Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Default 300plus squids for a structural engineer report...

Chums

I phoned a structural engineer, wanting them to run their eye over a
wall I want to do some work to. There's two doors separated by a foot
or so of brickwork. Plan is to remove the doors and the intervening
brickwork and to put an rsj or whatever across the gap.

They're quoting 300 english squids to come over and to provide a
report. Seems a bit OTT to me. Any observations?

Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

"Mark" wrote in message
Chums

I phoned a structural engineer, wanting them to run their eye over a
wall I want to do some work to. There's two doors separated by a foot
or so of brickwork. Plan is to remove the doors and the intervening
brickwork and to put an rsj or whatever across the gap.

They're quoting 300 english squids to come over and to provide a
report. Seems a bit OTT to me. Any observations?

Our charged a bit more than that. he came with a builder (spade included)
who dug a couiple of holes and then filled them in. The guy with the spade
cost me over £200.. for a couple of hours work on a Saturday morning.

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Mark wrote:

I phoned a structural engineer, wanting them to run their eye over a
wall I want to do some work to. There's two doors separated by a foot
or so of brickwork. Plan is to remove the doors and the intervening
brickwork and to put an rsj or whatever across the gap.

They're quoting 300 english squids to come over and to provide a
report. Seems a bit OTT to me. Any observations?

We had a structural engineer over a few years back to examine a wall and
make recommendations, and he charged a little over £200. Was on-site for
about 1 hour. I was happy with that.

You have to take into account travel time, report writing time etc.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Mark wrote:
Chums

I phoned a structural engineer, wanting them to run their eye
over a wall I want to do some work to. There's two doors
separated by a foot or so of brickwork. Plan is to remove the
doors and the intervening brickwork and to put an rsj or whatever
across the gap.

They're quoting 300 english squids to come over and to provide a
report. Seems a bit OTT to me. Any observations?

Doesn't seem inherently unreasonable

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Grunff wrote:
Mark wrote:

I phoned a structural engineer, wanting them to run their eye over a
wall I want to do some work to. There's two doors separated by a foot
or so of brickwork. Plan is to remove the doors and the intervening
brickwork and to put an rsj or whatever across the gap.

They're quoting 300 english squids to come over and to provide a
report. Seems a bit OTT to me. Any observations?

We had a structural engineer over a few years back to examine a wall and
make recommendations, and he charged a little over £200. Was on-site for
about 1 hour. I was happy with that.

You have to take into account travel time, report writing time etc.

And liability insurance as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 12:57:20 -0000, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

They're quoting 300 english squids to come over and to provide a
report. Seems a bit OTT to me. Any observations?

Doesn't seem inherently unreasonable

Phones another one and he quoted 175squids. Now I'm worried he's too
cheap. Doh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
legin

If the doors are only 3feet wide * 2 and 1 foot in between you are only
talking about a 7 foot opening. As long as there are no apparent flaws
with the existing wall I would buy a catnic lintel (subject to what is
above) to suit and get a recommended builder to put in or advise.
Building regs are probably required but they will accept an off the
shelf lintel. Again a good builder will have had the experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Legin,
you are dead right.

It is not as if the Struct. Eng. is going to say that the RSJ must be
7.92837465 inches deep and 4.847294756 inches high. It is going to be
from stock so put in a big fat one.

What is above the lintel anyway. Apparently if you opening is 7 Feet
then the lintel has to support the weight of material in an equilateral
triangle of 7 Foot sides and the wall thickness.

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

"Grunff" wrote in message
Mark wrote:

I phoned a structural engineer, wanting them to run their eye over a
wall I want to do some work to. There's two doors separated by a foot
or so of brickwork. Plan is to remove the doors and the intervening
brickwork and to put an rsj or whatever across the gap.

They're quoting 300 english squids to come over and to provide a
report. Seems a bit OTT to me. Any observations?

We had a structural engineer over a few years back to examine a wall and
make recommendations, and he charged a little over £200. Was on-site for
about 1 hour. I was happy with that.

You have to take into account travel time, report writing time etc.

.... and qualification (a few years a uni.), and gaining experience, and
insurance. Just think what you pay a surveyor for a valuation survey (10
minutes at most) - no responsibility for anything reported and/or missed, an
estate agent, etc. I think this is good value.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Chums

I phoned a structural engineer, wanting them to run their eye over a
wall I want to do some work to. There's two doors separated by a foot
or so of brickwork. Plan is to remove the doors and the intervening
brickwork and to put an rsj or whatever across the gap.

They're quoting 300 english squids to come over and to provide a
report. Seems a bit OTT to me. Any observations?

Mark

I would also wonder if you need a struc eng report for that. The q in
my mind would be what is being supported above that 7', is it not just
a case of some wall?

Theres a house I saw with an opening somewhere around 7' wide with no
support at all. Bricks have stayed there for centuries, how I dont
know. All previous owners must have been very prompt about repairing
mortar cracks!

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
somebody

In message , Mark
writes
Chums

I phoned a structural engineer, wanting them to run their eye over a
wall I want to do some work to. There's two doors separated by a foot
or so of brickwork. Plan is to remove the doors and the intervening
brickwork and to put an rsj or whatever across the gap.

They're quoting 300 english squids to come over and to provide a
report. Seems a bit OTT to me. Any observations?

Mark

On the one hand I think his fee might be reasonable, on the other hand I
think he's taking the pee.

I recently had an architect round to do plans for a loft conversion, he
then had to commission a structural engineer. We now have detailed plans
(which the architect also managed through to building control approval)
for the full loft conversion including the structural work. Total cost
475 + BC fees.

In that sense, 300 squids sounds expensive for your single wall. In the
sense of 300 squids to be responsible for the structural integrity of
your house, well, I wouldn't do it :-)

Hth
--
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On 3 Mar 2006 14:44:10 -0800, wrote:

I would also wonder if you need a struc eng report for that. The q in
my mind would be what is being supported above that 7', is it not just
a case of some wall?

Somewhat sheepishly, I have now to own up to having spent some time
with some graph paper, mapping out what I want the redone kitchen to
look like, only to realise that the wall in question doesn't in fact
go up and become a bedroom wall, but evidently stops at the ceiling of
the ground floor. So it looks like the load-bearing element isn't
necessaarily an issue.

The house is 100yrs old, and it looks like that there were very few
walls going from ground floor to the first floor - just the interior
walls of the front room in fact, as the plans suggest that as with
many Edwardian houses of this type, the 'back' room wan't separated
from by a corridor from the stairs. And the back part of the house had
sequentially a breakfast room/kitchen/pantry/toilet - coalbunker -
washroom/ separated by walls which didn't go up into the first floor.
And above them the back of the first floor has sequentially a
bathroom/toilet/bedroom3/bedroom4 all separated by walls built on
(presumably) joists rather than coming from the floor below.

However, as there has already been a wall removed (between the kitchen
and breakfast room), and two chimneys have been removed on the ground
floor, but remain on the first floor and go up to full chimney posts
on the roof, I'll go ahead with the engineer, just to be on the safe
side.

Mark