Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default what happens when gas runs out

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:39:29 GMT, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

I think that we should do away with street lights anyway and cut down
on light pollution.

And what, pray, would we hang the politicians from when we finally get
fed up with 'em?

Meaning we're not fed up with them now?

I think that punishment to fit style would be appropriate - e.g. 10
rounds with Chris Byrd for Prescott, standing on Lenin's Tomb in his
underpants in January for Brown, etc.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On 19 Mar 2006 08:48:39 -0800, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

Nick wrote:
Matt wrote:

On 15 Mar 2006 10:30:52 -0800, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

Nuclear power plants can run almost indefinitely at 2% output but these
rates are rarely reached 24/7 especially no in summer.

2% ?

Chernobyl reached 100%, for a little while

Quite nearly right.

The graphite cored ones are pretty safe at 2%, not that I am advocating
them.

What the hell is this 2% you keep referring to? If it is the idea
that you can run a nuclear reactor at 2% output forever then you will
have to totally rethink the steam turbines to cater for very "wet"
steam.

2% on a 660MW AGR is 13MW. The auxiliaries alone are over 20MW and
until you start pulling good vacuum on the condensers and start using
feed heating the efficiency is very, very poor.

So the question has to be asked just exactly what was the point you
were trying to make?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"tim (in sweden)" wrote in message

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:02:07 GMT Fray Bentos wrote :
When it finally runs out / becomes too expensive / rare , will we
be living in all-electric homes?

Standard tariff electricity is 3-4 times the price of gas per kWh. But
as we build better insulated and better sealed homes that need a lot
less energy and as the price of gas c.h. servicing and repairs goes up
the TCO of electric heating may well become lower than for gas.

In some cases it already is.

When I owned a rental flat it used to cost me almost as much
to service the aged boiler [1] each year than I payed in electric
to heat my own all electric (UK) house.
There were some studios in the same block with GCH that could easily have
been kept warm with 2 NSR at less TCO.

What is an NCR? Nigh storage rads? If so, then say that.

GCH is installed because buyers 'expect' it. It really annoys me
when I see these property programs criticise a small flat with
perfectly adequate for the size of the property NSRs because
"it needs GCH installing".

Night storage rads are basically crap. They tend to be big and don't give
out heat when you want it.

The only time electricity is viable for space heating is when the house is
highly insulated. One current thread someone mentioned his friend did this
and his heating system rarely comes on. Swedish insulation levels. In fact
he is insulated to higher levels as we have a temperate climate.

Electricity tends to be "service" free, but not maintenance free. Things do
go wrong. In a highly insulated house it may be worth having individual wall
hung electric heaters that can be unplugged and replaced by the user to
avoid maintenance bills. It is usually cheaper to replace than repair these
days.

But!! Try selling a house with electric CH, even though it may be cheaper
overall. Myths go for decades. Another myth is forced air too. "Much"
superior to a rad system if well designed and fitted, but the stigma of the
1960s cheapo systems council blocks lives on.

One classic case was in Milton Keynes in the early 1990s, when one of the
countries first heatingless eco houses in Energy Park went on sale. The
dumbo estate agent dropped the price by £2 to 3K as it never had a heating
system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:46:32 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:48:51 +0000, Andrew Sinclair
wrote:

Capturing the CO2 from a power station and stuffing it down an oil field
(Enhanced Oil Recovery as it is known) would save the cost of carbon
credits and release valuable oil so it is of great interest to the oil
and power industries. Trouble is, getting the CO2 to the oil fields
requires pipelines - yet another national infrastructure (and the
technology to scrub the CO2 out of the power plants - very immature at
the moment) so the best option is to build new coal plants on the East
Coast of the UK close to the North Sea oil fields.

... or build nuclear ones and not have the carbon issue in the first
place.

Matt, we do away with street lights because we all glow in the dark.

I think that we should do away with street lights anyway and cut down
on light pollution.

Matt, well you have the answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"tim (in sweden)" wrote in message

It really annoys me when I see these property programs criticise a small
flat with perfectly adequate for the size of the property NSRs because
"it needs GCH installing".

Night storage rads are basically crap. They tend to be big and don't give
out heat when you want it.

Oh dear.

I am in agreement with this idiot. Perhaps he has learned a few things
since he was IMM.

Night stores wake you up at night having made the room unbearably warm.
So you open a window and try and arrange the bed to be a little less
heat retentive. All while you are half asleep. Then you get up and open
a few more windows and heat the planet until late morning when you can
start closing them.

By mid afternoon you will have the windows closed on a cold day and by
evening the time that most single occupants normally come in from work,
you need to wrap up -as the storage has unstored its heat.

They are a monstrous waste of sleep, health, energy and space. If you
need to block up all the ventilation in the home, you are going to be a
sick puppy when the asian flu comes. And it will be here sooner or
later.

Get your sinuses sorted out pdq if you want to survive. Plenty of fresh
air, exercise, fresh food and balanced meals. And you could still be a
gonner this time next year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:08:35 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Capturing the CO2 from a power station and stuffing it down an oil field
(Enhanced Oil Recovery as it is known) would save the cost of carbon
credits and release valuable oil so it is of great interest to the oil
and power industries. Trouble is, getting the CO2 to the oil fields
requires pipelines - yet another national infrastructure (and the
technology to scrub the CO2 out of the power plants - very immature at
the moment) so the best option is to build new coal plants on the East
Coast of the UK close to the North Sea oil fields.

... or build nuclear ones and not have the carbon issue in the first
place.

Matt, we do away with street lights because we all glow in the dark.

I think that we should do away with street lights anyway and cut down
on light pollution.

Matt, well you have the answer.

I usually do...

--

..andy

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Their ********, preferably. If any of them have any.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

One classic case was in Milton Keynes in the early 1990s, when one of
the countries first heatingless eco houses in Energy Park went on sale.
The dumbo estate agent dropped the price by £2 to 3K as it never had a
heating system.

And it still didn't sell because of the location.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
Night stores wake you up at night having made the room unbearably warm.
So you open a window and try and arrange the bed to be a little less
heat retentive. All while you are half asleep. Then you get up and open
a few more windows and heat the planet until late morning when you can
start closing them.

Storing heat at one point of the day if energy is cheap then and releasing
it when it's needed later on isn't rocket science. That most electrical
storage heaters didn't do this is because they were cheap and nasty.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
marble

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:23:52 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

marble wrote in message
Politics is often as important in deciding where drilling takes place as

the
feasibility of extraction.

We could do with building some proper aircraft carriers to secure the
oil thats rightly ours. Oh we are...

But...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3718567.stm

-

Seems the problem is the ships wont have a catapult but just a ski
slope thing so weight is a problem. Maybe they'll buy he French naval
plane:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/2006/03/f35-joint-strike-fighter-program-uk-update/index.php#more

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

One classic case was in Milton Keynes in the early 1990s, when one of
the countries first heatingless eco houses in Energy Park went on sale.
The dumbo estate agent dropped the price by £2 to 3K as it never had a
heating system.

And it still didn't sell because of the location.

That was Richard's first and only venture into estate agentsism

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

marble wrote in message

We could do with building some proper aircraft carriers to secure the
oil thats rightly ours. Oh we are...

But...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3718567.stm

-

Seems the problem is the ships wont have a catapult but just a ski
slope thing so weight is a problem.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...fighter-progra
m-uk-update/index.php#more
Maybe they'll buy he French naval
plane:

God help us !
Perhaps we should get the Chinese to tender a quote for this,
since we no longer have the ability to manufacture anything in this
country.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Sinclair

In message , Guy King
writes
And what, pray, would we hang the politicians from when we finally get
fed up with 'em?

Trees. Which have the additional benefit of removing carbon dioxide
from the atmosphere.
--
Andrew Sinclair http://www.smellycat.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I think that we should do away with street lights anyway and cut down
on light pollution.

And what, pray, would we hang the politicians from when we finally get
fed up with 'em?

Their ********, preferably. If any of them have any.

So - you're suggesting we hang them up by their ******** from their
********? Hmmm, it's got a nice evil twist to it but I'm not sure of the
practicalities.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
One classic case was in Milton Keynes in the early 1990s, when one of
the countries first heatingless eco houses in Energy Park went on
sale. The dumbo estate agent dropped the price by £2 to 3K as it
never had a heating system.

And it still didn't sell because of the location.

That was Richard's first and only venture into estate agentsism

That comment might make more sense if you explained who 'Richard' was and
what 'agentsism' was. I'm sure you can find a website to quote which will
help you.

--
*Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Guy King
writes
The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I think that we should do away with street lights anyway and cut down
on light pollution.

And what, pray, would we hang the politicians from when we finally get
fed up with 'em?

Their ********, preferably. If any of them have any.

So - you're suggesting we hang them up by their ******** from their
********? Hmmm, it's got a nice evil twist to it but I'm not sure of the
practicalities.

The new face of bootstrapping

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Guy King wrote

So - you're suggesting we(?) hang them up by their ******** from their
********? Hmmm, it's got a nice evil twist to it but I'm not sure of the
practicalities.

And doing it themselves to boot!

I would like to see that. Any chance?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Storing heat at one point of the day if energy is cheap then and releasing
it when it's needed later on isn't rocket science. That most electrical
storage heaters didn't do this is because they were cheap and nasty.

But designing one that doesn't take up more room than the inhabitant is
rocket science. Making it work efficiently is brain surgery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from "Weatherlawyer" contains these words:

I would like to see that. Any chance?

They way slipperyTone is going....

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"tim (in sweden)" wrote in message

It really annoys me when I see these property programs criticise a
small
flat with perfectly adequate for the size of the property NSRs because
"it needs GCH installing".

Night storage rads are basically crap. They tend to be big and don't
give
out heat when you want it.

Oh dear.

Oh a fool says something. What does he say?....

I am in agreement

Another new recruit to the uk.d-i-y Lunatic Association. He should get on
well with the senile one.

snip drivel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Mark" wrote in message

marble wrote in message

We could do with building some proper aircraft carriers to secure the
oil thats rightly ours. Oh we are...

But...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3718567.stm

-

Seems the problem is the ships wont have a catapult but just a ski
slope thing so weight is a problem.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...fighter-progra
m-uk-update/index.php#more
Maybe they'll buy he French naval
plane:

God help us !
Perhaps we should get the Chinese to tender a quote for this,
since we no longer have the ability to manufacture anything in this
country.

Thanks to Thatcher and her small minded Little Middle England mentality.