Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

Default 300plus squids for a structural engineer report...

"Grunff" wrote in message
Mark wrote:

I phoned a structural engineer, wanting them to run their eye over a
wall I want to do some work to. There's two doors separated by a foot
or so of brickwork. Plan is to remove the doors and the intervening
brickwork and to put an rsj or whatever across the gap.

They're quoting 300 english squids to come over and to provide a
report. Seems a bit OTT to me. Any observations?

We had a structural engineer over a few years back to examine a wall and
make recommendations, and he charged a little over £200. Was on-site for
about 1 hour. I was happy with that.

You have to take into account travel time, report writing time etc.

.... and qualification (a few years a uni.), and gaining experience, and
insurance. Just think what you pay a surveyor for a valuation survey (10
minutes at most) - no responsibility for anything reported and/or missed, an
estate agent, etc. I think this is good value.