Graeme

Default New bath and shower.

Hi All

I'm fitting a new bath (standard 1.7m with a straight end (tap end) and a
sloped end) and shower and have a little question.
If I fit the bath with the tap end against the brick wall, then after the
cupboards have been fitted it will be tricky to gain access to the taps for
any maintenance. So I thought I could swap the bath around and have the
'shallow' end against the brick wall and the tap end against our 'cardboard'
wall (stramit : flipin' straw init?). But I'd still like to have the shower
fixed to the brick wall as it is far far stronger. So, do people actually do
this, have the shower mounted above the shallow end?
Thanks for any comments.

Terry D

Graeme wrote:
Hi All

I'm fitting a new bath (standard 1.7m with a straight end (tap end)
and a sloped end) and shower and have a little question.
If I fit the bath with the tap end against the brick wall, then after
the cupboards have been fitted it will be tricky to gain access to
the taps for any maintenance. So I thought I could swap the bath
around and have the 'shallow' end against the brick wall and the tap
end against our 'cardboard' wall (stramit : flipin' straw init?). But
I'd still like to have the shower fixed to the brick wall as it is
far far stronger. So, do people actually do this, have the shower
mounted above the shallow end?
Thanks for any comments.

My shower is installed on a 'cardboard' wall, although not the tap end of
the bath. This made the plumbing very easy - I just pushed the copper pipes
down from the loft into the cavity. I then pushed a length of 2" x 1" down
between the pipes. The shower was then fitted by screwing through into the
wood.

Terry D.

BigWallop

"Graeme" wrote in message
Hi All

I'm fitting a new bath (standard 1.7m with a straight end (tap end) and a
sloped end) and shower and have a little question.
If I fit the bath with the tap end against the brick wall, then after the
cupboards have been fitted it will be tricky to gain access to the taps for
any maintenance. So I thought I could swap the bath around and have the
'shallow' end against the brick wall and the tap end against our 'cardboard'
wall (stramit : flipin' straw init?). But I'd still like to have the shower
fixed to the brick wall as it is far far stronger. So, do people actually do
this, have the shower mounted above the shallow end?
Thanks for any comments.

As long as the shower doesn't leak on to the floor when you use it, you can have it
anywhere along the bath.

Nick Brooks

Graeme wrote:
Hi All

I'm fitting a new bath (standard 1.7m with a straight end (tap end) and a
sloped end) and shower and have a little question.
If I fit the bath with the tap end against the brick wall, then after the
cupboards have been fitted it will be tricky to gain access to the taps for
any maintenance. So I thought I could swap the bath around and have the
'shallow' end against the brick wall and the tap end against our 'cardboard'
wall (stramit : flipin' straw init?). But I'd still like to have the shower
fixed to the brick wall as it is far far stronger. So, do people actually do
this, have the shower mounted above the shallow end?
Thanks for any comments.

I prefer to have a shower over the shallow end as the water flows away
from you which tends to leave the bath cleaner.

The only thing to look out for is that there may not be a large enough
level area in which to stand

Nick Brooks
Graeme

"Nick Brooks" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:
[...]

It was the level standing area that was my prime concern.

Thanks to all for the other points mentioned.

Graeme

"Terry D" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:
[...]

My cardboard wall doesn't have a proper cavity. It only has a few vertical
tubes every foot or so to take wires. The rest of the space is packed with
straw. I could insert a short horizontal block of wood into this wall,
screwed into some dowels fed vertically in these tubes. Or, just screw the
shower to the brick wall. Hmm, decisions, decisions.
Thanks.

Lurch

On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:27:50 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Graeme"
strung together this:

I'd still like to have the shower
fixed to the brick wall as it is far far stronger.

What are you likely to be doing with the shower that needs it to be
extremely solidly bolted to a solid wall?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Owain

"Graeme" wrote
| So, do people actually do this, have the shower mounted above
| the shallow end?

Some baths have a dimpled area at the plughole end for standing in
(non-slip) and a smooth area at the other end (for sitting on).

Might be slippy using the shallow end for showering.

Owain