Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Extending audio / video feeds ..?

Hi All,

If one wanted to extend (say) the composite video and l/r audio
signals from (say) a DVD player to a screen in another area (about 7m
as the cable runs .. and assuming one doesn't need planning
permission or Part P Annex A ("Re-wiring audio equipment in yer own
home")) what would be the best cable to use for the least losses /
issues please?

I believe the video needs a ~75 ohm co-ax and I'm also aware some of
the 'better' cables can get quite big but this cable needs to
terminate in a basic phono connector? It will probably be 'lost' in
the floorspace / trunking down an internal wall ..

Would the L/R audio leads *ideally* need to be individually screened
(to prevent xtalk) and if so do they do a 'Figure-of-eight' cable
(video+2 x audio) that would give decent specs and still keep the
audio cables separate (assuming that matters etc)?

The audio cct is yer typical 1V p'p 'Aux' type role (ie not phono
etc).

I don't need made-up-leads so stuff off a roll would be ideal?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
T i m wrote:
[...]

Might be worth trying something like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=9706032054
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=9705976575
to see if it's good enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 17:26:54 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
T i m wrote:
[...]

Well you can't go wrong with the price .. unless you have to drag it
all out again that is? ;-(

But if someone has used said (later reply) and it worked then maybe we
will be ok ..?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 18:13:19 +0100, Owain
wrote:

T i m wrote:
If one wanted to extend (say) the composite video and l/r audio
signals from (say) a DVD player to a screen in another area (about 7m
as the cable runs .. and assuming one doesn't need planning
permission or Part P Annex A ("Re-wiring audio equipment in yer own
home")) what would be the best cable to use for the least losses /
issues please?
I believe the video needs a ~75 ohm co-ax and I'm also aware some of
the 'better' cables can get quite big but this cable needs to
terminate in a basic phono connector? It will probably be 'lost' in
the floorspace / trunking down an internal wall ..

A lot depends on the phono connector; you can get "professional" ones

Something like RG59B/U / Belden 8241 (Maplin XS52G) would probably be
suitable. 6mm O/D so would need a suitable phono plug, perhaps Maplin JU06G

Wow, thanks for that fella ;-)

I suppose the solid core would be ok for the static 'stuck on the
floorspace' runs but for the ends shouldn't it really be stranded (I
assume you can get it like that) for flexibility ..?

Would the L/R audio leads *ideally* need to be individually screened
(to prevent xtalk) and if so do they do a 'Figure-of-eight' cable
(video+2 x audio) that would give decent specs and still keep the
audio cables separate (assuming that matters etc)?

Ideally individually screened, figure-8 audio cables readily available,
eg Maplin XS93B, XS39N, XR21X,

Quite a selection there!

And all less than 7mm od so will go in the fancy phono connectors ;-)

I suppose environmental noise (electrical and audible), the quality of
the overall equipment and the accuracy of the ear of the listener will
all also play a part ..?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
T i m wrote:

If one wanted to extend (say) the composite video and l/r audio
signals from (say) a DVD player to a screen in another area (about 7m
as the cable runs .. and assuming one doesn't need planning
permission or Part P Annex A ("Re-wiring audio equipment in yer own
home")) what would be the best cable to use for the least losses /
issues please?
I believe the video needs a ~75 ohm co-ax

that would do fine. FWIW it would be carrying a signal of around
1/100th the frequency its designed to carry.

and I'm also aware some of
the 'better' cables can get quite big

no need, more marketing than anything.

but this cable needs to
terminate in a basic phono connector? It will probably be 'lost' in
the floorspace / trunking down an internal wall ..

A lot depends on the phono connector; you can get "professional" ones

Something like RG59B/U / Belden 8241 (Maplin XS52G) would probably be
suitable. 6mm O/D so would need a suitable phono plug, perhaps Maplin JU06G

Wow, thanks for that fella ;-)

I suppose the solid core would be ok for the static 'stuck on the
floorspace' runs but for the ends shouldn't it really be stranded (I
assume you can get it like that) for flexibility ..?

I'd use one piece of flex, stranded, rather than join them. Solid core
would do if rarely moved, but not ideal.

Would the L/R audio leads *ideally* need to be individually screened
(to prevent xtalk) and if so do they do a 'Figure-of-eight' cable
(video+2 x audio) that would give decent specs and still keep the
audio cables separate (assuming that matters etc)?

Any of the mid range figure of 8 twin screened would be ok, avoid the
bottom price very thin stuff. And avoid oversized things. 4mm or 5mm
o/d per each half of the figure of 8 will be fine.

I suppose environmental noise (electrical and audible), the quality of
the overall equipment and the accuracy of the ear of the listener will
all also play a part ..?

not really, the cables mentioned here are way above the spec where they
would make any effect on the sound.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 12:35:46 +0100, Owain
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Something like RG59B/U / Belden 8241 (Maplin XS52G) would probably be
suitable. 6mm O/D so would need a suitable phono plug, perhaps Maplin JU06G

I suppose the solid core would be ok for the static 'stuck on the
floorspace' runs but for the ends shouldn't it really be stranded (I
assume you can get it like that) for flexibility ..?

Why, how often will you be moving it?

Good point, however if there was a standed equiv with the same spec
wouldn't it be prudent to use it?

Ideally individually screened, figure-8 audio cables readily available,
eg Maplin XS93B, XS39N, XR21X,

Quite a selection there!
And all less than 7mm od so will go in the fancy phono connectors ;-)

Although to be honest in a domestic environment you could probably use
some phone cable and it wouldn't make much difference.

Quite possibly .. ;-)

I suppose environmental noise (electrical and audible), the quality of
the overall equipment and the accuracy of the ear of the listener will
all also play a part ..

You're wiring your lounge up, not a BBC regional transmission suite. I
leave it to you to decide whether this determines quality or economy of
approach.

Well that's just me I suppose ... If I have a choice between say 5
quid and a 'suck it and see' solution or 15 and 'that's the dogs' I'd
invest the extra tenner rather than face either suffering the
compromise or the work ripping it out and starting again?

If the alternative was 100 pounds then I would have to think very hard
... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:
[...]

.. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

the twin audio coax should be around 20-30p/metre retail

NT