Posted to uk.d-i-y
david thorpe

Default plinth for bath

Looking for a some advice, please. I'm fitting a stand alone bath and
want to place it on a plinth which I propose to make in wood and then
tile.
I'll do it crudely, ie with screws and brackets!
I've put a pic and the sizes at
http://www.dthorpe.net/viewing/
Any advice on wood, dimenions of wood, covering for the top to fit the
tiles (ply?) gratefully received.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

david thorpe wrote:
Looking for a some advice, please. I'm fitting a stand alone bath and
want to place it on a plinth which I propose to make in wood and then
tile.
I'll do it crudely, ie with screws and brackets!
I've put a pic and the sizes at
http://www.dthorpe.net/viewing/
Any advice on wood, dimenions of wood, covering for the top to fit the
tiles (ply?) gratefully received.

Well, hard to suggest dimensions of timber when you don't indicate how
tall you want your plinth (or what purpose the plinth serves - just
raising the height of the bath? Concealing pipework?)

In principle, if you want a ~4" high plinth, I'd lay lengths of 4"x2"
timber on their sides, at right angles to the direction of the floor
joists underneath, if any; and cover the top and sides using 0.75" WBP
plywood. Ensure that the new 4"x2" timbers lie directly beneath the
feet of the bath.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david thorpe

Sorry! The meaurements and a pic are on the web site indicated.
Basically, 20cm high, 130cm wide and 2 metres long.
I'd like to conceal the waste piping.

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:47:02 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

david thorpe wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

david thorpe wrote:
Looking for a some advice, please. I'm fitting a stand alone bath and
want to place it on a plinth which I propose to make in wood and then
tile.
I'll do it crudely, ie with screws and brackets!
I've put a pic and the sizes at
http://www.dthorpe.net/viewing/
Any advice on wood, dimenions of wood, covering for the top to fit the
tiles (ply?) gratefully received.

18mm ply is about right..with some cross pieces in the middle
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

18mm ply is about right..with some cross pieces in the middle

I'd go along with that. 18mm ply is incredibily strong. Bear in mind that
with the bath and the water you have a sh*t load of weight to support.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

david thorpe wrote:

Any advice on wood, dimenions of wood, covering for the top to fit the
tiles (ply?) gratefully received.

For ease I would probably use a bit of 7x2" chopped into appropriate
lengths. That way you can just sit it straight on the floor, add a
couple of noggings to stop it moving about and clad it in 3/4" WPB ply.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
lemmy

Thanks for that everyone. As mentioned, it's a hell of a weight-
especially with me in it!
John Rumm wrote:
david thorpe wrote:

Any advice on wood, dimenions of wood, covering for the top to fit the
tiles (ply?) gratefully received.

For ease I would probably use a bit of 7x2" chopped into appropriate
lengths. That way you can just sit it straight on the floor, add a
couple of noggings to stop it moving about and clad it in 3/4" WPB ply.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

david thorpe wrote:
Looking for a some advice, please. I'm fitting a stand alone bath and
want to place it on a plinth

Isn't a 'plinth' a homosexual platform?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Isn't a 'plinth' a homosexual platform?

I'll see your plinth and raise you a daïs.

--
Skipweasel

cutting down kitchen unit plinth Tim Smith UK diy 9 September 5th 05 09:01 AM
Black plinth cyclerider UK diy 15 August 27th 05 05:55 PM
MDF bath panel and plinth Jo King UK diy 4 June 21st 05 07:26 PM
Kitchen Plinth Drawers Steve C UK diy 6 November 6th 04 01:56 PM
Kitchen plinth which way up? David UK diy 1 July 3rd 03 04:58 PM