Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz

Default 12,000 spare safety matches, any ideas what to do with them?

Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne

Posted to uk.d-i-y
SJP

"Suz" wrote in message
Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne

Bonfire...but keep one back to light it...lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Slurp

"Suz" wrote in message
Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne

Re-tile the bathroom?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Suz wrote:
Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne

I've seen a small scale cathedral made of matches...they have a lot of time
on their hands in the nick.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:02:29 -0000, Suz wrote:

Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

Why?

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:
Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne

would make a hell of a firework.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TerryW

"Suz" wrote in news:4411bf03$0$4342$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne

Have I missed something here?

Why on earth are you emptying 400 match boxes ???

Your answer may give me inspiration to answer YOUR question :-/

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz

"Slurp" wrote in message

"Suz" wrote in message
Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne

Re-tile the bathroom?

Just said to hubby "can you imagine how long it would take to glue them on
the wall?", to which he replied "I think he means in the spaces between the
tiles..." Doh! I'm away to open a bottle of wine.

Suzanne

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Suz wrote:
Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Alas, most of the fun stuff is in contravention of the Fireworks act,
and probably terrorism legislation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Suz wrote:
"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:02:29 -0000, Suz wrote:

Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

Why?

Not much on the telly.

Playing cards with money is much better. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Suz wrote:
Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Alas, most of the fun stuff is in contravention of the Fireworks act,
and probably terrorism legislation.

I just asked the local Fireman Sam and he recommends storing them outside
the house in a bucket of water, and calling Environmental Health.

Doesn't sound like much fun : (

Suzanne

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz

"TerryW" wrote in message
"Suz" wrote in news:4411bf03$0$4342$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne

Have I missed something here?

Why on earth are you emptying 400 match boxes ???

Your answer may give me inspiration to answer YOUR question :-/

Terry

I refer the honourable gentleman/lady to my post of Jan 14:
http://tinyurl.com/m6gyr

I am now eagerly awaiting YOUR inspiration.

Suzanne

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

SJP wrote:
"Suz" wrote in message

Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne

Bonfire...but keep one back to light it...lol

That would be my solution too - but then, I'm a bloke. It's probably a
boy thing.

How about letting the competition winner light the fire?!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:02:29 -0000, "Suz" wrote:

|Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.
|
|What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Make a model of ????? in matches.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

"Suz" wrote in message
Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

EBAY!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz

"Lobster" wrote in message
SJP wrote:
"Suz" wrote in message

Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne

Bonfire...but keep one back to light it...lol

That would be my solution too - but then, I'm a bloke. It's probably a
boy thing.

Shut up. It's what I wanna do.

How about letting the competition winner light the fire?!

That's what I want to do. But I'm secretary of the PTA and some numpty'd
blow the eyebrows off the entire family and I'd be sued. Plus, see above.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz

"." wrote in message

"Suz" wrote in message
Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

EBAY!

1,000 points for the most creative answer so far!!
But not very DIY...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:10:03 -0000, Suz wrote:

1,000 points for the most creative answer so far!!
But not very DIY...

I was thinking the same thing. If the use of the matchboxes had enough
TV coverage, the matches would sell on eBay.

If you want DIY... no I can't.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Suz
writes

Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

How about letting the competition winner light the fire?!

That's what I want to do. But I'm secretary of the PTA and some numpty'd
blow the eyebrows off the entire family and I'd be sued. Plus, see above.

Never heard of it being tried before, but, you know those knocking down
domino competitions, well, if you have a field and a bit of patience,
you could put them in a line (heads touching), light one end, and watch
the spectacle

The winner could, of course, light it with a minimum of possibility of
third degree burns

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
"Suz" wrote in message
Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

EBAY!

I wonder how many years you'd get for sending ignitious materials
through the postal service.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Suz wrote:

EBAY!

1,000 points for the most creative answer so far!!
But not very DIY...

It will seem like it after you have listed 12,000 lots!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:09:16 -0000, "Suz" wrote:

|"Lobster" wrote in message
| SJP wrote:
| "Suz" wrote in message
|
|Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.
|
|What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?
|
|Suzanne
|

| Bonfire...but keep one back to light it...lol
|
| That would be my solution too - but then, I'm a bloke. It's probably a
| boy thing.
|
|Shut up. It's what I wanna do.
|

| How about letting the competition winner light the fire?!
|
|That's what I want to do. But I'm secretary of the PTA and some numpty'd
|blow the eyebrows off the entire family and I'd be sued. Plus, see above.

A trail of matches, maybe ?3*3? ?10? in all, or maybe a thicker trail,
would work like a fuse, light one end and the fire would run along the
trail. The person lighting it could then be far enough from the whoosh.
That would need some experiments to find out the size if the trail which
would sustain a fire to run along the trail
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
the keys to Civilization, together with legal acceptance of
Fundamental Human rights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Suz wrote:
Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Carefully remove the heads, sprinkle the bits in a line down the garden
path and ignite.
Build the Taj Mahal with the sticks.

Junior Member

Location: sunderland. england
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suz
Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne
Glue them together and make a piece of 1x1or2x2 then sell it on E-BAY
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes

|"Lobster" wrote in message
| SJP wrote:
| "Suz" wrote in message
|
|Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.
|
|What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?
|
|Suzanne
|

| Bonfire...but keep one back to light it...lol
|
| That would be my solution too - but then, I'm a bloke. It's probably a
| boy thing.
|
|Shut up. It's what I wanna do.
|

| How about letting the competition winner light the fire?!
|
|That's what I want to do. But I'm secretary of the PTA and some numpty'd
|blow the eyebrows off the entire family and I'd be sued. Plus, see above.

A trail of matches, maybe ?3*3? ?10? in all, or maybe a thicker trail,
would work like a fuse, light one end and the fire would run along the
trail. The person lighting it could then be far enough from the whoosh.
That would need some experiments to find out the size if the trail which
would sustain a fire to run along the trail

As I said last night

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:30:21 GMT, raden wrote:

if you have a field and a bit of patience,
you could put them in a line (heads touching), light one end, and watch
the spectacle

I think I'd pay to see that.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from TerryW contains these words:

Why on earth are you emptying 400 match boxes ???

If there are any spares I need about forty. Print 40 simple words and 40
matching pictures - put the words on the cover and the picture in drawer
and hand (not all at once to start with) to a child learning to read.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Young

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:02:29 +0000, Suz wrote:

Tonight is the great emptying ceremony of 400 matchboxes.

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne

Wait for summer and then ignite 12,000 (slow-moving) wasps ?

I'd pay to see that,

--

Phil Young

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from pitbull contains these words:

What is the best DIY thing I could do with the matches?

Suzanne

Glue them together and make a piece of 1x1or2x2 then sell it on E-BAY

Discover one of them has a picture of the Virgin Mary burnt into it,
then flog 'em on eBay.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Yes it is a word, I looked it up in Ignatius The Iguana's Igglish
Igtionary.
iggle

Is that Welsh?

No, it was a (g)iggle.

No - really?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mary Fisher"
saying something like:

"Owain" wrote in message
I wonder how many years you'd get for sending ignitious materials
through the postal service.
Yes it is a word, I looked it up in Ignatius The Iguana's Igglish
Igtionary.

iggle

Is that Welsh?

Igglish.
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Young

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:18:59 +0000, Rob Morley wrote:

That's *Mister* **** to you.

--

Phil Young