Posted to uk.d-i-y
somebody

Default 300plus squids for a structural engineer report...

In message , Mark
writes
Chums

I phoned a structural engineer, wanting them to run their eye over a
wall I want to do some work to. There's two doors separated by a foot
or so of brickwork. Plan is to remove the doors and the intervening
brickwork and to put an rsj or whatever across the gap.

They're quoting 300 english squids to come over and to provide a
report. Seems a bit OTT to me. Any observations?

Mark

On the one hand I think his fee might be reasonable, on the other hand I
think he's taking the pee.

I recently had an architect round to do plans for a loft conversion, he
then had to commission a structural engineer. We now have detailed plans
(which the architect also managed through to building control approval)
for the full loft conversion including the structural work. Total cost
475 + BC fees.

In that sense, 300 squids sounds expensive for your single wall. In the
sense of 300 squids to be responsible for the structural integrity of
your house, well, I wouldn't do it :-)

Hth
--
Someone