages to refer to small objects, animals, or people,
especially
girlsfor example, titta is a Norwegian dialect word for "little girl."

Hence "Titty" in Swallows & Amazons.

Actually, not...funnily enough, have just been putting our Ransomes on a
new shelf.....

In the BBC series, they sanitised it to 'Kitty'.

You mean like Pussy?

How silly!

The real name was, of
course, Letitia, but she hated the name.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

PhilC wrote:
Many local authorities have sites covered by TPO's on their website it's
worth a look. Another poster mentioned volume of timber removed and Forestry
Commission licence I'm sure this does not apply to domestic situations and
never heard of a hedge/shrub TPO! May be he is referring to Ancient Monument
status of some very rare ancient hedgerows

In South Glos you can't see a list of TPOs, but you can see any relevant
applications.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message
from "JoeJoe" contains these words:

Thanks for all the useful advice - Trees are now gone (trees? what trees?

One of my neighbours had a tree clearing session a bit ago. A few weeks
later he put in an application for planning permission for a bungalow in
his garden. The planners demanded a tree survey but there were no longer
any trees in awkward places (and I won't have anywhere near as many
leaves to sweep up every autumn. :-) )

--
Roger Chapman