Posted to uk.d-i-y
Callum Lindsay

Default brake problem on Dewalt DW708

Having purchased a DeWalt DW708 for a good price three years ago, it has sat in the box virtually
untouched until this week, when I finally got round to the renovation work it had been purchased for
in the first place!

Anyway, after only a few days of very light use it has started acting-up. After releasing the power
switch the blade will continue to spin for several seconds, followed by a violent grinding sound as
the brake kicks in and brings the blade to a stop.

Has anyone any experience of this type of problem with this saw. Or, does anyone have any experience
of service support from DeWalt for tools well out of their warranty period, but barely used. I have
contacted them by email, but have yet to receive a reply.

The thought of having to have a potentially expensive repair done is not something I'm looking
forward to.

Any comments welcome (other than tough luck!)

thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Callum Lindsay

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:52:28 GMT, Callum Lindsay wrote:

[...]

never mind - fixed it - blade working loose!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:45:21 GMT, Callum Lindsay
wrote:

[...]

That's good news. It's a nice saw....

Two pieces of advice.

I looked at these some while ago along with the Makita LS1013 which is
in the same category as the DW708.

- It's worth spending time cleaning the crud away from the sliders
after each day's work. A quick wipe is all that's needed plus an
occasional couple of drops of oil.

- The blades even on these saws are quite good but not outstanding.
When it blunts, it's worth replacing it with a CMT or Freud blade.
I keep two grades - one for rough chopping work and one with more
teeth for precision cuts in hardwoods.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Callum Lindsay

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, bit of a tw*t!. This was the first thing I checked (or so I thought).

Cheers for the advice, much appreciated.

Totally agree about getting a better blade when the time comes. Went for Freud blades with my table
saw (DW744) and it was a big improvement.

thanks,

Callum

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Callum Lindsay, Bob S. wrote:
I wish I'd seen this earlier. I searched for hours for correct answers,
bought new bearings and brushes and took the saw apart, replaced the parts,
after viewing multiple methods and videos. Probably at least 20 hours in this
project. Problem still there. Saw this, tightened the blade. Problem
solved.... Damn, I feel like an idiot...

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...08-332293-.htm