Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

Default Removal of (large) trees and planning

"Rick" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 22:52:01 +0100, "JoeJoe" wrote:

What is one allowed/not allowed to do with regards to trees in one's
private
garden?

Am I allowed to trim them? Cut them down? etc. Any reference to the
relevant regulations wold be great. Are these specific to each council?

What is the situation regarding bushes? I have a few that are larger than
some of the trees...

TIA.

AFAIK, unless there is a tree presrvation order, you can cut em down.
The act of asking if there is an order, often resuts in one occouring,
the reason being that as you are asking, they must be nice trees worth
keeping.

The fine for knocking down preserved trees is not as much as the cost
of keeping them. Also oonce planning see em, they may insist you keep
em.

Round here devlopers move in, and chainsaw all the tress at say 4am,
then they go for planning. This stops an order being made before they
are finished. Any fines thay may get are just part of the
cost-of-works.

That was my thinking as well.

Whilst I usually always follow the law to the letter (makes me sleep better
at night...), waiting nearly two years for a planning permission, just
because we were honest and clear about our plans has exhausted our patience
for the council lot. They seem to take great pleasure in making your life
difficult... One change alone to our plan resulted in an extra £10k added to
the overall cost... Despite allowing the houses to the right and left of us
doing exactly what we were planning to do, one only a year ago, they
insisted that they cannot allow us to do it now...