Posted to uk.d-i-y
Giggler

Default No Hot water with Celtic Boiler

We have an old Celtic FF boiler which is no longer heating water.

The heating system is fine but when you turn the hot water tap on the
boiler no longer switches on. When the heating is on and you turn on
the tap the boiler turns off.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be and if it is repairable.
We were hoping not to have to replace the boiler until we renovated the
kitchen.

Also if it is repairable would it be an expensive job if getting a
plumber in?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Moira

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 04:57:54 -0800, Giggler wrote:

We have an old Celtic FF boiler which is no longer heating water.

The heating system is fine but when you turn the hot water tap on the
boiler no longer switches on. When the heating is on and you turn on
the tap the boiler turns off.

Just to make sure that I'm not barking up the wrong tree...

This is a typical budget style Combi boiler by Chaffoteaux.

If you had not said that the heating is turned off by running a tap I
would have said the most likely cause is the diaphragm on the DHW side.
It might still be that.

Likely

Either: the diverter valve is moving just fine and the micro-switch that
tells the boiler to do HW has failed. Or: the diverter valve is not being
moved quite enough to make the microswitch operate but is being moved
enough that the flow to the rads is cut (which then causes the boiler to
turn off due to it's internal thermostat).

The spares required for this are probably a microswitch and/or a diaphragm
and some inhibitor. Less than half a day to fix if all goes well, and
assuming this diagnosis is correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

IIRC the diverter valve has a black casing containing two microswitches
mounted on the end of the operated shaft. The factory fitted switches are
not especially robust so I used to use a higher current rated type when
renewing them. A couple of these switches will be only in the order of a
fiver and its a trivial job to swap them as long as you ensure they remain
in place as you refit the casing lid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , John
writes

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

I have dozens of them - microswitches in the casing that is

a customer unloaded them onto me a couple of years ago

--
geoff

Salt content of softened water Steve B Home Repair 26 January 25th 06 04:06 AM
water cooler, water coolers, water dispenser, water dispensers,bottleless water cooler,bottleless water coolers,bottleless water dispenser,bottleless water dispensers water coolers UK diy 3 January 5th 06 08:23 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 7th 03 11:26 PM