John Keith

Default mower hard to start but runs great when started

My B&S powered mower has recently become very hard to start. In fact
the only way I've been able to start it is by spraying some starting
fluid into the cylinder. But once it is started it runs perfectly, no
misses, no RPM drops, etc. I recently had to completely drain the fuel
system as some water got into the tank but I've run a couple tanks
worth of fresh gas through the system. I do think the beginning of the
hard starting problem does correspond to the water in the fuel problem
so I think it is related. But I've run out of ideas to try to
eliminate the problem and would appreciate some suggestions from the
group.

Thanks for any ideas.

John Keith

Hound Dog

"John Keith" wrote in message
My B&S powered mower has recently become very hard to start. In fact
the only way I've been able to start it is by spraying some starting
fluid into the cylinder. But once it is started it runs perfectly, no
misses, no RPM drops, etc. I recently had to completely drain the fuel
system as some water got into the tank but I've run a couple tanks
worth of fresh gas through the system. I do think the beginning of the
hard starting problem does correspond to the water in the fuel problem
so I think it is related. But I've run out of ideas to try to
eliminate the problem and would appreciate some suggestions from the
group.

Thanks for any ideas.

John Keith

Had the same problem. Inadvertently left the mower out in a rain storm and
it would no longer start afterwards.

Poured the gasoline out, and let the tank dry for a day or two.
Then filled the tank using a measured amount of "Dry Gas" or some such
additive.

Pulled the cord and the mower started first time and has been starting on
the first pull ever since.

The instructions on the can of additive say it will do no harm and in fact
may be beneficial to use a measured amount of the additive every time the
gas tank is filled.

PaPaPeng

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:27:35 -0600, John Keith wrote:

But I've run out of ideas to try to
eliminate the problem and would appreciate some suggestions from the
group.

I don't see anything about a clean spark plug with a proper gap.
Joseph Meehan

PaPaPeng wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:27:35 -0600, John Keith wrote:

But I've run out of ideas to try to
eliminate the problem and would appreciate some suggestions from the
group.

I don't see anything about a clean spark plug with a proper gap.

Nor leaning the air cleaner.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Stormin Mormon

My Dad had (past tense) a generator with a 10 HP Tecumseh. It wouldn't start
one time, having not been run in a couple years since the last power cut. A
neighbor helpfully sprayed ether in the cylinder. The piston locked up, and
the machine threw a connecting rod. Not a good idea.

The other folks have had good suggestions -- drain all the gas out, and dry
it. Fresh gas. The other idea is to replace the gasket between the carb and
the side of the motor.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John Keith" wrote in message
My B&S powered mower has recently become very hard to start. In fact
the only way I've been able to start it is by spraying some starting
fluid into the cylinder. But once it is started it runs perfectly, no
misses, no RPM drops, etc. I recently had to completely drain the fuel
system as some water got into the tank but I've run a couple tanks
worth of fresh gas through the system. I do think the beginning of the
hard starting problem does correspond to the water in the fuel problem
so I think it is related. But I've run out of ideas to try to
eliminate the problem and would appreciate some suggestions from the
group.

Thanks for any ideas.

John Keith

Steve B.

. But I've run out of ideas to try to
eliminate the problem and would appreciate some suggestions from the
group.

Also consider a vacuum leak. If your carb to gas tank gasket or the
carb to intake gasket is leaking you could be pulling in enough air to
make starting difficult but not enough that you notice it under full
throttle.

Steve B.
John Keith

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did clean the air filter and the plug was serviced at the beginning
of the season but I'll check it again. And I'll look at the gaskets.

BTW, I never saw my original post on this group. Is that some problem
with my ISP?

John Keith

John Keith

Update:

The gasket between the carb and the air cleaner was pretty much shot.
This mower has a prime button and it appears the air channel for this
mechanism is routed underneath this gasket and through a small hole in
the gasket. It successfully started a couple of times yesterday and
we'll see about today when I really need to use it.

After replacing this gasket and observing the primer button I got to
wondering, mowers didn't use to have prime buttons and they started
fine. Why did the manufacturers feel they needed to add that
complicating factor?

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:26:31 GMT, Steve B. wrote:

. But I've run out of ideas to try to
eliminate the problem and would appreciate some suggestions from the
group.

Also consider a vacuum leak. If your carb to gas tank gasket or the
carb to intake gasket is leaking you could be pulling in enough air to
make starting difficult but not enough that you notice it under full
throttle.

Steve B.

John Keith

Rick

"John Keith" wrote in message
Update:

The gasket between the carb and the air cleaner was pretty much

shot.
This mower has a prime button and it appears the air channel for

this
mechanism is routed underneath this gasket and through a small hole

in
the gasket. It successfully started a couple of times yesterday and
we'll see about today when I really need to use it.

After replacing this gasket and observing the primer button I got to
wondering, mowers didn't use to have prime buttons and they started
fine. Why did the manufacturers feel they needed to add that
complicating factor?

Probably because too many people didn't know how to use a choke...

And it ended up being cheaper....

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
John Keith wrote:
[...]

Before the primer buttons became common, most small engines on mowers
and similar equipment had a choke lever. One advantage of the primer
button is that after starting, no furter action is required. With a
choke, after starting the choke lever must be returned to the open
position.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland