Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

Default Looking for old adverts for houses in 1970s

I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers
in England in the mid 1970s. Haven't found anything on the internet so
far.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Hibbert

MM wrote:
I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers
in England in the mid 1970s. Haven't found anything on the internet so
far.

MM

Ok, keep us posted though won't you......
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers
in England in the mid 1970s. Haven't found anything on the internet so
far.

Does anyone know where I might find some?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:23:24 +0100, MM wrote:

I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers
in England in the mid 1970s. Haven't found anything on the internet so
far.

Does anyone know where I might find some?

MM

What about the microfiches of your local newspaper archives? These are
often found at the public library.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

MM wrote:
I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers
in England in the mid 1970s. Haven't found anything on the internet so
far.

Does anyone know where I might find some?

Try a library for back issues or advice on same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:18:25 +0100, MM wrote:

|I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers
|in England in the mid 1970s. Haven't found anything on the internet so
|far.

Your Local Central Library will have the Local Newspapers going back to the
year dot. Find the Local studies section. They are usually on
Microfilm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:18:25 +0100, MM wrote:

|I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers

Local newspaper office will have back issues.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"MM" wrote in message
I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers
in England in the mid 1970s. Haven't found anything on the internet so
far.

Does anyone know where I might find some?

MM

"District" Libraries usually have micro-filmed copies of local (and
national) newspapers. You haven't specified any particular 'local'.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , MM
writes
I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers
in England in the mid 1970s. Haven't found anything on the internet so
far.

Ask your local carpet fitters etc to look out for what people have under
their carpets etc

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:28:49 +0100, Mike Halmarack ... wrote:

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:23:24 +0100, MM wrote:

I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers
in England in the mid 1970s. Haven't found anything on the internet so
far.

Does anyone know where I might find some?

MM

What about the microfiches of your local newspaper archives? These are
often found at the public library.

Yes, I had thought of that. But I want to see prices of houses where I
used to live, in Kent. I now live in the Fens.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:04:03 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers
in England in the mid 1970s. Haven't found anything on the internet so
far.

Does anyone know where I might find some?

MM

"District" Libraries usually have micro-filmed copies of local (and
national) newspapers. You haven't specified any particular 'local'.

Maidstone - Ashford rural district. Large house. 19 bedrooms. 3 acres.
Approx 1975.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:51:36 GMT, dave wrote:

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:22:04 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , MM
writes
I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers
in England in the mid 1970s. Haven't found anything on the internet so
far.

Ask your local carpet fitters etc to look out for what people have under
their carpets etc

Not quite what you are looking for but I came across some pre-war Country Life
type mags. It was just great to read things like:. House 5 bathrooms, 8 bedrooms
etc etc. Includes stables various outbuilding and approx 10 acres of land. etc
Price £10000 (or something silly like that) sigh

Ours was massive. My parents ran it as an old people's home. 19
bedrooms set in 3 acres. But they rented it. I want to find prices of
similar properties at the time (mid 1970s).

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"MM" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:04:03 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
I am looking for old adverts from property pages in local newspapers
in England in the mid 1970s. Haven't found anything on the internet so
far.

Does anyone know where I might find some?

MM

"District" Libraries usually have micro-filmed copies of local (and
national) newspapers. You haven't specified any particular 'local'.

Maidstone - Ashford rural district. Large house. 19 bedrooms. 3 acres.
Approx 1975.

MM

Hmm; I don't know the area ... but you do know how to 'Google' presumably?

Thirty-odd seconds of cut'n'pasting got me the following;-

http://www.digitalmaidstone.co.uk/di...lt.aspx?page=0

Maidstone Library, St. Faiths' Street, Maidstone ME14 1LH Telephone (01622)
752344

Archives - Centre for Kentish Studies, County Hall, Maidstone ME14 1XQ
Telephone (01622) 694363

Newspapers

a.. Maidstone Adscene, 3 Broadway Centre, Maidstone ME16 8PS Telephone
(01622) 690339
b.. Kent Messenger Group Ltd, 6-7 Middle Row, Maidstone ME14 1TG
Telephone: Newsroom (01622) 695666/ Advertising (01622) 695777
c.. Weald Courier, 2 Imber Court, High Street, Cranbrook TN17 3HE
Telephone (01580) 713692

As 'they' say; - 'ask a man who knows' ... there should be a contact at one
of these telephone numbers that will be able to zero-in your vague enquiry.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:52:25 +0100, Owain
wrote:

MM wrote:
Ours was massive. My parents ran it as an old people's home. 19
bedrooms set in 3 acres. But they rented it. I want to find prices of
similar properties at the time (mid 1970s).

There possibly aren't that many *similar* properties to a
nineteen-bedroom house; if there are particular properties that you know
of meeting your criteria then the Land Registry might be a
better/quicker place to search. More recent house prices can be got free
on the internet.

But in this case it's 1970s prices I'm interested in. The online land
registry stuff (at least, on RightMove) only goes back five years.

MM