Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default Best Wall Surface behind bath with shower .

As part of renovating my bathroom I am thinking of retiling the wall
that houses the bath which has an electric shower attached to a false
wall at the taps end .
I can probably get away with tiling on top of the false wall as it was
a timber construction and is level .
The other wall ,along the long side of the bath ,already has two
layers of tiles and some are slightly uneven so I think the best
idea would be to remove tiles and whatever lies beneath...I can't
remember what I used when I did that years ago ....possibly hardboard
on battens .

So the question is ......what is the best surface to have in this
situation ?.
At present the tiles go to about 89" above the floor .... I will
probably be fixing battens to the wall . The other bathroom walls
have or are being plasterboarded...but I imagine that's not the best
solution for a tile that will be getting a degree of wetness every
day .(or is it .?)

Any ideas .

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Pearson

Stuart wrote:

Any ideas .

Aquapanel?? (as a replacement to the plasterboard), costs around £10/sqm
from wickes / B&Q WH etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 14:22:03 -0000, "Jonathan Pearson"
wrote:

Stuart wrote:

Any ideas .

Aquapanel?? (as a replacement to the plasterboard), costs around £10/sqm
from wickes / B&Q WH etc

Excellent .Thx for that .

I have heard of Aquapanel but wasn't sure what it was used for ...I
used to think it was some sort of waterproof panel to use as an end
product rather than under tiling .

Thats just what I need.

I see it comes in 900 x1200 and 900 x 2400 .
Is it heavier than plasterboard size for size so I can judge whether I
can carry it myself .I can get the smaller ones in my hatchback

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

wrote:

Stuart wrote:

Any ideas .

Aquapanel?? (as a replacement to the plasterboard), costs around £10/sqm

from wickes / B&Q WH etc

Excellent .Thx for that .

I have heard of Aquapanel but wasn't sure what it was used for ...I
used to think it was some sort of waterproof panel to use as an end
product rather than under tiling .

Thats just what I need.

I see it comes in 900 x1200 and 900 x 2400 .
Is it heavier than plasterboard size for size so I can judge whether I
can carry it myself .I can get the smaller ones in my hatchback

Agree, that's definitely the stuff to use. It's substantially heavier
(and more brittle) than p/b, yes. Have to say I've never seen the
2400x900 size, but TBH if I did I'd leave it on the rack. Heavy to move
and very likely to break in between Wickes and your bathroom wall.
You'll be able to lift the smaller sheets, they aren't that bad!

Note that you're supposed to use special expensive Aquapanel-brand scrim
tape and 'ceramic' screws - dunno how important it is but I've always
done so.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

Stuart wrote:

Any ideas .

Aquapanel?? (as a replacement to the plasterboard), costs around £10/sqm
from wickes / B&Q WH etc

Excellent .Thx for that .

I have heard of Aquapanel but wasn't sure what it was used for ...I
used to think it was some sort of waterproof panel to use as an end
product rather than under tiling .

Thats just what I need.

I see it comes in 900 x1200 and 900 x 2400 .
Is it heavier than plasterboard size for size so I can judge whether I
can carry it myself .I can get the smaller ones in my hatchback

Stuart

I've never seen Aquapanel used I've only ever used plasterboard behind
shower tiling and never had any trouble with it. My bathroom's old
tiling is coming off right now and almost without a doubt the
plasterboard behind it. The only reason I'd be tempted to put more
expensive boards up to back the new tiles, is if tiles can be removed
from this costly alternative without damaging the board to the extent
that it needs replacing each time re tiling takes place. If not, why
go to the extra expense and from what's been said, handling problems
in terms of weight and fragility?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

clever fixing of bath to wall batten ? [email protected] UK diy 21 September 9th 05 12:21 AM
Bath too narrow for shower screen ? heinzy UK diy 0 August 25th 05 10:01 AM
New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 02:13 PM
New bath and shower. Graeme UK diy 7 May 15th 04 12:35 PM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 11:50 AM