Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Kew hobby V coffee grounds, no contest! ;-)

Hi All,

I noticed this arvo that my neighbours side drain was full of
something that on closer inspection was coffee grounds (it looked more
like a swamp though) !

I gave it a good poking about with a sharp stick (and a flexible drain
wire thing) but couldn't feel where the obstruction was.

So I dug out the old-but-trusty Kew Hobby and the drain clearing lance
I bought off eBay a while ago and let rip. Just as I thought we were
gonna flood the drain hole again (I'd bailed it out earlier to get the
grid out) it all went woosh and flowed away ;-)

I followed it up with the std lance and 'goesunder' one till it was
all squeeky clean ;-)

And as a 'thank you' I got a 128M Radeon 9600 Pro video card ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

I noticed this arvo that my neighbours side drain was full of
something that on closer inspection was coffee grounds (it looked more
like a swamp though) !

In 30 years of demonstrating & selling pressure washers to industry, two
things stand out as being the most difficult to clean off. One is hop
resin, the other is coffee.

You would assume it would be water soluble, but dried coffee residue on
processing machinery is a real PITA to shift.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:34:55 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

I noticed this arvo that my neighbours side drain was full of
something that on closer inspection was coffee grounds (it looked more
like a swamp though) !

In 30 years of demonstrating & selling pressure washers to industry, two
things stand out as being the most difficult to clean off. One is hop
resin, the other is coffee.

You would assume it would be water soluble, but dried coffee residue on
processing machinery is a real PITA to shift.

Visions of Dave going into a Starbucks fully clothed in oilskins and
sou'wester and hosing everything down - including the customers.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|T i m wrote:
| Hi All,
|
| I noticed this arvo that my neighbours side drain was full of
| something that on closer inspection was coffee grounds (it looked more
| like a swamp though) !
|
|In 30 years of demonstrating & selling pressure washers to industry, two
|things stand out as being the most difficult to clean off. One is hop
|resin, the other is coffee.
|
|You would assume it would be water soluble, but dried coffee residue on
|processing machinery is a real PITA to shift.

Our Coffee Grounds & Tea bags, go in the Compost Heap along with potato
peelings etc. I wonder what the effect of caffeine is on worms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

Our Coffee Grounds & Tea bags, go in the Compost Heap along with potato
peelings etc. I wonder what the effect of caffeine is on worms.

Apparently it gives slugs the whizzes - enough to discourage them. At
least, they can be seen rocketting off into the distance with steam
emerging from underneath.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

wrote:

|T i m wrote:
| Hi All,
|
| I noticed this arvo that my neighbours side drain was full of
| something that on closer inspection was coffee grounds (it looked more
| like a swamp though) !
|
|In 30 years of demonstrating & selling pressure washers to industry, two
|things stand out as being the most difficult to clean off. One is hop
|resin, the other is coffee.
|
|You would assume it would be water soluble, but dried coffee residue on
|processing machinery is a real PITA to shift.

Our Coffee Grounds & Tea bags, go in the Compost Heap along with potato
peelings etc.

I think he's gonna have to do something similar from now on .. or at
least sieve them and put them in the bin .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:50:04 GMT, T i m wrote:

I noticed this arvo that my neighbours side drain was full of
something that on closer inspection was coffee grounds

My father-in-law was a plumber. He used to say that small quantities
of coffee grounds flushed down a sink was beneficial. Something to do
with the scouring effect I guess.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:53:27 +0100, Richard Conway wrote:

Maybe it was beneficial to his income

He lived in an age where traders were honest. But he also gave the
same advice to his daughter - my wife. In 30 years I've never had to
unblock a kitchen sink.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike

Nigel Molesworth wrote in
:

He lived in an age where traders were honest. But he also gave the
same advice to his daughter - my wife. In 30 years I've never had to
unblock a kitchen sink.

Just let her do it, do you?

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:24:07 +0100, Owain wrote:

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
He lived in an age where traders were honest. But he also gave the
same advice to his daughter - my wife. In 30 years I've never had to
unblock a kitchen sink.

Well, you wouldn't would you, with a F-i-L in the business.

FiL has never done any work in my house. Tell a lie, he did take all
the taps to bits and regrease them. Thanks Pop.

No point in keeping a dog and peeing on your own lawn.

Doesn't stop me.

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Nigel Molesworth contains these words:

FiL has never done any work in my house. Tell a lie, he did take all
the taps to bits and regrease them. Thanks Pop.

I remember my uncle replacing a tap washer in the kitchen cold tap. He
decided that he couldn't be bothered to turn off the mains - after all,
the water couldn't come out /that/ fast, could it.

Luckily he did it in his own house.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Andy Hall wrote:

Visions of Dave going into a Starbucks fully clothed in oilskins and
sou'wester and hosing everything down - including the customers.

I quite like the sound of that! All those skinny double choca mocha frappe
latte's being washed away!

I'm a little worried about your vision Andy.