Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 300plus squids for a structural engineer report...

Mark wrote:
Chums

I phoned a structural engineer, wanting them to run their eye over a
wall I want to do some work to. There's two doors separated by a foot
or so of brickwork. Plan is to remove the doors and the intervening
brickwork and to put an rsj or whatever across the gap.

They're quoting 300 english squids to come over and to provide a
report. Seems a bit OTT to me. Any observations?

Mark

I would also wonder if you need a struc eng report for that. The q in
my mind would be what is being supported above that 7', is it not just
a case of some wall?

Theres a house I saw with an opening somewhere around 7' wide with no
support at all. Bricks have stayed there for centuries, how I dont
know. All previous owners must have been very prompt about repairing
mortar cracks!

NT